The effects of recreational drugs inside the dreamworld

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
RedKryptonite

The effects of recreational drugs inside the dreamworld

Postby RedKryptonite » 12 Nov 2017 19:22

A question for those who are very experienced with a variety of recreational drugs.

Are you able to replicate the high/euphoria of those when inside a dream? (lucid or not)

Is it possible to replicate the effects of Heroin,meth,crack cocaine,etc. inside of the dream world? if so,this may be a fantastic way for drug addicts to find a safe way to indulge themselves. or is this simply not possible?

Summerlander

Re: The effects of recreational drugs inside the dreamworld

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2017 20:34

You are right.

I have taken salvia once and experienced a 'flashback' of the trip in a dream. I have also experienced being stoned after taking cannabis in dreams.

I have never taken meth or heroin. If I decided to do so now in a lucid dream, I guess I would merely experience my idea of what their highs must be like---and quite possibly far divorced from reality.

Addicts could do with lucid dream therapy along with doses of methadone to preclude adverse effects from going cold turkey.

It is important to remember that psychoactive properties of drugs do not entail the psychedelic 'magic', as it were. Drugs are merely composed of molecules of a particular shape.

The 'magic' is entirely in the brain---in its potentials for what form consciousness will take. Your brain has the potential to generate the equivalent of an acid trip without the aid of exogenous chemicals. The obstacles in the way of naturally accessing such mental trips are defined by the fact that such experiences are radically different from our cortical default mode.

For example, you can instantly access a profound experience of love and compassion that might take years for a monk to achieve through meditation. How? By taking a shortcut: MDMA.

And that's all drugs are. Shortcuts. The brain already has the power to generate such mental experiences. We could, in principle, stumble upon a heroin-like experience without taking the drug and via some type of meditation. But it certainly helps if one has already taken the drug because this one swiftly steers the brain into an unusual electrochemical activity.

I hope I was clear on this. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 13 Nov 2017 07:54

Summerlander wrote:I have taken salvia once and experienced a 'flashback' of the trip in a dream. I have also experienced being stoned after taking cannabis in
For example, you can instantly access a profound experience of love and compassion that might take years for a monk to achieve through meditation. How? By taking a shortcut: MDMA.

And that's all drugs are. Shortcuts. The brain already has the power to generate such mental experiences. We could, in principle, stumble upon a heroin-like experience without taking the drug and via some type of meditation. But it certainly helps if one has already taken the drug because this one swiftly steers the brain into an unusual electrochemical activity.

The more I hear about Meditation,the more interested I become in it. Fortunately,Aaron S. Elias will soon be releasing his book "Meditation without Bullshit." (he removes the mystical and supernatural myth/crap that's often associated with the activity,which I'm sure you're aware of.) and I'll be using that book as my entry to the activity. If nothing else,it will certainly help to improve my LD ability.

What are your most notable experiences with meditation? if I may ask.

This is all great to hear. One of my goals in life once I've established a stable and enjoyable lifestyle,is to live in a place where recreational drug use is legal(or at least decriminalized)and explore. I'll be sticking to the ones that aren't excessively dangerous (MDMA and psychedelics,for instance)but if I do ever decide to try something like Heroin or Cocaine,I'd certainly make sure to have a good foundation in both lucid dreaming and meditation so I could possibly recreate the experience without putting myself in harm,or at the very least prevent addiction.

You know,I've really missed the joint. As soon our school x-mas vacation begins,I'll certainly be making that one of my major LD goals.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Nov 2017 01:37

The more I hear about Meditation,the more interested I become in it.

Especially mindfulness meditation. In the East it's known as Vipassana. It provides a perceptual insight where you realise that your subjective reality is nothing but sensory information in perpetual flux---consciousness taking forms that come and go and create the illusion of time. It is about constantly finding your way back to the present until the now almost becomes part of your default mode.

Mindfulness will change your brain. You'll be less stressed and more focused. This will cause a stronger enthusiasm and curiosity about your daily life. During the practice you may even realise a truism: the self is also a narrative, a user illusion. When you catch that stillness that is really you, that naked awareness, you'll see that there is nobody watching. It's just feeling, seeing, hearing, thinking and no observer require. You are in that moment, not judging anything, allowing it all to be. You will see that there is no 'I' in the picture---a man with no head. :shock:

Look around you now as you hold this thought. You'll see that the whole world rests on your neck where a head should be. This sir, is my most profound and ineffable experience, which is why I always wonder if I do it justice with my description. :|

Fortunately,Aaron S. Elias will soon be releasing his book "Meditation without Bullshit." (he removes the mystical and supernatural myth/crap that's often associated with the activity,which I'm sure you're aware of.) and I'll be using that book as my entry to the activity. If nothing else,it will certainly help to improve my LD ability.

That's good! Always weed out the tripe. I can't stand unfounded statements. Many people prone to wishful thinking start making statements about reality with only descriptions of profoundly numinous experiences to show as they somehow believe that some strange epiphanic quality says something about the universe. They are mistaken and forget that it was all subjectively produced by their brains in the first place. :ugeek:

Just like the déjà vu---why can't it be a brain glitch whereby a nugget of information has a subconscious re-uptake thus creating a sequent sense of familiarity? And don't get me started on false memory ... :roll:

Look for scientifically philosophical sources for meditation and you can't go wrong. Joseph Goldstein, Mark Epstein, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Sharon Salzberg, or even the neuroscientist Sam Harris are quite sound. I've also read Eckhart Tolle---who talks about the 'power of now'---and he's on the money despite sometimes using that repulsive New Age jargon. 8-)

What are your most notable experiences with meditation? if I may ask.

Just described it above which happened on a number of occasions. But you might find more if you check out 'The Shocking Truth' thread which I started a while ago:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16533&sid=e9a1ac9f1f1cf538cc4e3caf4a3d7e2c

This is all great to hear. One of my goals in life once I've established a stable and enjoyable lifestyle,is to live in a place where recreational drug use is legal(or at least decriminalized)and explore.

Alaska; West Coast USA; Mexico; much of South America; The Netherlands; Portugal; Spain; South Africa; Russia; parts of India and Afghanistan etc. :mrgreen:

I'll be sticking to the ones that aren't excessively dangerous (MDMA and psychedelics,for instance)but if I do ever decide to try something like Heroin or Cocaine,I'd certainly make sure to have a good foundation in both lucid dreaming and meditation so I could possibly recreate the experience without putting myself in harm,or at the very least prevent addiction.

Y'know, I still remember my experiences with cocaine, MDMA, psilocybin and salvia divinorum at university. Because they've been committed to memory, I know my brain can emulate their effects well. I still smoke cannabis now and then. I've gone to bed stoned and still managed a DILD. According to some it affects their practice. I'm about to have joint now. :D

Sweet lucid dreams, amigo! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 22 Nov 2017 16:37

Are you able to replicate the high/euphoria of those when inside a dream? I have not experienced this

Is it possible to replicate the effects of Heroin,meth,crack cocaine,etc. inside of the dream world? I don't know

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 22 Nov 2017 16:39

24/7/365 wrote:Are you able to replicate the high/euphoria of those when inside a dream? I have not experienced this

Is it possible to replicate the effects of Heroin,meth,crack cocaine,etc. inside of the dream world? I don't know

The next time I achieve a lucid dream,I'll be sure to remember smoking a joint. (the one recreational drug I have extensive experience with)

I'll let you know my results ;)

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 22 Nov 2017 16:40

ok

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Nov 2017 17:43

I believe drugs are merely shortcuts to such altered states of consciousness. Lucid dreaming, I suspect, can be a gateway even to those highs achievable through the taking of toxic class A drugs. At the end of the day, the euphorias and the mental elevations are nothing but subjective effects of brain potentials.

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 23 Nov 2017 04:13

Lucid dreaming is medication

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 24 Nov 2017 14:39

@Summerlander
-About meditation,may I ask how taking it up has affected your Lucid dreaming life? Does it really significantly improve your chances of achieving lucidity because it makes you more aware?

Return to “Dream Science”