I'm new to the forum but old to lucid dreaming

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
noelnivel

I'm new to the forum but old to lucid dreaming

Postby noelnivel » 13 Oct 2013 02:12

hello. in '69 i had my first lucid dream, accidentally. i woke up suddenly when i realized i was dreaming but when i went back to sleep i dreamed exact same dream only this time i played with it a bit only to wake again. i went back to sleep and dreamed the exact same dream for a 3rd time. this time i had a conversation with the other person in my dream and woke in the middle of their response....but they finished their sentence in my ear. it lead me to i think we dream in the actual sensory areas of our brain.

later i had another lucid dream and then more...i didn't even know what to call it. i called it conscious dreaming but when i told my friends my experience no one believed me. i didn't know where i was, astro projections or whatever....so i set up experiments to see what i could learn. i set up books across the room to read from or chess problems to figure out and then check them when i awoke. i never made any connections between my dream states and this reality except once: i dreamed i was holding onto a sick or club as tight as i could and then willed myself to awake. i didn't expect i would have an actual club in my hand but that my hands would be held tightly together as if i had a club in my hands. waking up consciously i had to go through a thick fog or ether before i could see this reality and my body and hands somehow transcended from an upright, griping position to laying flat with hands at my sides. a very weird experience, like dissolving from one reality to reappear in another.

Once i found myself sleeping in a room where the bed wasn't in the right position and so would wake but the bed was still in an odd position so i figured i was still dreaming and woke again and then a third time waking to this reality...

otherwise i learned to explore without trying to do anything unusual as that would wake me and i found i could stay in a dream longer, for up to 1/2 hour . i tried to fly, though intellectually i knew i could do anything, but my psyche didn't believe i could. so had to go through many training/learning dreams. i started floating on flying cushions in a room...bouncing against the walls ....learning to steer. later i was able to fly by myself but low to the ground, inches off the floor. later still i went outside and would jump over the house but i was afraid to take off into the air for fear that i would go away too far...outer space? usually i just fly in safe zones. the psyche is a very interesting co-pilot that I've had to work with and make friends with in order to do what i want.

i spent virtually a week in bed once, rising only to pee and eat and plan new experiments, lucid dreaming.

I've tried to join others in their dreams and many other experiments, to no avail...i don't think astro travel is part of this experience...but that's just my experience.

it was only some 10 years later someone gave me a book on lucid dreaming by eager cayce that i heard this name. then another 10 years, i think when i heard of stephen labarge and his practical guide. I never needed to learn to lucid dream, lucky for me, it just happened. i think because I'm a light sleeper. i could fall asleep with a glass of water in my hand and not spill it, so, constantly vigil.

well, that's my intro. i hope it wasn't too long or boring. I'm excited finding a community to share and explore this stuff with....

tea

Re: I'm new to the forum but old to lucid dreaming

Postby tea » 14 Oct 2013 08:51

this hasn't been boring at all! it's so awesome to have experienced members, thanks for the introduction!

one short experience of mine: when i was little, i often wondered whether it's possible to take dream-objects into the real world. since i occasionally had lucid dreams, i tried it. one night i was dreaming about having won some sort of price (it was a golden cup). i then said to myself: "ok, i'll hold this thing as tight as i can, wake up and take it with me!"
i did, but all that happened was that i found myself lying in bed while clenching my fist....
(so much for that) :)

also, here's a list of lucid-goals - is there anything you have tried before?
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3462&p=16396#p16396
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

noelnivel

Postby noelnivel » 16 Oct 2013 02:42

Thanks tea! i like that list of goals....some, I've done and some i won't bother doing. what is the purpose of LD? just to have fun? when i was younger, early 20's, we used to do LSD in groups, put on music and party. But for me it wasn't enough. one day i turned off the music and went by myself inside. i thought ok, if this is all there is, then i'll keep dancing, bring on the clowns....but what if there's more to this. so shutting out extraneous input took me deep inside and from there way outside, that being one in the same. i found spiritualism, i did lots of personal therapy, worked out jealousy, anger...etc. and LOVE. i learned about the metaphysics of music, and so much more. I'd like to continue that exploration within LD.

i put you on my friends list. you my first. i think you might be someone who would like to explore the deeper issues....after flying around a bit, of course.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Oct 2013 06:03

Yea, lucid dreaming goes beyond self gratification.
There is nothing wrong with that, and it's a great respite from reality to satisfy our never-ending, insatiable desires, but after a while we start to think about something beyond simple pleasure.

What's beyond that?

Then we think about thought itself and become metacognitive and lucid dreaming becomes deeper. I even contemplate what 'emotion' is and have tried to explore, experiment, and induce them in dreams. Emotions have a big impact on the lucid dream world, and my moods effect the behavior of other dream people and can even effect the 'weather' in a dream. But then I wonder, why do I need to see or experience anything at all and just lay in a dark void space experiencing raw emotion? There's nothing wrong with flying around and I hope to have pleasurable dreams, but every now and then I get deep and 'explore the deeper issues' as you say. Exploring our own psyche.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it's deep. And BTW I think I forgot to say hello...... (I do things backwards sometimes! :lol: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

tea

Postby tea » 16 Oct 2013 08:59

HAGART wrote:I do things backwards sometimes! :lol:

i love backwards! :D
and i love the way you described this perspective on lucid dreaming! still, i also do it for fun :D
it simply depends....

and @ noelnivel:
i'm a little worried about these topics in a public forum - mostly because there are children present. i'm gonna send you a PM :)
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Oct 2013 15:51

HAGART wrote:why do I need to see or experience anything at all and just lay in a dark void space experiencing raw emotion?

I realize this is also pleasure seeking.
And even if I try a lucid dream goal or experiment I am doing it for fun too.
So I realize I also do it simply for fun. There's nothing wrong with that though! 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”