Lucid Granny

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
lestrahenry

Lucid Granny

Postby lestrahenry » 10 Apr 2017 22:08

Hi Folks, My name is Lestra, 62 years young and I am from the twin islands of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. I am an artist, crafter and gardener. Lucid dreaming has become my life interest, my goal is to get information from my higher self and inspiration for my art among other things. I have been at it for one year and the course has helped me have 6 lucids for the year so far. This forum is important to me as I have nobody to discuss this topic with. People around me think I nuts or "dealing with evil" as my country is littered with overly religious people. Hope to learn from and share with you all. Great to be here.
Lestra Henry

Petal

Re: Lucid Granny

Postby Petal » 12 Apr 2017 11:31

Hello, Welcome. I don't think your nuts or evil at all and share many of your interest. Maybe all countries are littered with overly religious people. I'm still shedding superstitious and limiting beliefs of my up-bringing. My parents are atheist and okay but my childhood rural uk surrounding could be pretty odd, unkind, dour and/or eccentric at times. It seem to me, that the people who think themselves the least nuts are the nuttiest. I have few people I can discuss dreams. Most people I know, won't admit to having much of a dream life at all. My friends will listen to theories about dreams but wont contemplate them with any depth. I can't help be curious because I have experienced unintentional lucidity from an early age. So this forum is important to me too.
I'm afraid my mean (evil) sense of humour gets the better of me sometimes. I tease people if I think their thinking is too fearful of shadows. I like futuristic sci-fi, paranormal and gothic romance and sometimes the concept behind them. There seems to be a lot of clever creative thinking and dream exploration going on to develop such concepts. I have a hons degree in design and social history but I'm mostly into support work now with people with learning difficulties.
When I was at university a guest lecturer, who also assisted a then very famous and conceptual designer, recommended that we read and studied things outside they general topics and curriculum to gain inspiration. I experimented a lot with dreams and art then. I wrote a thesis on the emerging cyber cultures comparing them to past street/youth cultures. I came across such concepts as selfish memeplexes, collective consciousness, smart drugs, trance/binaural beats music, trance machines and cyborg technologies and new age/outsider/alternative ideas about colour and symbolism. The Matrix films came out about the same time and I read the recommended sci-fi books by William Gibson. Im still interested in all that stuff as well as having a reasonable knowledge of more traditional art history and design. My two favourite books are massive tomes of sci-fi art and screen printing art full with large colour pics that appear to be inspired by vivid if not lucid dreams. I find it interesting that some of my learning disability clients can draw similar colourful pictures seemingly without thinking much about what they are doing. It's like they have no inhibitions about colour or don't muddy them with complex thinking. Sometimes in dreams I see things with a vivid simplicity I don't experience in waking life.
I am interested, What kind of art do you like and how do you go about dreaming art inspiration?
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

lestrahenry

Postby lestrahenry » 14 Apr 2017 04:18

Hi Petal,
So nice to hear from you. I started L.D only one year ago and I am trying to make them last longer as I get excited or carried away by a character, item or scenery. You seem very experienced and your work is so interesting. I knew nothing about L.D but I have been studying metaphysics for the past 30 years. One day while listening to Tom Campbell, physicist /consciousness researcher on You Tube, he mentions various realities and the dream reality being one. {Just the year before I started having strange experiences with my dreams so I did an online course in the meanings, only to realize that it was useless.} He worked in the 70's with a guy called Robert Monroe who had O.B.E's so I knew he had scientific proof that we as consciousness could go to these realities. Have you heard of him? Anyway, on the same page I saw many L.D channels and I listened to as many as I could. Everything came together, his theory{My Big Theory of Everything} of which the dream reality is part and all the stuff I learned from all the other metaphysical books came alive.... making "The Secret" child's play. I look forward to hearing from you again and would be thankful for tips and ideas . Take care...Bye for now.
Lestra

lestrahenry

Postby lestrahenry » 14 Apr 2017 04:30

Hi Petal,
I do oil paintings and pencil portraits so I need to ask my Higher self for inspiration. Problem I have had 13 L.D but none lasted longer than a few seconds. See I always have to get inspiration from something that I got from other people, even Google. Bad! I need my own thing. At my age flying etc. is not important, life purpose, learning to love unconditionally, knowledge, understanding, wisdom, courage and art lessons are vital. Thanks for your response.
Lestra

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 16 Apr 2017 16:04

Greetings Lucid Granny

I could be your father my eldest son will be 62 in May. I am 85 and enjoy my dreaming. I had a reasonable dream recall my whole life, but I only got into studying dreaming a few years ego. 2012 I found this website and I am sticking to it. My lucid dreams are far and few between.
I recall on the average 4 dreams per night, same fade quickly, others stick to my mind. I love body flying dreams and I often stand at a high mountain and jump to glide away. I also dream about flying any type of plane. ( I did fly gliders years ego ) I often dream now being at a Gliding camp. I found that part of my dreams does, reflect my attitude to my life, and not to make this posting to long, my present dreams are in general happy with lots of people, including dead friends, conversing with everybody, I have no problem having conversation with people. I am willing to share in detail how I got up to here. But I don't want to be a bore. :)

Petal

Postby Petal » 19 Apr 2017 21:12

Hi, Sorry it's been a few days. My support work is interesting, not what I first set out to do but rewarding just the same. I am trying to reintroduce art practice back into my life. I found formal art design education and commercial art jobs off putting and had given it up for a long time as it did not bring me much happiness or personal reward. I think I made the classic young persons mistake of comparing myself and my skills to others too much. I forgot how to enjoy art for it own sake. I like to make contrast fabric garments and multimedia illustrations when I can motivate myself to set aside the time.
I've seen Robert Monroe books on amazon and I did read The Secret and watch the film when it first came out. I'd like to know what exactly interested, inspires you or made you mention these particularly. Is it the metaphysical science, quantum physics or the idea of "matching vibrational frequency" for manifesting experiences of reality or is it something else?
I must of covered most of the themes of The Secret in my other reading because it didn't seem all that radical to me, either, or I simply only understood what I expected or wanted from it. It a while since I've thought about it, I'm no sure I remember correctly. My understanding of metaphysics is minimal, I admit...So The Secret can't have been very technical, for me to think it a bit blar blar. I know I was reading the book "Life's Missing Instructions Manual," by Joe Vital around that time. It has short chapter entitled with such things as "Your mind Operates under Its Own Conception" and "Everything is a Projection from Inside Yourself". As I remember, there was a lot of cross over from the two books and I preferred the manual. I realised recently that my reading is not at a great level. That's not to say I don't understand what I read, more that I don't use or analysis what I read anyway near as well as I could. I'm reading "How to Read a Book, The Classic Guide To Intelligent Reading" by Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren, to correct this and I wish I'd found the book years ago. The quality of the information I feed myself does seem to impact my dreams. The more I can sharpen the detail of my waking comprehension the more incisive my dreams become. I also just need to sharpen up to move on up my learning in general.
Somewhere, I read that dancers are better at lucid dreaming because a lot of their waking reality is spent acutely assessing were there bodies are in spatial space and in current time with the music. They have a good idea or internal visual body map, the sequencing of moves and who they are physically. I think artist who concentrate on "seeing" reality clearly have an advantage too. I'm sure live art class where I was instructed in "ways of right brain seeing" as pioneered by Betty Edwards helped a lot in how I experience dreams. I still do a kind of meditation were I try and switch off my descriptive commentary, which can be subjective and/or emotion lead and just "look" at things. I know I'm still comparing, stuff such as light and dark, texture, shape, form but I try not to put it into worded thoughts. It works as a good reality check.
My dream beliefs are flexible as to what works best for me. The current amount of books and approaches seems staggering to me, compared to when I was a teen trying to figure out what my odd spooky dreams were really about. I still struggle with understanding the difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming, to me it's all the same. Some of my experience and thoughts about my dream experiences correlate strongly with this lady. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMBNZspmn7I She is obviously a much more, knowledgeable, earnest, investigative and precise person...shrugs. Currently, my lucidity varies from dream to dream, night to night. Some are very lucid and I'm in a lot of control, others I know I'm dreaming but I just let it flow unless I decided I don't like the particular experience I'm having. I get a really good vivid lucid one once fortnightly. I'm recalling one to two dreams per night. The ones I remember most generally happen in the early morning.
Mostly my dreams are about adventuring and giving myself timeout to be me, free from social expectations. Colour is a dig influence and inspiration. I try to bring as much of it into my life and dreams as possible. In my dreams I'm just me in a world of beautiful colour and strange concepts. I love any kind of colour work. I could talk and listen about about colour all day, comparing different artist use of colour to another and so forth. I miss sitting in lectures and listening to how one artist saw the world different from the next and how they expressed themselves and their ideas. Sometimes I do a kind of dream prep where I spend a couple of days cramming information about an art theme or artist, looking a picture or real artwork . It helps if I can go to a nice exhibition. I then take a break and do something else and let the information kind of percolate into my lucid dream reality. It's a nice thing to do on holiday or if I've a couple of days off work. I don't like it when personal issues flavour or interfere with my dreams. Even if the personal insight is useful, I prefer my dreams to inspire rather than warn or instruct, which they sometimes do. Dream meanings I think are personal and can't be interpreted without understanding the dreamers association to the dream symbols. I've always used a simple old fashion dream dictionary and now I have an app that gives me instant general clues but I use my own reference first to decide what a dream is really about. The most sensible book I've read about dream interpretation is "what your dreams are telling you," by Cindy McGill. What Jung writes about dreams is interesting but it's hard going and I'm I bit rusty about the really deep stuff

Petal

Postby Petal » 19 Apr 2017 21:12

Hi, Sorry it's been a few days. My support work is interesting, not what I first set out to do but rewarding just the same. I am trying to reintroduce art practice back into my life. I found formal art design education and commercial art jobs off putting and had given it up for a long time as it did not bring me much happiness or personal reward. I think I made the classic young persons mistake of comparing myself and my skills to others too much. I forgot how to enjoy art for it own sake. I like to make contrast fabric garments and multimedia illustrations when I can motivate myself to set aside the time.
I've seen Robert Monroe books on amazon and I did read The Secret and watch the film when it first came out. I'd like to know what exactly interested, inspires you or made you mention these particularly. Is it the metaphysical science, quantum physics or the idea of "matching vibrational frequency" for manifesting experiences of reality or is it something else?
I must of covered most of the themes of The Secret in my other reading because it didn't seem all that radical to me, either, or I simply only understood what I expected or wanted from it. It a while since I've thought about it, I'm no sure I remember correctly. My understanding of metaphysics is minimal, I admit...So The Secret can't have been very technical, for me to think it a bit blar blar. I know I was reading the book "Life's Missing Instructions Manual," by Joe Vital around that time. It has short chapter entitled with such things as "Your mind Operates under Its Own Conception" and "Everything is a Projection from Inside Yourself". As I remember, there was a lot of cross over from the two books and I preferred the manual. I realised recently that my reading is not at a great level. That's not to say I don't understand what I read, more that I don't use or analysis what I read anyway near as well as I could. I'm reading "How to Read a Book, The Classic Guide To Intelligent Reading" by Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren, to correct this and I wish I'd found the book years ago. The quality of the information I feed myself does seem to impact my dreams. The more I can sharpen the detail of my waking comprehension the more incisive my dreams become. I also just need to sharpen up to move on up my learning in general.
Somewhere, I read that dancers are better at lucid dreaming because a lot of their waking reality is spent acutely assessing were there bodies are in spatial space and in current time with the music. They have a good idea or internal visual body map, the sequencing of moves and who they are physically. I think artist who concentrate on "seeing" reality clearly have an advantage too. I'm sure live art class where I was instructed in "ways of right brain seeing" as pioneered by Betty Edwards helped a lot in how I experience dreams. I still do a kind of meditation were I try and switch off my descriptive commentary, which can be subjective and/or emotion lead and just "look" at things. I know I'm still comparing, stuff such as light and dark, texture, shape, form but I try not to put it into worded thoughts. It works as a good reality check.
My dream beliefs are flexible as to what works best for me. The current amount of books and approaches seems staggering to me, compared to when I was a teen trying to figure out what my odd spooky dreams were really about. I still struggle with understanding the difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming, to me it's all the same. Some of my experience and thoughts about my dream experiences correlate strongly with this lady. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMBNZspmn7I She is obviously a much more, knowledgeable, earnest, investigative and precise person...shrugs. Currently, my lucidity varies from dream to dream, night to night. Some are very lucid and I'm in a lot of control, others I know I'm dreaming but I just let it flow unless I decided I don't like the particular experience I'm having. I get a really good vivid lucid one once fortnightly. I'm recalling one to two dreams per night. The ones I remember most generally happen in the early morning.
Mostly my dreams are about adventuring and giving myself timeout to be me, free from social expectations. Colour is a dig influence and inspiration. I try to bring as much of it into my life and dreams as possible. In my dreams I'm just me in a world of beautiful colour and strange concepts. I love any kind of colour work. I could talk and listen about about colour all day, comparing different artist use of colour to another and so forth. I miss sitting in lectures and listening to how one artist saw the world different from the next and how they expressed themselves and their ideas. Sometimes I do a kind of dream prep where I spend a couple of days cramming information about an art theme or artist, looking a picture or real artwork . It helps if I can go to a nice exhibition. I then take a break and do something else and let the information kind of percolate into my lucid dream reality. It's a nice thing to do on holiday or if I've a couple of days off work. I don't like it when personal issues flavour or interfere with my dreams. Even if the personal insight is useful, I prefer my dreams to inspire rather than warn or instruct, which they sometimes do. Dream meanings I think are personal and can't be interpreted without understanding the dreamers association to the dream symbols. I've always used a simple old fashion dream dictionary and now I have an app that gives me instant general clues but I use my own reference first to decide what a dream is really about. The most sensible book I've read about dream interpretation is "what your dreams are telling you," by Cindy McGill. What Jung writes about dreams is interesting but it's hard going and I'm I bit rusty about the really deep stuff

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 20 Apr 2017 03:32

I keep trying to tell you Petal and the other users on here, the difference between the 2 is one is a lucid dream, the other is a non-lucid dream. In order to have a lucid dream, one must be aware that they are dreaming, it isn't just about the control.
I have some lucid dream entries hidden on another website that are examples of what a lucid dream is, although I am not just going to give you the link where everyone can have access to it, I mean.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Petal

Postby Petal » 20 Apr 2017 16:06

lucidé wrote:I keep trying to tell you Petal and the other users on here, the difference between the 2 is one is a lucid dream, the other is a non-lucid dream. In order to have a lucid dream, one must be aware that they are dreaming, it isn't just about the control.
I have some lucid dream entries hidden on another website that are examples of what a lucid dream is, although I am not just going to give you the link where everyone can have access to it, I mean.

Hi, thank you, Lucidè,
I keep politely ignoring you because I, indeed do know, (and I'm sure I've tried written this before in other ways) that awareness is the prerequisite of all lucid experience. I assumed this is very basic understanding of what quality intelligent life and an authentic lucid dreaming is. Are you deliberately trying to rile me with your impertinence? Or are you just being wilfully sniffy because you dislike my queries about consciousness and reality or is it my reading matter you find ghastly and anaemic? Perhaps you think all wisdom comes from cartoons?
My lucidity/awareness in dreams alters depending on how much effort I put into reality checks and my dream journal. Any useful tips specifically for improving awareness in dreams will be mightily appreciated.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 20 Apr 2017 18:44

No I don't think your advise is bad at all, I quite enjoy reading some of the comments you make.

However, it's just that most users including yourself believe that "turning into a ghost/spirit/etc" and lucid dreaming are exactly the same thing. That is a huge misunderstanding. One is a type of dream control that could be used in a lucid dream, while inducing a WILD, or even in a dream with in a dream, but it is not a "lucid dream" itself. The main problem is users on here believe that they can really do this, so either they never gain their lucidity, or they lose the lucidity they gained in their lucid dream. There are many dream signs for I would say 75-85% of the users who use the technique (very similar to a WILD, but it is non-lucid) that point towards the experience being a dream when they talk about their non-lucid dreams, such as it being the wrong neighborhood, the letters blurring, trouble flying, and more, so it is very often up to many users to remind them to perform reality checks when they consciously induce these dreams. Remind them to look out for dream signs, while at the same time, we ourselves look out for our own dream signs.
Even if you were to end up "dream spying" in a dream, there are always signs to look out for when it comes to dreams. Flying, replication, invisibility, and intangibility are all dream signs, so if you happen to see yourself doing one of these abilities when using dream spying, you can achieve lucidity by knowing the experience isn't real. For example, that time where I was watching a pervert dump a body, and it was really happening at the same time I was seeing it in my lucid dream. Several reasons why I knew it was a dream, because I knew without a doubt I can't use intangibility, flying, cloning, and invisibility in real life. I still kept the ability to tell time and the weather in my lucid dream.
However no matter what advice I give out, it doesn't really matter. I have the sneaking suspicion you added me to your Foe list. I found out several users tend to put me on their foe list, so that's fine. You probably aren't even reading this post.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “Introduce Yourself”