Newbie here. Feeling a bit discouraged.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucidinthe sky

Re: Newbie here. Feeling a bit discouraged.

Postby lucidinthe sky » 09 Jul 2013 17:34

Sim B wrote:All I'm trying to say is that you have to really believe in it. I know it's hard to grasp, but it simply works that way. I, for one, was making several reality checks a day a year ago, but now I know that I wasn't really doing them. I was doing them because it was my "homework" to do them, but while I did them, I wasn't really thinking about doing them, so it didn't help at all. Hence the cheating reference. Thus, I couldn't LD.

From my experience, this is really the bottom line when it comes to lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is an exercise in focusing your will and intention. Not to say that techniques aren't important but directing your intent is not something that a lot of people have as a natural ability. Having lucid dreams for me pretty much requires the same effort as it did in the beginning. Generally speaking, I don't have them because I don't want them enough to focus my will and intention to the required level. The good part about learning it has been that I have also found that it works in waking life, although to a lesser degree. I know this is a hard concept to grasp as Sim B has already correctly stated, but it really is the crux of the matter. And it's really a great thing to learn and of course the experience is otherworldly.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Evravon

Postby Evravon » 10 Jul 2013 05:24

Going to post something here, now. It's the longest and most detailed dream I have been able to remember so far. This is what I wrote in my dream journal, exactly (Josh is my son, by the way):

Tuesday Jul 9th
Dreamt I was in a world where I had some type of animal companion that I rode on, like a mount. It could communicate with me but could not speak. I remember showing it to Josh and he was very interested in how cool it was. I also remember that it "evolved" like in Pokemon, and became a bigger, more powerful, completely different looking creature. It was more loyal and gained new abilities, but still loved me. Just before I woke up I remember that it was running around a huge field, and playing a game as it went. It had these long arms like a centipede and as it ran around the field they would stretch out and grab random people who were standing on the sidelines of the field and pull them onto its back for a ride. Then randomly grab them and put them back on the sidelines and pick up someone else. This was done very quickly and very gently, and the body was soft and furry, and the creature exuded a kind of happy "radiance" that made you understand how friendly it was and how much it loved us all. It was very warm.

Strange, no?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Sim B

Postby Sim B » 10 Jul 2013 07:59

Well, it certainly is a start. Before starting to consider having meaningful lucid dreams, you should be able to remember at least 1 dream every night, more if possible (3+ is best).

That's because having great dream recall will also help you recall those Lucid Dreams. :P You don't want to forget them. Eventually you will, but having written them down, you will never forget them entirely, for you are emotionally connected to them! If you can't remember even bits of it as you wake up, that ain't good. So, what you have to do now is get the habit of writing in the morning. Don't panic if nothing comes up one morning, just try to write something. If nothing comes, hope for the best, think about how it would be awesome to be writing a dream in your journal the next day. Think about that again before falling asleep, and hopefully, fall asleep having thought about that as your last thought of the day (it helps).

lucidinthe sky wrote:
From my experience, this is really the bottom line when it comes to lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is an exercise in focusing your will and intention. Not to say that techniques aren't important but directing your intent is not something that a lot of people have as a natural ability. Having lucid dreams for me pretty much requires the same effort as it did in the beginning. Generally speaking, I don't have them because I don't want them enough to focus my will and intention to the required level. The good part about learning it has been that I have also found that it works in waking life, although to a lesser degree. I know this is a hard concept to grasp as Sim B has already correctly stated, but it really is the crux of the matter. And it's really a great thing to learn and of course the experience is otherworldly.

Even experienced dreamers eventually become stressed in real life and thus, fail to lucid dream for a while. Why? because they lack intent. Like I said, you cannot fool your own brain, and if its thoughts are entirely turned away from lucid dreaming because your thoughts are as well, doing a small 5 seconds, distracted reality check won't help. I succeeded at doing my first vivid LD a while ago by being very, very focused on dreams, thinking about it throughout the day, before going to bed, after waking up and back to bed (wake back to bed method, good method =D ), reading on different techniques and whatnot.

In the end, I will state again that lucid dreaming happens in the brain, and you can't fool your own brain. Even if you maybe aren't aware that you are trying to fool it!
"Focus on the journey, not the destination" - Greg Anderson, 1964

Return to “For Beginners”