First Lucid Dream and Questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
ShadowWalker

First Lucid Dream and Questions

Postby ShadowWalker » 13 Aug 2013 15:35

I woke up very excited this morning, because I had had my first lucid dream! I'm going to give a description of what happened, and then hopefully I can get some questions answered.

I don't remember exactly what led up to this moment, but I ended up walking upstairs in my house to the living room. It was the dead of night, everyone was asleep, all the lights were off. I was messing with my iPhone when it suddenly disappeared from my hand and reappeared on the kitchen floor. Apparently this is a big problem for people (somehow I just had that general knowledge) so I just walked over and picked up my phone. I scrolled through some messages as I walked back into the living room.

And then I had a strange thought. I lowered my phone as I wondered to myself. "Now, wait a minute. My phone just disappeared from my hand and then REAPPEARED on the floor! That...that shouldn't even be possible. Wait...I must be dreaming!"

And then, everything came alive. The lights turned on in the house, the TV behind me turned on, and everything became hyper-realistic. It was almost as if someone took a picture and then turned the sharpness setting all the way up. I was filled with both awe and panic, panic because I knew that I was lucid, and that when most people become lucid for the first time, they lose it in the first few seconds. So I was going to rub my hands together when I realized I was frozen in place. I could see my hands in front of me (apparently I dropped my phone in excitement) yet I couldn't move them. Everything around me was frozen too, like there was severe motion blur in the picture I just described. The only thing not frozen was the sound of the TV behind me. So I panicked even more.

I guess out of sheer willpower, I was able to move again. I rubbed my hands together, and the motion blur went away. I looked at my surroundings: it was obviously just my house, the TV on some news station. I decided to go big or go home, I wanted to change my surroundings. I closed my eyes and spun in a circle, imagining a landscape. I opened them, and...nothing. Still just my house. Perhaps it was the sound of the TV that prevented me from letting go of my current surroundings.

Well, I wanted to do SOMETHING before I lost my dream! So I picked up my phone and threw it at the wall. There was an explosion, and I had left a slight tear in the wall big enough for me to crawl through. So I crawled in. I was crawling through some grey insulation, feeling it rub against my skin. It seemed like I traveled for a good distance before making it out into some odd cage. The door to the cage was open, and inside I could make out part of some orange machine. Behind the machine, it looked like the inside of an underground sewer system. I crawled out of the hole and examined the cage itself. Above the door was a sign marked "Sunrise 10-15LR" or something to that effect. As soon as I stepped out of the cage, I woke up.

I apologize for that not-so-brief description. I'm still just really excited! It wasn't what I expected, however. I guess what gets me the most is that you are supposed to be able to do whatever you want in a lucid dream. Yet, I was so limited.

Why couldn't I move at first? Why did everything have that motion blur? Why couldn't I change my surroundings? And how come, even though I was constantly concentrated on staying lucid, did I suddenly wake up?

Thank you very much for hearing me out and answering my questions! :D

taniaaust1

Re: First Lucid Dream and Questions

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Aug 2013 05:23

Cool first LD :) , when you got to the sewer part I thought you were about to tell us you spent the rest of the LD crawling in the sewers stuck there or something :lol:

Now, wait a minute. My phone just disappeared from my hand and then REAPPEARED on the floor! That...that shouldn't even be possible. Wait...I must be dreaming!"

The lights turned on in the house, the TV behind me turned on, and everything became hyper-realistic.. It was almost as if someone took a picture and then turned the sharpness setting all the way up.

Symbolism of your increased awareness going on eg the lights turning on. The house was symbolizing yourself. The TV coming on.. your new waking self awareness of your senses in your dream, sight/sound etc. It became hyperrealistic due to your emotional response to the experience. When you are more used to LD, it may then be more to you like real life unless you come to expect it to be hyperrealistic to which it may then continue to appear like that to you. It was sharper as you become sharper (aware). Everything in a LD which you arent creating due to your own waking mind being there too, is your own subconsciousness creating. So all your thoughts/feelings etc all become expressed visually etc.

I was filled with both awe and panic, panic because I knew that I was lucid, and that when most people become lucid for the first time, they lose it in the first few seconds. So I was going to rub my hands together when I realized I was frozen in place. I could see my hands in front of me (apparently I dropped my phone in excitement) yet I couldn't move them. Everything around me was frozen too, like there was severe motion blur in the picture I just described. The only thing not frozen was the sound of the TV behind me. So I panicked even more.

I personally think that being frozen, could well of been an subconscious expression of "panic" eg the expression.. frozen in fear. Once again, how you were feeling, your emotional state, impacted your LD and manifested something (frozeness) into your dream.

You will learn that everything you think or feel in your LDs can have consequences :) (hence watch those emotions and thoughts if you want a dream to be going more how you want it to go).

I could see my hands in front of me (apparently I dropped my phone in excitement) yet I couldn't move them

Your phone probably just vanished due to you not thinking of it and thinking and feeling about other things. Had you wanted that phone back again.. just think about it being in your pocket and reach in and get it.

I guess out of sheer willpower, I was able to move again.

Two things control a LD, your subconsciousness and your waking mind. In this case you used the willpower of your waking mind to override what your subconsciousness was doing. So this was probably the very first time you "willed" as such something in your dream and took some real control over it. You successfully altered your dream with this.

hint: make sure you focus on your LD successes with things and not the things which you failed when you tried to manifest as that can cause people blocks in the future. Build your LD manifestation success feeling up, so you can find it easier to change things in LDs in future.

Perhaps it was the sound of the TV that prevented me from letting go of my current surroundings.

yeah, if you could still hear that tv and had some focus on it, it would help keep you from moving out of the location. Try turning the TV off first next time so you can let go of it in your focus. Thou if you had managed to properly ignore it, it's noise shouldnt have held you there.

Another thing you could of tried when you failed to change locations with spinning due to that TV, is that you could of tried to use the TV itself as a portal into another place which was on the TV eg climb into the TV picture. Pictures on walls and TVs can be good for entry points to another location (I havent thou myself tried that).

The great thing about LDs is there is so many different options of things you can do or try to do.

(i'll post this now in case i loose it, but will add more to this post
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Aug 2013 05:47

ShadowWalker wrote: Well, I wanted to do SOMETHING before I lost my dream! So I picked up my phone and threw it at the wall. There was an explosion, and I had left a slight tear in the wall big enough for me to crawl through. So I crawled in.

:D great thinking there using a mobile in that way lol. I think this is the part of your LD I enjoyed most reading. A great LD action. (we should start up a thread, 50 good ways to use a mobile phone while dreaming.. they could be used to knock a sabre tooth tiger out or whatever. Its only ones imagination which imposes the real limits)

I was crawling through some grey insulation, feeling it rub against my skin. It seemed like I traveled for a good distance before making it out into some odd cage. The door to the cage was open, and inside I could make out part of some orange machine.

You were lucky you found yourself in such an easy LD. It was the crawling in small places which caused your subconciousness to create a cage. Fortuantely for you it wasnt locked.

Above the door was a sign marked "Sunrise 10-15LR" or something to that effect. As soon as I stepped out of the cage, I woke up.

im curious. Was it sunrise when you woke up? or sunrise could of been the symbolism of your growing awareness due to your LD experience.

Thanks for such a great LD description. I hope Ive helped you to understand more about how dreams work.

hint 2: Try not to think of waking up during the dream. The more you do that, the more likely it will be that you could as it puts your thoughts onto your physical body in bed. Instead.. put all your focus onto hopefully enjoying the LD, immerse yourself in it.

It is also I personally believe a myth that beginners are going to quickly wake up from a LD. I think it all depends on how deep the dreamer is when they first wake up to find themselves in a dream. With some methods eg WILD one may also enter a dream not so deep so there can be more issues in staying in it or deepening it. My original LDs when I was a beginner, were very long when I'd just suddenly wake up to find myself dreaming. If beginners are thinking they are going to have a short dream just cause they are a beginner, then they are likely to do so. (a self forefilling prophecy). Dont worry that you are going to wake up unless you can feel yourself starting to do so eg dream starting to fade or whatever (at which point stabilization techniques do need to be quickly used etc). The more you can relax and immerse yourself into the dream without stressing about waking up, te better.

hint 3 You may also find it helpful in future to have 2-3 dream goals in mind too. Focusing on things one really wants to try in a dream or find out about, can also help to keep one in a dream longer. Work out what these goals which you could do are before you have another LD (if one stops and thinks about this kind of thing for too long during a dream, that can cause one to wake up.. so be prepared and know what you wish to do in advance). Of cause you dont have to be doing your dream goals in your next dream but having some mind still could come in handy.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Aug 2013 18:37

ShadowWalker wrote:I guess what gets me the most is that you are supposed to be able to do whatever you want in a lucid dream.

That's a big misconception. Still exciting though wasn't it?
In some lucid dreams you will have more control, but not always.

"Sunrise 10-15LR" - Signs and words are a little messed up like that. I know exactly what you are talking about. Even reading a digital clock can sometimes incorperate letters in it: Like, 9:R6 p.m.

Throwing the phone at the wall. That sounds like something I would do. It's fun to destroy things knowing there are no consequences. And sometimes they explode. One time I threw a paper airplane at a wall and it hit and there was a mini hollywood, gas explosion!

I'm curious to know what was being said on the TV. If you had watched and listened, I wonder what they were talking about. Or it may have been gibberish just like the sunrise-sign. That can happen too.

ShadowWalker wrote:Why couldn't I move at first? Why did everything have that motion blur? Why couldn't I change my surroundings? And how come, even though I was constantly concentrated on staying lucid, did I suddenly wake up?

Maybe you couldn't move because you realized in the back of your mind that you are asleep, and with muscle atonia (sleep paralysis), so there for you got a mixed message and felt like you couldn't move your dream body, because you couldn't move your actual body. (Just a theory). I sometimes have a hard time walking and keep falling down at the beginning of a LD before I get my bearings.

I find it hard (nay impossible for me so far) to change surroundings in an instant. Going through a door or window tends to help. But I always just take what the dream gives me and have never been able to create a dream scene exactly as I intend it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Aug 2013 08:36

It would only be like visualisation and kind of boring if LDs were predictable. Its the unpredictability that keeps them exciting :)

WilliamGuzman

Postby WilliamGuzman » 09 Sep 2013 12:01

ShadowWalker wrote:I woke up very excited this morning, because I had had my first lucid dream! I'm going to give a description of what happened, and then hopefully I can get some questions answered.

I don't remember exactly what led up to this moment, but I ended up walking upstairs in my house to the living room. It was the dead of night, everyone was asleep, all the lights were off. I was messing with my iPhone when it suddenly disappeared from my hand and reappeared on the kitchen floor. Apparently this is a big problem for people (somehow I just had that general knowledge) so I just walked over and picked up my phone. I scrolled through some messages as I walked back into the living room.

And then I had a strange thought. I lowered my phone as I wondered to myself. "Now, wait a minute. My phone just disappeared from my hand and then REAPPEARED on the floor! That...that shouldn't even be possible. Wait...I must be dreaming!"

And then, everything came alive. The lights turned on in the house, the TV behind me turned on, and everything became hyper-realistic. It was almost as if someone took a picture and then turned the sharpness setting all the way up. I was filled with both awe and panic, panic because I knew that I was lucid, and that when most people become lucid for the first time, they lose it in the first few seconds. So I was going to rub my hands together when I realized I was frozen in place. I could see my hands in front of me (apparently I dropped my phone in excitement) yet I couldn't move them. Everything around me was frozen too, like there was severe motion blur in the picture I just described. The only thing not frozen was the sound of the TV behind me. So I panicked even more.

I guess out of sheer willpower, I was able to move again. I rubbed my hands together, and the motion blur went away. I looked at my surroundings: it was obviously just my house, the TV on some news station. I decided to go big or go home, I wanted to change my surroundings. I closed my eyes and spun in a circle, imagining a landscape. I opened them, and...nothing. Still just my house. Perhaps it was the sound of the TV that prevented me from letting go of my current surroundings.

Well, I wanted to do SOMETHING before I lost my dream! So I picked up my phone and threw it at the wall. There was an explosion, and I had left a slight tear in the wall big enough for me to crawl through. So I crawled in. I was crawling through some grey insulation, feeling it rub against my skin. It seemed like I traveled for a good distance before making it out into some odd cage. The door to the cage was open, and inside I could make out part of some orange machine. Behind the machine, it looked like the inside of an underground sewer system. I crawled out of the hole and examined the cage itself. Above the door was a sign marked "Sunrise 10-15LR" or something to that effect. As soon as I stepped out of the cage, I woke up.

I apologize for that not-so-brief description. I'm still just really excited! It wasn't what I expected, however. I guess what gets me the most is that you are supposed to be able to do whatever you want in a lucid dream. Yet, I was so limited.

Why couldn't I move at first? Why did everything have that motion blur? Why couldn't I change my surroundings? And how come, even though I was constantly concentrated on staying lucid, did I suddenly wake up?

Thank you very much for hearing me out and answering my questions! :D

There is nothing to think deep about the dream.. Just try to live normal life and these dreams will become nice once again

Return to “For Beginners”