Hi, very worried about Lucid Dreaming and getting started!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DreamyRoamer

Hi, very worried about Lucid Dreaming and getting started!

Postby DreamyRoamer » 28 Aug 2013 21:55

Hiya!
So I'm new to Lucid Dreaming. I know what it is and all, but I really badly would like some answers to my questions/worries! :3

Well, the first thing is a worry. I really want to start Lucid Dreaming, I'm prepared and everything and I have a Dream Journal ready and I have been doing reality checks so that I can get used to it and do it in my dream. However, one thing has been really bugging me and I try to take my mind off it but I can't! I am so worried that I might turn my dream into a nightmare! It's just such a horrible thought. I barely ever have nightmares and the last time I had one was about a year ago ( Not kidding! ) but it suddenly came to me that I could have a nightmare while Lucid Dreaming! I would hate it soo much because when I get nightmares, they aren't always the most pleasant!

Oh! And I have another worry! I heard of Dream Paralysis, and it really freaked me out how you can see horrible images and monsters around you and not be able to move! I'm kinda confused, but does it happen if you do Lucid Dreaming and it somehow goes wrong? I was planning on Lucid Dreaming tonight, but these two things are making me so worried!

I also heard you could control your Lucid Dreams. I would really like to meet old friends out of memories from the past of them... OK OK! I actually want to meet an Anime Character who I am madly obsessed with! But that's not the point! Can you control them as I heard, and how hard is it to achieve?

And last of all, any tips on Lucid Dreaming? I'm quite interested and really want to start! I know the basics, but is there anything that can help?

Thanks!
It was on the day before the day after yesterday.

Goldkoron

Re: Hi, very worried about Lucid Dreaming and getting starte

Postby Goldkoron » 28 Aug 2013 22:05

I have not had nightmares in a long time, so I may be different, but none of my lucid dreams have ever had anything scary in them. If you know you are dreaming, there is no point in being scared, you can just laugh at the monster and blow it up or something.

For me, as I like to still call myself a beginner, lucid dreams are still a fight to stay in. Once you are in the lucid dream, its a struggle to stay in it without waking up, the feeling of waking up is very noticeable, and there are multiple things you can do to stay in it. Such as focusing on objects, TOUCHing objects works a lot, and staying calm. Also, I do not recommend rubbing your hands together, because every time I have tried that, I nearly woke up, its better to touch dream objects.

Inside your dream, you have control, just controlling your own mind in order to control is the hard part. Every lucid dream for me is usually a randomly generated dreamscape, you may find yourself exploring and forgetting what you seek to do.
Do a reality check

Juggernaut625

Postby Juggernaut625 » 28 Aug 2013 22:15

I'm yet to experience a 'Full' LD where I actually explore, but I've been told by many people that when you become lucid you have the power to stop it and it can actually tell you something you didn't know about yourself earlier. So really, I actually want to experience it since the main reason I'm learning to LD is to conquer my fears and learn more about myself.

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 28 Aug 2013 22:18

Thanks for the quick replies! It's taken a load off my shoulders ^^

And thats a good point... I guess I could just laugh at anything scary I see!

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Aug 2013 11:19

Dreamyroamer: Nightmares in non-lucid dreams are worst than in lucid dreams. That's my opinion. If you can lucid dream, you should have no fear of having nightmares. By the contrary. You should feel lucky, because now you can control, conquer and fight those nightmares. As Goldkoron said, if you know you are dreaming, there is no point in being scared.
For me, when horrible things happen, that's a trigger for lucidity. I give you an example of a dream that i had last night:
I'm inside a house with a woman, looking at a yard. Then we hear an explosion. The woman runs to hide. I don't know what to do. Then an evil spirit appears in front of me, like 20 feet away in a corridor. The spirit looks like those on the Grudge or The Ring movies. Very scary. It looks at me and flies fast towards me to kill me or possess me. I feel scared and when it touches me i feel a shock and it triggers my lucidity. And then i say to it:
-"Oh, allright. This is a dream. I'm not scared anymore. So, "spirit", you want to kill me? Take your best shot. Is that everything you got?"
The spirit stood close to me but frozen. Nothing happened then.

So, my suggestion is. Don't be scared of having nightmares. When you have one, take advantage of that and be calm, ignore it or talk to it... You'll see the changes.

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 29 Aug 2013 17:32

Thanks Highlander, helps a lot!

Last night I didn't get a Lucid Dream sadly. One thing DID strike as weird however. I woke up in the middle of the night about 2 AM and then went back to sleep. But then once again I woke up ( Not sure of the time I was too tired to check that time ) and went back to sleep again. I was wondering if I maybe did have a lucid dream, but just couldn't remember? It was a little weird as I kept awaking for no reason! I have heard you can get a bit startled in a Lucid Dream etc, so maybe I just kept waking myself, which would explain my sudden awakenings.

I am still going to train hard to Lucid Dream THIS night!

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Aug 2013 17:43

DreamyRoamer wrote:One thing DID strike as weird however. I woke up in the middle of the night about 2 AM and then went back to sleep. But then once again I woke up ( Not sure of the time I was too tired to check that time ) and went back to sleep again. I was wondering if I maybe did have a lucid dream, but just couldn't remember? It was a little weird as I kept awaking for no reason! I have heard you can get a bit startled in a Lucid Dream etc, so maybe I just kept waking myself, which would explain my sudden awakenings.

It could be a lucid dream or not. It could be a non-lucid dream, a sound in waking life, a thought that startled you. This happens to me a lot.

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 29 Aug 2013 17:50

Mmm I guess you are right! I wont know lol, because I forgotten my dream!

I also want to ask, reading that you have had a Lucid Dream, do you have any tips?

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Aug 2013 17:58

DreamyRoamer wrote:I also want to ask, reading that you have had a Lucid Dream, do you have any tips?

Tips for having lucid dreams? Yes. Keep reading this kind of foruns and books about it. Learn from other's techniques and the meaning of dream signs. It will help.
I can recommend you a technique that i've been using that is called B-MILD (Breathing induced MILD).
You think of a phrase while breathing in and breathing out until you sleep. It can be something like:
"(breath in)... Tonight i want...(breath out)... to have a lucid dream..."
This will enter your mind in such a way that can trigger a lucid dream. Currently i'm doing phrases to perform some tasks, like:
"In tonight's dream, i would like to fly to the moon." or "Find an elevator to travel to another planet."
It has been helpful.

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 29 Aug 2013 18:13

Highlander wrote:I can recommend you a technique that i've been using that is called B-MILD (Breathing induced MILD).
You think of a phrase while breathing in and breathing out until you sleep. It can be something like:
"(breath in)... Tonight i want...(breath out)... to have a lucid dream..."
This will enter your mind in such a way that can trigger a lucid dream. Currently i'm doing phrases to perform some tasks, like:
"In tonight's dream, i would like to fly to the moon." or "Find an elevator to travel to another planet."
It has been helpful.

Sounds interesting. A little worried, is that the thing that can cause SP or is that WILD? I don't think im ready for SP you see! :P If not I would really like to try this. Do I just relax my body but kind of keep my brain active and keep repeating?

Return to “For Beginners”