Hi, very worried about Lucid Dreaming and getting started!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Highlander

Re: Hi, very worried about Lucid Dreaming and getting starte

Postby Highlander » 29 Aug 2013 19:56

DreamyRoamer wrote:Sounds interesting. A little worried, is that the thing that can cause SP or is that WILD? I don't think im ready for SP you see! :P If not I would really like to try this. Do I just relax my body but kind of keep my brain active and keep repeating?

Yes, that's right. And i can say you that, in my many LD's and techniques to have it, i never experienced SP. Well, maybe, 1 per year. That's almost nothing.
As you said, just relax your body but kind of keep your brain active and keep repeating. You will then fall asleep. If it waorks, when you dream, the phrase you said will be "inserted" into your mind, and into your dream. Don't be afraid of that.

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 29 Aug 2013 20:07

Highlander wrote:Yes, that's right. And i can say you that, in my many LD's and techniques to have it, i never experienced SP. Well, maybe, 1 per year. That's almost nothing.

Oh that's good to know. I would be seriously creep'd If I got SP!

Highlander wrote:As you said, just relax your body but kind of keep your brain active and keep repeating. You will then fall asleep. If it waorks, when you dream, the phrase you said will be "inserted" into your mind, and into your dream. Don't be afraid of that.

Sounds good, I will be sure to try this all out tonight! :D Thanks for all the help!
It was on the day before the day after yesterday.

Smokescreen

Postby Smokescreen » 30 Aug 2013 08:51

Hi everyone, I'm new, and I have yet to achieve lucidity, well, since I have started practicing techniques such as WILD, which was almost a year ago, but I believe I did occasionally have lucid dreams as a child/teenager and lost the skill as I got older. Anyways, I wanted to throw in my opinion because as a teenager I experienced a few instances of sleep paralysis, and I believe that as long as you know what is happening, you will be ok. When I was a teenager and I would get sleep paralysis, I would be terrified. I thought for sure that something horrible was coming and attacking me, and one time I experienced sleep paralysis and dreamed/hallucinated that I was tied to a rock and there was a spider attached to it by it's web, and it was slowly floating down on the web towards me. I hate spiders, and I was terrified out of my mind. It was such a horrible experience that I can still remember it vividly. I also experienced times where I would feel vibrations so strong that I thought someone was shaking my bed and would get up to look and make sure there was no one there.

Now that I have read lots of different articles and opinions about astral projection/lucid dreaming, I can experience vibrations and a much much more slight version of sleep paralysis compared to what I used to get and know that this is completely natural and I am ok. So, I don't think you need to be worried that you are going to go into a sleep paralysis and start experiencing a horrible lucid nightmare. Obviously, I can't promise that, as I am no expert, but I feel like based of my experiences and what I have read from others, if you go into it knowing that is is completely natural and happens to other people, and you have the intention of having a lucid dream, you will have enough focus to prevent terrifying things like that happening. I think there is a good possibility that I experienced terrifying things like that because I had no knowledge on the subject in any way. Having educated myself to a certain degree in lucid dreaming and things related to it, I feel completely ok.

If you do happen to start experiencing sleep paralysis, the important thing is to tell yourself not to worry, and that you are in control of the situation. Try to control your breathing and repeat a calming mantra to yourself. Visualize yourself surrounded by bright white light. I also like to visualize numbers in my head and count my exhalations.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 30 Aug 2013 12:45

Yeah DreamyRoamer Anime! What's your favourite series thingy? I'm a beginner lucid dreamer too, haven't had any though :( I'm the same as you! I wanna lucid dream and think of all the things i can do during the day but then when i get to bed i lose the urge to lucid dream because i get scared :| But now i won't be becuase of all you helpful people :D

Mrayoba12

Postby Mrayoba12 » 30 Aug 2013 14:09

Well to answer your first worry that if you have a lucid nightmare you should know that if something is after you it cannot harm you. It is just your imagination. Secondly sleep paralysis is just a miss timing in your brain and it will pass. By the way one of the easiest ways of lucid dreaming is the DEILD technique,you need to wake up from a dream and lay still and not move. Then think of wanting to be lucid.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 31 Aug 2013 10:15

I see Smokescreen, reading that has helped me a lot. I guess I should just keep calm when it happens, and do as you have said! And that spider thing seems so scary, you must have wanted to scream your head off!!

btifuldreamer wrote:Yeah DreamyRoamer Anime! What's your favourite series thingy? I'm a beginner lucid dreamer too, haven't had any though :( I'm the same as you! I wanna lucid dream and think of all the things i can do during the day but then when i get to bed i lose the urge to lucid dream because i get scared :| But now i won't be becuase of all you helpful people :D

Yay! Yeah I'm the same, I kept getting scared, I tried B-MILD yesterday but I didn't get any results sadly. Oh well, I guess I should keep trying! And my favorite Anime is Naruto : )

Mrayoba12 wrote:Well to answer your first worry that if you have a lucid nightmare you should know that if something is after you it cannot harm you. It is just your imagination. Secondly sleep paralysis is just a miss timing in your brain and it will pass. By the way one of the easiest ways of lucid dreaming is the DEILD technique,you need to wake up from a dream and lay still and not move. Then think of wanting to be lucid

DEILD? Sounds interesting. I guess I could try B-MILD when I'm going to sleep an when I awake use DEILD. Is there anything about it I need to know before doing it, or am I all good?

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 02 Sep 2013 10:41

DreamyRoamer wrote:Yay! Yeah I'm the same, I kept getting scared, I tried B-MILD yesterday but I didn't get any results sadly. Oh well, I guess I should keep trying! And my favorite Anime is Naruto : )

Oh yeah I never really got into naruto so i don't watch it :S I watch soul eater! sort of...

Mrayoba12 wrote:Well to answer your first worry that if you have a lucid nightmare you should know that if something is after you it cannot harm you. It is just your imagination. Secondly sleep paralysis is just a miss timing in your brain and it will pass. By the way one of the easiest ways of lucid dreaming is the DEILD technique,you need to wake up from a dream and lay still and not move. Then think of wanting to be lucid

DEILD? Sounds interesting. I guess I could try B-MILD when I'm going to sleep an when I awake use DEILD. Is there anything about it I need to know before doing it, or am I all good?[/quote]
:o I'm trying to DEILD right now!!! Trust me it is a good method. It's not working for me because i haven't been writing in my dream journal so my recall is bad which is essential for DEILD. I'll work on that :)

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 02 Sep 2013 17:13

btifuldreamer wrote:Oh yeah I never really got into naruto so i don't watch it :S I watch soul eater! sort of...

Mrayoba12 wrote:
Well to answer your first worry that if you have a lucid nightmare you should know that if something is after you it cannot harm you. It is just your imagination. Secondly sleep paralysis is just a miss timing in your brain and it will pass. By the way one of the easiest ways of lucid dreaming is the DEILD technique,you need to wake up from a dream and lay still and not move. Then think of wanting to be lucid

DEILD? Sounds interesting. I guess I could try B-MILD when I'm going to sleep an when I awake use DEILD. Is there anything about it I need to know before doing it, or am I all good?

I'm trying to DEILD right now!!! Trust me it is a good method. It's not working for me because i haven't been writing in my dream journal so my recall is bad which is essential for DEILD. I'll work on that [/quote]

I have JUST finished Soul Eater! The ending is kinda cheesy, trust me :( It was all good in till the last episode!

Oh! Good to know your having some luck. How do you know it's working if you don't remember the dream?

And also I wanted to ask one more thing about B-MILD, if Highlander is still kinda reading the forum or anyone else who is doing it is reading. I find it hard to say a mantra and try to sleep at the same time. Any tips for that?

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 02 Sep 2013 22:20

DreamyRoamer wrote:And also I wanted to ask one more thing about B-MILD, if Highlander is still kinda reading the forum or anyone else who is doing it is reading. I find it hard to say a mantra and try to sleep at the same time. Any tips for that?

The good thing about B-MILD is that you are saying the mantra while breathing, so, when saying it a couple of times, it gets automatic and you stop concentrating too much on what you are saying. I don't know if i explain it well. I can say to you how i do i:
When i go to sleep, i say the mantra during... say... a good 3-5 minutes. Then, when it gets tiring, i stop saying it. The good thing here is "implanting" an idea on your mind.
But the best time to say it is when you wake up in the middle of the night. You want to get back to a dream. So, say it again. Trust me, you are very tired at this point to get distracted from your mantra. I can only say like a couple of times before i fall asleep automatically.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 03 Sep 2013 08:12

DreamyRoamer wrote:Oh! Good to know your having some luck. How do you know it's working if you don't remember the dream?

Well, DEILD works by staying completely still and not opening your eyes as soon as you wake up, this will trick your brain into thinking you're still asleep, then you'll start having a dream. This has kinda worked for me twice. The first time i woke up and remembered not to move or open my eyes, but i could tell there was a blanket right in front of my mouth and it made me really hot cuz i was breathing on it so i moved. The second time, it all worked but i was lying on my arm and i could feel it start to throb cuz the blood circulation was cut off so i moved. You don't really need to remember your previous dream but it will increase your chances because you think of the dream you just had and you will either re enter it or enter another dream lucid. I know it's working because even though i moved and wasn't lucid i had a vivid dream and remembered a lot of it. There was one other thing but i forget. I have a topic on this in the 'Lucid dream techniques topic'. Also, I haven't seen the end of soul eater, i'm at the bit where the keeshan thingy just got out of his cave/dungeon/boop.

Return to “For Beginners”