Most effective way to begin lucid dreaming?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
toridivine

Most effective way to begin lucid dreaming?

Postby toridivine » 19 Sep 2013 02:17

Hi, my name is Tori. I'm 12 years old and in 7th grade, but I am currently taking 9th grade highschool classes, so please do not assume I lack intelligence because of my age.

I basically have an odd passion to learn how to lucid dream, and how it works, though I don't quite know where to begin. I have just begun a dream journal. I have only one entry so far, since I just started it today. I used last night's dream (non-lucid) to put in there, but that's it.

Anyway, I'd like to know the best and most effective way to begin lucid dreaming.. I'd like to take it easy at first, too. Nothing too extreme, as I have never attempted to lucid dream before.

Another thing I am concerned about is sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming nightmares. I would like to have my first lucid dream to be a positive experience, something I will look forward to doing later in time. Yes, I know I won't just suddenly begin to lucid dream, but when I do begin, are there any tips you may have to have a good, happy dream?

Thank you in advance for any tips/help you may give to me. I appreciate everything and I hope to accomplish the task of lucid dreaming so I can find out many of life's unanswered questions.

I plan to travel years ahead and meet myself. I also plan to dream up a psychologist/therapist, and have a session with them, since the subconscious mind is the wisest thing you could go to. Also, I really want to fly.. I am going to begin lightly, as I read you sometimes cannot just lift up your arms and fly. I'm very excited and somewhat frightened of what is to come. Again, thank you all!
Do not be afraid of your mind and it's inhabitants.

tea

Re: Most effective way to begin lucid dreaming?

Postby tea » 19 Sep 2013 08:22

okay, there is a lot to say.

first off: hi! nice to have you around!

toridivine wrote:I basically have an odd passion to learn how to lucid dream, and how it works, though I don't quite know where to begin. I have just begun a dream journal. I have only one entry so far, since I just started it today. I used last night's dream (non-lucid) to put in there, but that's it.

Anyway, I'd like to know the best and most effective way to begin lucid dreaming.. I'd like to take it easy at first, too. Nothing too extreme, as I have never attempted to lucid dream before.

alright, my number one rule: relax! don't rush it - the dream journal is a good way to start.
from this point on, there are several things you can do:

- have you checked out the non-forum part of this website? there are a LOT of good starting points, here some examples:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/introduction-to-lucid-dreaming.html
and
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-mistakes-made-by-beginner-lucid-dreamers.html
- if you want, register here, it's free and VERY useful: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/subscribe.html
- in the link above you'll learn things like recognizing dream-signs and categorizing them - which could be the next step regarding your journal

toridivine wrote:Another thing I am concerned about is sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming nightmares. I would like to have my first lucid dream to be a positive experience, something I will look forward to doing later in time. Yes, I know I won't just suddenly begin to lucid dream, but when I do begin, are there any tips you may have to have a good, happy dream?

there is another thread regarding sleep paralysis, check this out: http://world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13697

as for the nightmares i can say: they are not a bad thing!
here's another link where you can learn more: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-nightmares.html

and you CAN suddenly begin to lucid dream. although i have had several lucid dreams as a kid, it stopped at one point. then, after years, i read about it on the internet. on the following night i tried WBTB and had my first intentional lucid dream! so you can have immediate success, but it's rare.

you want to have a positive experience? ok, then don't waste any thoughts on bad experiences. the more you concentrate on something you DON'T want, you are setting you focus on exactly that thing. shift your focus to the things you DO want (this goes for life in general, not only lucid dreaming)
but if you think about something bad, don't panic. just having thoughts about it doesn't make it happen - but recognize the thoughts, look for what you can change in them and then think again.

it may happen that you still experience nightmares or scary dreams because that's something the brain does for preparing yourself for the obstacles in waking life. don't be afraid - there is nothing bad that can happen to you. all there is, is the potential for growth. :)

toridivine wrote:Thank you in advance for any tips/help you may give to me. I appreciate everything and I hope to accomplish the task of lucid dreaming so I can find out many of life's unanswered questions.

I plan to travel years ahead and meet myself. I also plan to dream up a psychologist/therapist, and have a session with them, since the subconscious mind is the wisest thing you could go to. Also, I really want to fly.. I am going to begin lightly, as I read you sometimes cannot just lift up your arms and fly. I'm very excited and somewhat frightened of what is to come. Again, thank you all!

although there is a lot you can learn about life and yourself via dreaming, watch out not to fool yourself! not everything has a meaning and not every meaning is true.
you can learn, but you can also confuse yourself. just go easy on the messages you receive and don't forget that in the waking state you're just as wise as in the subconscious. the question is what you're listening to.

and about flying: everything can work. some people fly by flapping their arms, other by lifting them. in fact there are infinite ways to achieve flying because it's all up to your imagination.
here is another useful link: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-have-lucid-flying-dreams.html

hope this helped in any way! again, nice to have you around, and have fun!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

DreamyRoamer

Postby DreamyRoamer » 19 Sep 2013 18:25

I'm just like you Tori ^^ Excited but not at the same time haha. I have had two so far. I just do reality check's all day! I haven't used any technique I just look at my hands or suddenly realise, so I can't really help you there :P

Tea has really explained everything pretty well, so I don't know what to really add... Hmmm... Well, even though I'm also new to Lucid dreaming, here is a little of what I think is really useful.

1. Just chillax. In my first lucid dream I totally freaked out. I was questioning my own existence. I started thinking, "Whats happening to my other body? My REAL body? Whats happening!!!". Then everything faded away and I awoke :( The first Lucid dream you have can be a pretty amazing, but scary at the same time! So just slow down and accept everything around you. Trust me :)

2. Lucid Nightmares. Ahh I used to be afraid of this! I asked people here on this forum and they told me it's fine. You don't.. It's hard to put, but it's as if you don't get afraid. That doesn't make much sense though lol! So to put it in other words, you don't need or have any reason to be afraid. This is a Lucid Dream! You control what happens at your own will! If anything does pop up however, don't freak out like I would, face it with courage and strength! Oh, and don't worry. Just because you think of something scary in your dream shouldn't exactly mean it suddenly appears!

3. Sleep Paralysis ( Or SP ). One of my main fears :P I used to freak out at the thought, but then someone on this topic I was glancing around really turned my thoughts on this. He said, and I quote:"It's all a matter of perspective. I find the voices comforting and think replies back to them (sometimes they even respond to my replies and we get a conversation going), and find the sleep paralysis really cool because I know it means there is a good chance a lucid dream is coming."

This just totally changed my view!

So that's what I think can really help you. Certainly helped me ^^ And good luck, I hope you Lucid Dream pretty soon!
It was on the day before the day after yesterday.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Sep 2013 08:16

Hello Tori,

You are very well spoken. Well, I guess... technically... well written?
You are interested in the untapped resource we all have in our subconscious. It is certainly extraordinary and I don't fully get it myself, and perhaps never will. But if you simply remember your dreams for now, they come from the subconscious too. If you remember more and more, they should become longer and longer, and eventually, you'll remember you are dreaming WHILE the dream is happening, and then become lucid.

That is basically what happened to me, but it took place over several years. If you try, it should happen faster. But lucid dreaming is not like studying for a test, but more like practicing a musical instrument. It takes time and some people pick it up faster than others.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Sep 2013 10:47

Yes, I know I won't just suddenly begin to lucid dream,

First thing you need to do is to get rid of that thought as with what you think you can be programming your subconsciousness and if you think LD is going to be difficult, you can certainly be making it more difficult for yourself.

Some people can start having LDs just on thinking about all this. We are all different and who knows, you could be having them within days if you dont set up an expectation that it will take a while, or it could take you a month or more... who knows.

As far as learning about the subconciousness. I myself find the best way is just to record my dreams and analyse them (over the years Ive become quite good at analysing dreams and do learn a lot from them, it does take practice but learning dream symbolism is like a language which can be learnt). I personally think that often non LDs can be more accurate to be recieving messages from then the lucid ones in which your own waking thoughts can be manifesting things and having this blend with the pure subconciousness stuff.

Is the subconciousness wise? It does know everything but all the junk (your emotions etc and everything else) is messed in with its wisdom and the higher subconciousness expression. Your dreams are a mix of higher and lower consciousness expression and it is you yourself who has to be wise when trying to deciper what the subconciousness is saying (dream reading skills help.. I personally look for the symbolic messages to be expressed in more ways then one to know when Im on the right track in reading a dream). With practice you can start to understand your dreams.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”