Explaining it to others...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
HAGART

Re: Explaining it to others...

Postby HAGART » 16 Jan 2014 19:19

Lucid dreaming tends to be a conversation-ender whenever I bring it up at family gatherings. I had an awesome one Christmas morning, but I had to just bite my tongue so not to ruin the party atmosphere. Then in the evening, after a little liquid talking juice ;), and most had gone to bed, I played a strategy game with two of my cousins. I had to go and blurt out all sorts of crazy things. Basically all the stuff I say here and some of my outlandish theories about my subconscious having a mind of its own. Two halves of 'self'. I told them my subconscious speaks to me and it doesn't always take words and I allowed my gut reaction to make the strategic decisions for me. I made split second decisions at a glance, (whenever I wasn't rambling). And in the end I won the game without much thinking! "Subconscious knows best", I said.

One cousin was the Nascar cousin I was talking about and he was not interested at all, and was annoyed with me, but his sister was intrigued. My only regret was not dumbing it down for novices on the subject, and feel I blew their minds. I also had no tact, but that was for another reason. ;)

When talking to others in the future, I will start small and not divulge too much too soon. Wait till they are ready and let THEM ask the questions. That's the best way to teach others without turning them off and closing them to the idea. Just feed them little bits and pieces to wet their appetite.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Jan 2014 20:17

When you dumb it down and talk a little about dreams they will say "yeah, I do that as well" and then they will think that they dream like you. If you try to say they dont then you will get classed as arrogant and thinking you are better than they are.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jan 2014 21:26

Yea, it's something you can't preach. You have to plant the seed of intrigue in their minds and let them come to you if they choose. And when they do, only discuss what they feel like discussing. Then you don't come across as either arrogant or ignorant.

If I feel like getting things off my chest and discussing my personal lucid dreams, that's what this site is for. No need to persuade anybody here to be interested in it. This is a Mecca for those across the globe who are already intrigued in the first place.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Jan 2014 21:49

To Vonozar: How would you like to be as awake as you are now in your dreams. Imagine feeling fully conscious in a vivid dream environment and knowing that it is all a dream! This is what is known as "lucid dreaming" which has been established as a natural brain state distinguishable from that of ordinary dreams and the waking state. Lucid dreaming is a combination of both. In a lucid dream you know what's going on - unlike the insobriety-like state experienced in ordinary dreams. Lucid dreaming can make any of your fantasies materialise with a perceptual quality that can emulate or exceed that of the waking world. Imagine that you are the might Neo in the matrix. Imagine dreamscapes transmuting before your eyes like in the film Inception and you know that it is all a product of your mind, your own personal world! Lucid dreaming doesn't stop at fantasy. As a lucid dreamer, you can unlock a lot of unconscious material that can inspire you beyond what you could previously imagine. It can provide you with a plethora of ideas and make you more creative. It can also be therapeutical and help you with self-integration. Lucid dreaming has had an masdive impact on my life. It has changed me and made me a better person. It has given me valuable perspectives and untold motivation. It has extended my conscious life too. Why live only 100 when you can do 200 years? (So to speak.)

Give it your whole and explain. Be enthusiastic. If they still look at you funny give them something about lucid dreaming to read (perhaps printouts from the Lucidity Institute) and tell them it's no laughing matter. It is scientific fact and it can radically change one's life.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 17 Jan 2014 05:20

Summerlander wrote:To Vonozar: How would you like to be as awake as you are now in your dreams. Imagine feeling fully conscious in a vivid dream environment and knowing that it is all a dream! This is what is known as "lucid dreaming" which has been established as a natural brain state distinguishable from that of ordinary dreams and the waking state. Lucid dreaming is a combination of both. In a lucid dream you know what's going on - unlike the insobriety-like state experienced in ordinary dreams. Lucid dreaming can make any of your fantasies materialise with a perceptual quality that can emulate or exceed that of the waking world. Imagine that you are the might Neo in the matrix. Imagine dreamscapes transmuting before your eyes like in the film Inception and you know that it is all a product of your mind, your own personal world! Lucid dreaming doesn't stop at fantasy. As a lucid dreamer, you can unlock a lot of unconscious material that can inspire you beyond what you could previously imagine. It can provide you with a plethora of ideas and make you more creative. It can also be therapeutical and help you with self-integration. Lucid dreaming has had an masdive impact on my life. It has changed me and made me a better person. It has given me valuable perspectives and untold motivation. It has extended my conscious life too. Why live only 100 when you can do 200 years? (So to speak.)

Give it your whole and explain. Be enthusiastic. If they still look at you funny give them something about lucid dreaming to read (perhaps printouts from the Lucidity Institute) and tell them it's no laughing matter. It is scientific fact and it can radically change one's life.

:shock: That's...beautiful. Dang, well said! I'm screencapping that. :lol: I can see how that could have much more of a positive response than negative for most people. Thanks for sharing. :)

HAGART wrote:Yea, it's something you can't preach. You have to plant the seed of intrigue in their minds and let them come to you if they choose. And when they do, only discuss what they feel like discussing. Then you don't come across as either arrogant or ignorant.

If I feel like getting things off my chest and discussing my personal lucid dreams, that's what this site is for. No need to persuade anybody here to be interested in it. This is a Mecca for those across the globe who are already intrigued in the first place.

I got the opportunity to talk to someone last night about it. They seemed...hesitantly enthused. I answered whatever questions she had, and was careful not to go overboard. It's tough biting your toung at times, but it's probably for the best unless you're lucky enough to find someone who's as interested in the topic as you are. But the seed was planted, so maybe she'll ask again in the future. Only time will tell. :) .

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Jan 2014 12:11

I definitely agree about not preaching, but definitely explain to them what the phenomenon entails and let them know that it can potentially improve their lives besides something to look forward to at bedtime.

Don't preach. Elocute. Let them know how enthused you are about it. Lucid dreaming can bring about the best experiences a human being will ever get. Use rhetoric. By all means impress them to the point where they can wait to do it. I still remember a friend of mine saying to me, "I'm going to try this tonight, I can't wait!" Sell it and don't be afraid of selling it cuz the product is good and inherent in all of us. Don't force it but you you may cheekily say, "If you haven't had a lucid dream you haven't lived yet, my friend!" Let them know how thankful you are to the one who first introduced you to lucid dreaming (even if it's the author of a book). They will love you. Quell any fears about what could happen. As far as we can tell, lucid dreaming is safe and can be beneficial.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”