Lucid Dreaming and Drawing

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
KungFuPanther

Lucid Dreaming and Drawing

Postby KungFuPanther » 11 Jun 2014 06:09

Any form of art is generated by utilizing a certain portion of your brain that is abstract, all about sensory perception and non-linear. The other parts of your brain are all about numbers, language, memory, etc...

IN some way can lucid dreaming help you draw better? Just a thought, good night everyone. :)
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

JonSnowLD

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Drawing

Postby JonSnowLD » 15 Jun 2014 19:16

I've read that if you practise something in a dream, it builds the same mental (muscular/neuron? not sure ;) ) connections as if you did it in real life, so yeah I guess! One of my aims is to practise my improv on sax in a dream and see how creative I can be!
When I've played an instrument in a non lucid dream before though, my coordination has been shocking! like once, I stood up to play a solo I usually play pretty much spot on-but in the dream I made such a mess of it! XD I hope this will change when I play in a Lucid dream though and I'm pretty sure there are some parallels to be drawn between music and drawing ;)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 15 Jun 2014 20:18

Hey JonSnowLD, Thanks for replying! I think what you are referring to is building muscle memory inside a dream, which does work. But, I think this only applies to when you are practicing the same motion over and over again, for instance, flying kicks or scaling a wall. These are movements in which you need to build discipline, in which everything must be the same every time, from the placement of a hand to raising a foot just the right height. In drawing, nothing is ever the same, so muscle memory for this would be pretty much useless, because other than remembering to draw each line from your shoulder, there is ad infinitum number of movements that you make with your arm, forearm, wrist, fingers, etc. What would really help is if lucid dreaming could help me to better see shapes as Three dimensional objects and translate them accurately to paper.

However with the sax, you might have better luck. As long as your brain keeps the right pitch for each note (which it very well could) then you maybe could play a hard piece or even make your own, since dreams are great mediums for creating. It wouldn't be the first time that a song was written in a dream. Please let me know how it goes!

What I would do if I were you is start playing your sax, a LOT, and associate it with dreaming by doing reality checks more frequently while playing, or doing reality checks WITH your saxophone. I used to play sax too, but I couldn't keep it up anymore due to the cost of the instrument and I moved on to violin. But it is fun :D

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 15 Jun 2014 21:54

Muscle memory, that's it! Ahhh right fair enough-I really can't draw so please excuse the assumption about that!

Yeah, I've heard some awesome stories about music in LDs! I have ideas about physically becoming a melody or merging into the layers of a groove which would be pretty cool ;) I do practise a lot so making a RC part of my routine would actually be a pretty good idea-I'll give it a try!

Ahhh well violin is pretty cool (not AS cool of course O:) ) and the cost does mount up for sax with reeds and stuff ;) anyway I'll repost on this thread if I make any progress with the music/creative insight LDs!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jun 2014 00:03

No problem, Jon :D However I wonder exactly how that would work... becoming a melody? As in becoming soundwaves or the source of soundwaves? Weird XD I remember once that I was really tired, about to fall asleep but kept myself up (to try and achieve WILD) but I was just thinking about stuff... My mind was slipping away into sleep but I held on, and a lot of my thoughts were starting to take tangents (I was starting to dream basically). Anyway, trying to remind myself to work on my Wing Chun once I was in the dream, I started to think about all the movements, the grappling, the parrying, y'know, all that cool kung fu stuff. But then I imagined myself hitting a wooden post, practicing my form, and each time I hit it different sounds would be produced. as I went faster and faster the whole thing turned into a really awesome sounding composition :D then I had to fall asleep. OTL

I see that your signature says that you have had 2 out of the 5 LD's you are planning on having this month. How is that coming along? How long have you been working on LD? Can you consistently have an LD on a regular basis? HOW??!!! XD

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 16 Jun 2014 12:01

That's the part I haven't figured out yet... ;) wow, that sounds cool-was it really vivid hypnagogia then if you fell asleep after? Sounds like an interesting to approach to composing either way! XD

It's not going to great tbh-I had both those LDs about 2 weeks ago and nothing since then :/ I go through a period of a week or so where I seem to make progress and become lucid then have a few weeks on a lucid dry spell! I've been working at LDs since September-since then I've made a lot of progress but theres still so far to go its daunting XD I am busy with exams atm though so hopefully I can concentrate fully on my dreams over the summer when the exams are over!

How about you? How long have you been into Lucid dreaming?

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jun 2014 15:15

Pretty much, except more audible than visual. But I've never been able to use it to launch a WILD.

Don't loose hope! try switrching methods, there is a really good one under the techniques section, something about 3/3 times successful.

Me? Well... too long. I've only had one or two lucid dreams and not as great nor as long as I would have liked, so I don't know how to stay in the dream without shocking myself awake. More than a year. And nothing. I even used Rebecca's fast track to lucid dreaming and that didn't help. Everybody else makes LD look so easy, and it really isn't. It's like if I want to be awake in my dreams, then I have to devote every waking hour to it. Like I'm focusing more on sleeping than being awake. It's frustrating...

But, You are better at LD than I am, you must be wired for it or something. They say anyone can learn, I don't know how true that is but you certainly have a head start. So don't give up, because trust me, you could have it a lot harder but you don't, so don't let go of that, it's an opportunity that few people have.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 16 Jun 2014 22:03

It is very time consuming agreed-the results will be worth it when we become LD masters though 8)

I dunno, I guess people just make progress at different rates-People who LD naturally have my utmost respect! The work will pay off in the end though, so yeah stick at it yourself! ADA may be the way forward for us ;)

Return to “For Beginners”