Issues with vision in lucid dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Issues with vision in lucid dreams

Postby Sil » 03 Jul 2014 12:56

I've lucid dreamed in the past, as a very young child. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't know what lucid dreaming was, or that it was in any way useful, so I would always just preform a dream escape as soon as I realized I was dreaming (yeah, I was a dumb child).

Now I'm 16, and trying lucid dreaming for real. I've been working at it for about a year now, and haven't had a lot of luck. It seems that any time I would get distracted with life, I'd end up having a lucid dream by accident, but when I would try, I wouldn't be successful.

Recently, though, I've "pushed it into second gear". I've upped the reality checks, taken more naps, and tried more methods, such as binaural beats. I've been relatively successful, but I'm having a bit of an issue.

A few weeks ago, I was laying in bed, napping, when I was aroused by various noises outside my room (storm rolling in, rabbit being... himself). I stirred a little and said my famous little phrase in my head "that was a weird dream". Seems like saying that phrase would trigger a lucid dream, if I happened to say it while I was asleep. Then I realized that I was actually still partially asleep. I let myself fade back into sleep, keeping with the "I'm dreaming" phrase.

I was still laying in my bed in the dream. I moved my arm, and it was so difficult to do (compared to the non-lucid dream before it), that I was almost sure I had done it in real life. Regardless, I sat up and did a reality check, which basically consisted of looking at nearby text and watching it rapidly change.

At that moment, I started to realize a little issue. It seemed that the vision from my physical eyes and my "mind's eye" were blending, which made the lucid dream very difficult to follow, despite cementing the lucidity in any way I could remember (at the time, it was just rubbing my hands together, which felt very odd, but awesome at the same time). No luck, though. The vision issue persisted until I awoke (which was honestly the result of auditory hallucinations making me think I was being called).

I shrugged it off as not quite being 100% dreaming, since I had went in from a sort of half-sleep stage. However, I just recently had another lucid dream. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep that night, due to an attempt at alpha binaural beats (which did as they were supposed to, but did not help to induce a lucid dream), so I was napping. This time, I was fully asleep when I realized that I was dreaming.

Unfortunately, as soon as I uttered the words "I'm dreaming", my vision suffered from the exact same issue. My physical vision (which was of my inner eyelids) was blending with my mind's vision. I intentionally slipped out of lucidity to see if I would continue to experience the issue, but I didn't. As soon as I slipped out of lucidity, my vision was fine. I tried one more time to enter lucidity, but I experienced the exact same vision issue.

I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. I do have bad distant vision in the physical world, but that doesn't seem to explain how this has just randomly come on as it did.

Any tips?

Return to “For Beginners”