What came 1st? The pain in dream or the pain I woke up with?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
LazyGuy

What came 1st? The pain in dream or the pain I woke up with?

Postby LazyGuy » 22 Oct 2014 15:50

In my dream I was driving an older Chevy Nova type car with my wife in front seat and two passengers in the back seat. It was evening, I think. I pulled ahead from being parked and I could hear a sound that I quickly recognized as my wheels rubbing the curb. I was embarrassed that I misjudged the curb and one passenger spoke out to say that I just cleaned off my tire sidewalls. I pulled out into the one way street and started driving up the hill towards the street light. I realized that I had to apply more pressure to the gas pedal because I was moving up the hill too slow. I felt good about how much power the car had to climb the hill but I knew that I had to push harder on the gas pedal in order to make it to the corner in time to make a left turn onto a main street. Just as I got to the intersection I could feel my calf of my leg tightening up into a cramp from pushing down on the gas pedal. It became so painful that I had to stop the car right in the intersection and jump out to put pressure on my cramped leg by standing on the street. At the same time I woke up and jumped out of bed because of the intense pain in my cramped leg.
When the pain subsided I went to the bathroom and then back into bed. I lay there thinking about what just occurred. I wished my wife was awake so I could share my experience with her. I couldn’t get back to sleep because I was wide awake now, trying to figure out how this all came to be. The dream seemed so real at the time and I found it bizarre that everything in my dream led up to my cramp and that the cramp happened in my dream and in real life.

buildit

Re: What came 1st? The pain in dream or the pain I woke up w

Postby buildit » 22 Oct 2014 17:52

LazyGuy wrote: It became so painful that I had to stop the car right in the intersection and jump out to put pressure on my cramped leg by standing on the street. At the same time I woke up and jumped out of bed because of the intense pain in my cramped leg.

Crazy isn't it, I've had that happen to me also with Charley Horses where a dream occurred right as I was conscious of the pain and seemed to make a justification for it. I think the answer is that you are aware in both dream and reality of the pain at the same time but the body is still experiencing sleep paralysis. It's like that split second where you are still dreaming but also becoming conscious that the alarm clock is going off so your dream creates a situation to make sense of the new stimuli while your body actually comes to life.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

LazyGuy

Postby LazyGuy » 22 Oct 2014 23:14

That's a very interesting explanation, buildit. I read your reply several times because I find it so amazing and it does make sense. If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I would have gotten that cramp in my calf even if I had not dreamt about it. hmm...now that I think about it again I wonder if that is so. Man, it's hard for me to get my head around this. Your alarm clock example is a good one but in that situation it's easier to believe that the alarm clock went off in real life first but it didn't wake up the person right away, which gives the mind time to blend the alarm into the dream. I'm still not sure it's the same thing with my dream though because so much happened in my dream that led up to the muscle cramp. I must think this over more. :|

ravynwriter

Postby ravynwriter » 09 Dec 2014 01:48

I experience this all the time. I have a physical disability which causes chronic pain. On my bad nights I often have dreams of being hit by a car or torn up by dogs, and will wake up and realize that it is the pain coming through in my dream, and the dream trying to justify it.

Sometimes, if I'm having a far more heightened dream...not quite lucid, but close, the pain will actually be a 'reality test' trigger for me. I had one the other night where I was walking along, following some friends, and there was a pain growing in my arm, getting worse and worse, and my arm was actually contorting itself in a way I knew wasn't possible- my subconscious trying to justify how my arm would have to actually move in order for the pain to be 'real' perhaps. On seeing that and knowing my wrist and elbow couldn't actually bend that way, I told my friends I was sorry, I had to wake up now and fix my arm.

I wasn't doing anything more than laying on it, putting just enough pressure on my arm to set off my condition (while not actually physically harming my arm or cutting off circulation) but I had to wake up to correct it and recognized that in my dream. I did in fact wake up at that point and roll over to correct the issue.

Not one of my favorite 'reality checks' but it's kind of developed on its own.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Dec 2014 14:17

I think it is very likely that you started dreaming you had foot down on gas peddle, as you probably subconciously knew your leg was about to go into cramp and then when it did, your leg also hurt in the dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”