I'm doing something wrong with the reality checks

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
JogDog

I'm doing something wrong with the reality checks

Postby JogDog » 23 Oct 2014 14:08

So tonight, I did a reality check in-dream for the third time. This is also the third time a reality check has failed. I mentioned this in a different thread a while ago and was told to do a different one, and so I did, but I still do the old one when dreaming. So, what to do? I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "really focus on the reality check, be patient", but... It might not be.

carnyx

Re: I'm doing something wrong with the reality checks

Postby carnyx » 24 Oct 2014 07:51

I was going to open a new topic but since your problem is similar to mine I'll avoid flooding the forum :

I'm having problems with stabilizing my dream once I get lucid, and isn't a matter of overexcitment or anything like that. It happened at least five times since I first tried getting a lucid dream, that at the same second I get lucid my whole dream scenario fades away on a white scenario and I feel dragged to my physical body, and there's nothing I can do about it. I always wake up even if I stay completely relaxed. I figured I wasn't trying enough and should just keep trying, but last night something really weird happened.
I got lucid and immediately felt getting dragged again and could even hear me saying "it is happening again, now I'm going to wake up no matter what, that's frustrating... I guess I can only relax and see what happens even if I'm not optimistic about it...", and then I had a really scary false awakening with sleep paralysis!
I only discovered the term 'lucid dreaming' because six months ago I had really scary and intense sleep paralysis for 3 nights in a row, and this was the closest I got to LD, so for now only negative experiences, but I read a lot since and I'm trying hard to master it and face my fears.

So I 'woke up' in my bed and the window was open (I almost never open my window, and sure never before going to sleep) and the wind was incredibly loud and freezing, so I do a reality check and it fails, my two fingers touched the palm of my hand and I'm convinced that I'm awake. So I try getting up to close the window and I realize I cannot move. So I think to myself "ok, I'm having sleep paralysis again, this is not real and its just a dream", but a deep demonic voice appears in my head saying "you are awake, and I am your subconscious".
Talking to my subconscious is my primary goal in LD so I wanted to ask questions, but before I start 'he' interrupted me saying "all these years I am stuck inside your head... All I ever wanted was to take control and see the world with your eyes!!!" and at the same time 'he' materializes itself in the form of a big strong bald guy 20 years older than me and starts running towards me. I freak out completely shouting "you can't, cause I'm in control here!" and use all my strength to wake up, finding myself on my real bad mumbling the rest of the phrase in tears.

What the heck is happening to me? :|

PS: I 'saw' this same guy at my second sleep paralysis six of months ago, when I had a false awakening so real that I couldn't even see the difference after I really woke up. He started to 'rape me' rubbing himself on me with his clothes on for about ten seconds before I used the shout-to-wake method and find myself in the exact same position with the exact same view of the reality. That was really disturbing for me...

I tried being as honest as possible, sorry for the long post, for my english and I would be happy to clarify if something is confusing. Thank you!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Nov 2014 11:07

so I do a reality check and it fails, my two fingers touched the palm of my hand and I'm convinced that I'm awake.

Firstly one should do more then one reality check and secondly when one does reality checks, its extremely important to not be convinced you are awake when doing it as that will cause a reality check to fail. You need to do the check while genuinely believing that there is a possiblity that you may be asleep even if it feels like you are awake.

but a deep demonic voice appears in my head saying "you are awake, and I am your subconscious".
Talking to my subconscious is my primary goal in LD so I wanted to ask questions

He is in fact your subconsciousness and your own desire to talk to your own subconsciousness has helped to created this experience. You thou have some inner fears about either LD or what you may find out throu your subconsciousness or about yourself and hence are creating this scary guy!

Can you see how you and your own thoughts create this?

All I ever wanted was to take control and see the world with your eyes!!!" and at the same time 'he' materializes itself in the form of a big strong bald guy 20 years older than me and starts running towards me. I freak out completely shouting "you can't, cause I'm in control here!" and use all my strength to wake up, finding myself on my real bad mumbling the rest of the phrase in tears.

Good try but dont try to run away from your own fears by making yourself wake up.. all you are doing by that is not facing and by doing this you've just created more fear for yourself about this, so it makes it even more likely you will next time experience this again.

Also trying to get away from something by making oneself wake up, thou it often does work, it also thou carries the risk of someone finding themselves in a false awakening nightmare situation. So I dont recommend going about this in this way. Instead face your fears, know its only your own thoughts and thinking which is creating this and control them by facing it. Only be facing the fearful stuff you are creating, can you overcome it and stop it.

Try this next time.. shut your eyes on the guy and think of an little innocent boy (got a young nephew?). Think of the guy which is scarying you changing to that. Then open your eyes and EXPECT what you were thinking to be standing there before you instead. This is how I once got rid of a LD demon who was right in front of me, wanting to kill me and was terrifying me. Thou I was very scared (so scared I thought I was going to pee myself), it still actually worked.

Really KNOW its YOUR dream and YOUR THOUGHTS which are creating this guy and YOU CAN CHANGE this...
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Nov 2014 11:31

JogDog wrote:So tonight, I did a reality check in-dream for the third time. This is also the third time a reality check has failed. I mentioned this in a different thread a while ago and was told to do a different one, and so I did, but I still do the old one when dreaming. So, what to do? I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "really focus on the reality check, be patient", but... It might not be.

Failing reality checks is nothing to do with patience... it means that you are either making them fail by not being in the frame of mind that you may be dreaming and truely questioning your reality...or the reality check you are doing is just wrong for you.

I suggest not to do one you know which fails for you (as maybe then you could be setting the others up to fail too for you)
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 02 Nov 2014 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 02 Nov 2014 11:57

JogDog wrote:So tonight, I did a reality check in-dream for the third time. This is also the third time a reality check has failed. I mentioned this in a different thread a while ago and was told to do a different one, and so I did, but I still do the old one when dreaming. So, what to do? I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "really focus on the reality check, be patient", but... It might not be.

Can you help me please. I do a lot of reality checks since 2 years but never saw a dream where i saw my hand or do a reality check.

What do you do to have a lot of dream where you do reality check??? Explain me what you do during the day etc...
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 24+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Return to “For Beginners”