Having some difficulties...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
StrawberrySnail

Having some difficulties...

Postby StrawberrySnail » 30 Dec 2014 14:58

Hello everyone,

I´m new to this forum, not new to LD though, I used to do it quite a lot as a kid and am trying to get back into it. I am reading LaBerge now, have been keeping a dream journal for about two months, and I´m trying to do RCs a couple of times a day (although I find it a bit hard not to go like "Am I dreaming now? Eh, no, of course I´m not!" - you know what I mean, like REALLY pondering on the question).

So far, I have had nine lucid dreams in two months. I was quite happy with the first two or three, but lately it feels like my dreams lack quality. They are very blurry, very short, I´m struggling to stay in them, all in all, it´s a little unsatisfying. I have tried spinning, rubbing my hands together, demanding "Clarity now!", nothing seems to work. Now, I´m not overly excited about being lucid, since I´ve done it a lot when I was small, so that can´t be the problem. I don´t have any big plans for my lucid dreams at the moment either, I would just like them to become a bit more stable.

Oh, and something else that occurs quite a lot: Moving is often hard in my dreams. It feels like some force is holding me back, so I can only move in slow-motion. I´m struggling to get doors open. Sometimes, when I want to speak, my voice is gone.

Anyone experienced stuff like this too? Are these "normal" beginner´s difficulties?
"There´s nothing to fear but fear itself." (Scarecrow)

Je-Je

Re: Having some difficulties...

Postby Je-Je » 30 Dec 2014 18:49

Oh, and something else that occurs quite a lot: Moving is often hard in my dreams. It feels like some force is holding me back, so I can only move in slow-motion.

I have the same problem but for flying. In all my lucid dream, when I try to fly I fall down, but I think with time when I will become more advance in lucid dream, I will get used to it, and there will only have my imagination as my own limit.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 24+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Dec 2014 07:59

Unable to talk and slow to move happens to me from time to time. I've had quite a few lucid dreams so don't even think it's a 'beginners' problem. 9 lucid dreams in 2 months is not a bad record. Give yourself some credit.

Heck, I still can't fly in a dream easily and it only happens every now and then. Most of the time I can only jump really high, about the height of a house or tree.

For your other problems and mine, I think they are 'mental blocks'. I must think there is nothing higher than what I can see around me which is a house or tree or perhaps my fear of heights stop me. And unable to speak and feeling like walking in slowmotion has happened to me on a few occasions too despite having many lucid dreams I have recorded for 3 years.

I'm still not sure exactly how to overcome a 'mental block' or even how to define it, but I'm pretty sure that's what's stopping us. In the back of our minds, subliminal, and beyond our awareness, our subconscious is overriding it.

(That would be a great new topic: MENTAL BLOCKS)
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

StrawberrySnail

Postby StrawberrySnail » 31 Dec 2014 10:54

HAGART wrote:9 lucid dreams in 2 months is not a bad record. Give yourself some credit.

Thank you. I reckon it was not too hard for me to have them because I already had them as a child, so I knew it could be done. :)

And mental blocks, that´s what I was thinking too! Because every time it happens, I´m thinking "oh crap, not again!", so I reckon I´m subconsciously expecting it to happen, in a way...

It´s kind of the same way with nightmares, isn´t it? Like, you fear for something creepy to be there, and of course, there it is! :cry:

But how to overcome it??

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jan 2015 11:31

I don´t have any big plans for my lucid dreams at the moment either, I would just like them to become a bit more stable.

That may be part of the issue. It helps one stay in a LD better if one has an actual goal of something to do, helps to have something to focus on and a desire to being doing that thing.

When I do WILD I drop out of LDs a lot but its been very good practice at learning how to then get straight back into a dream.

You could try something like self hypnosis or affirmations to try to get over a mental block. (dont focus on what you cant do or have trouble with, focus instead on what you want to be doing).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

The Wolverine

Postby The Wolverine » 02 Jan 2015 20:43

Ive heard meditation helps alot for lucid dreaming

StrawberrySnail

Postby StrawberrySnail » 03 Jan 2015 10:49

taniaaust1 wrote:That may be part of the issue. It helps one stay in a LD better if one has an actual goal of something to do, helps to have something to focus on and a desire to being doing that thing.

Yeah, I think that could be it! I had another LD where I set my mind to finding a certain DC. I didn´t find him; when I asked other DCs they only shrugged their shoulders and turned away, but at least the dream lasted long enough for me to go downstairs, leave the house, walk down the street and enter another house. :)

I´ll go look for him again next time. :D

Return to “For Beginners”