Questions about my tactics

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Vegosiux

Questions about my tactics

Postby Vegosiux » 28 Jan 2015 00:12

Hello, everyone!

I've recently started trying to get the entire lucid dreaming thing going regularly - ironically, after I got into one accidentally. What happened was I snapped awake into sleep paralysis, panicked and went "No, this isn't happening" and suddenly there was a wall in front of me and I forced myself through...it felt like quite some effort.

Sadly, I only remember fragments of the dream itself, but I know I was aware of having been in a dream. Naturally, it intrigued me. So, following around, this is what I do daily:

When I wake up, I scribble down madly whatever I can still remember. Usually mere fragments, single scenes. It all fades so quickly once I'm awake, but if I lie back and close my eyes it all comes back to me...but only until I wake up again properly. If I'm conscious enough to hold a pen and write something coherent, no coherence is left in my mind about the dreams and best I can do is a few bullet points. Will this change?

Second, reality checks...I kind of adopted one that whenever I open through a door, I close my eyes for a moment, and imagine what's going to be on the other side once I walk through - something that is distinctly different from what I know to be on the other side in reality. Good reality check, or would I need to do something that involves my own body (like the finger technique) instead or in addition?

Meditation is difficult as there's always a lot of distractions, but at least I have this feeling of discomfort if a sharp distraction snaps me out of it, so I suppose I indeed am achieving some clarity of mind, and the discomfort is from having that clarity shattered by a loud noise or such.

Now, I'm not expecting I'll be able to control my dreams or even remember them vividly from the get-go, but I am looking for advice to improve my techniques.

taniaaust1

Re: Questions about my tactics

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Jan 2015 11:46

Second, reality checks...I kind of adopted one that whenever I open through a door, I close my eyes for a moment, and imagine what's going to be on the other side once I walk through - something that is distinctly different from what I know to be on the other side in reality. Good reality check,

How something is done is just as important as what you are doing. For something like that one to work, you need to be truely open to possibility of something else being on the other side of the door. I personally would find that a hard check to do in my waking reality (and you need to believe it could be a dream in your waking reality to really seriously be doing the reality check).

Some find it hard during LDs to create a new setting on the other side of a door, so I personally dont think its a good reality check for a beginner. It would be like using a reality check of flying to see if you are dreaming or not when many in LDs find it hard to fly.

Unless you feel very strongly about that reality check, I do suggest to do some reality checks which would be easier if you are in fact having a LD eg looking at hand to see if hand is strange and believing it may be when you look, is a quite easy reality check. So is trying to push a finger throu hand.

If your current reality check motivates you to reality check.. keep that up too.

When I wake up, I scribble down madly whatever I can still remember. Usually mere fragments, single scenes. It all fades so quickly once I'm awake, but if I lie back and close my eyes it all comes back to me...

If you keep doing that, it should become easier to remember them and one day you should find you are able to remember without problems.

You could also experiement and give WILD a go.. by trying to imagine being back in the dream you can remember as soon as you wake up.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Vegosiux

Re: Questions about my tactics

Postby Vegosiux » 01 Feb 2015 05:15

Thanks for the thoughts. Think I'm going to try going with a few different reality checks, just to keep my mind at them (so they don't become routine, which would defeat their purpose as I understand).

Dream recall has been getting better slowly tho!

Return to “For Beginners”