How to improve self-awareness/lucidity?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
sld128

How to improve self-awareness/lucidity?

Postby sld128 » 24 Jan 2017 23:00

Hello!

So, I'm a new lucid dreamer and I've tried to become lucid for about a month. I've had one successful lucid dream using the MILD where I realized I was lucid and then immediately woke up. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. My question is how I can improve my self-awareness in the waking world as well as in dreams. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If needed I am 14 years old.

Thank you! :D

Sean Jacobs

Re: How to improve self-awareness/lucidity?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 31 Jan 2017 14:20

sld128 wrote:Hello!

So, I'm a new lucid dreamer and I've tried to become lucid for about a month. I've had one successful lucid dream using the MILD where I realized I was lucid and then immediately woke up. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. My question is how I can improve my self-awareness in the waking world as well as in dreams. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If needed I am 14 years old.

Thank you! :D

Hello sld128. Congrats on your first brief LD. That is a good start. For me, I can't use many of the typical techniques because I suffer from insomnia. Even simple things like keeping a dream journal and MILD tend to wake me up enough to prevent me from falling back to sleep. For the last week I am relying completely on developing a "Lucid Mindset" and reality checks. Here is what I do: When ever I move into a new location/environment (a new room, going from inside to outside or outside to inside, etc) I ask myself "Am I dreaming?", then do a reality check (I count my fingers - but always count past 5 and expect more fingers to appear), then I look around and examine my surroundings closely for anything out of the ordinary, odd or "dreamlike". I do this many times per day (my best estimate is 50+ times per day. The goal is to make this in ingrained habit which will feed over to my subconscious mind and subsequently to my dreams. My expectation is that it will take somewhere from 1-3 months of following this plan every day to make it a habit. I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

sld128

Re: How to improve self-awareness/lucidity?

Postby sld128 » 31 Jan 2017 18:43

That is a great idea! Thank you for the input!

Return to “For Beginners”