LD without visualization

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
GwenDR

LD without visualization

Postby GwenDR » 02 Feb 2017 18:53

So I lucid dream on my own, but infrequently, and I don't have a lot of control beyond flying, walking through walls, and deciding something I want to see is around the corner. I've recently become interested in learning LD as a skill, due in large part to learning I had aphantasia (or rather, I learned that most other people don't have aphantasia).

Aphantasia refers to an inability to have or form mental imagery. That is, there's no pictures in my head, and my mind's eye is blind. My imagination and memories take the form of "knowing" something is there, and what it looks like, but without actually seeing it. As a metaphor, I can feel my imagination the same way I feel where my foot is, and what it's state is. But all of this lacks the emotional connection that most people have with their vivid images and memories, and doesn't have a feel of immersion, as though I'm living or reliving it. Lucid dreams are the closest I get to what imagination might be like for other people, and I'd like to be able to experience that more frequently.

Anyone else with aphantasia had success learning to dream lucidly? And what methods might work best for someone with no visualization? It's possible my blind imagination would work just as well, so I'm not going to not try a method just because the instructions say "visualize" but it'd be helpful to have options that don't rely on it. Thanks for any help!

V/R
Gwen

Sean Jacobs

Re: LD without visualization

Postby Sean Jacobs » 02 Feb 2017 20:05

Sorry GwenDR. I had never even heard of aphantasia until I just Googled it when I read your post.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

GwenDR

Re: LD without visualization

Postby GwenDR » 02 Feb 2017 22:32

That's ok. Until a few months ago, I'd never heard of being able to visualize! I thought everyone had aphantasia.

Return to “For Beginners”