Semi-Noob needs some tips

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DreamingRobot

Semi-Noob needs some tips

Postby DreamingRobot » 02 Feb 2017 20:17

Last night was my first attempt at conscious lucid dreaming, and it definitely didn't go as expected.
Long post ahead, sorry.

Though I'm not new to dreaming, or lucid dreaming, I'm not good at consciously trying or being able to control it. I decided to try the MILD technique because of it. I performed a bunch of reality checks throughout the day, and by the time I was ready for bed I was pretty excited to try my hand at this. I suppose that was my first problem.
Though I was tired when I went to bed, performing my mantra of 'I will lucid dream' lead to me only becoming excited and waking me further. I attempted to calm down, which worked for a while, and then started to visualize what I wanted to dream about. That also woke me up again, and I had to simmer down yet again.

Eventually, I found myself drifting off, which was when the first weird thing happened. I could feel my body winding down, like I was finally drifting off, but my brain was still thinking clearly. It was as if I could feel the energy of my limbs expanding until I felt like a weird ..well, kinetic marshmallow, I guess. All I could hear was my inner voice, and I couldn't move if I tried.
Realizing that caused me to get excited again. My hearing returned, I could hear my significant other breathing loudly, and I fully woke up.
Because of that, I became irritated, and that became the catalyst for what was to come. It took me a while to relax again. I eventually fell asleep. However, instead of becoming lucid, I just had a bunch of vivid nightmares. I woke three separate times, and despite my efforts, the nightmare just continued on through each of them. Thanks, subconscious.

Unfortunately, I pretty much know why those things happened; I know I need to relax, I know where the dreams came from, etc. I also know this is only my first attempt, and it'll only get easier as time goes on. However.
My question(s) are this:

When I first fell 'asleep', was that a step into lucid dreaming? Was that a form of sleep paralysis? I've never experienced that before.

When attempting the last two stages of MILD, how can I do it in a way that doesn't just keep me awake/wake me up when attempting them? Am I performing them too soon?

Thanks in advanced!

Sean Jacobs

Re: Semi-Noob needs some tips

Postby Sean Jacobs » 02 Feb 2017 20:36

DreamingRobot wrote:When I first fell 'asleep', was that a step into lucid dreaming? Was that a form of sleep paralysis? I've never experienced that before.

When attempting the last two stages of MILD, how can I do it in a way that doesn't just keep me awake/wake me up when attempting them? Am I performing them too soon?

Thanks in advanced!

It sounds like you were at the initial phase of WILD where you were moving directly from being awake into a dream state while remaining conscious. You can experience sleep paralysis during WILD. This is a technique that never worked for me. Once my conscious mind starts running I can not get back to sleep.

If you are a light sleeper like me you may struggle with any technique which requires you to wake up during the night, engage your conscious mind, and then try to go back to sleep. Here are some things which may help: To help me sleep more soundly I take 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate, 2 Valerian Root capsules, and 2 Holy Basil capsules about 30 minutes before I go to sleep. This helps me get back to sleep at night, and my dreams have been more vivid. I also downloaded an app which allows me to play different soothing sounds (ocean waves, a stream, a rain storm, etc). When I wake up and can't calm my mind I just focus on these "white noise" sounds and they help me get back to sleep.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

DreamingRobot

Re: Semi-Noob needs some tips

Postby DreamingRobot » 03 Feb 2017 08:27

I wasn't trying to perform WILD, it's interesting I managed to make it happen. I'm especially surprised since it happened when I was first attempting to sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll experiment with those if I continue to have troubles.

Return to “For Beginners”