Ask If I'm Dreaming and Not Knowing the Answer?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Thorpe

Ask If I'm Dreaming and Not Knowing the Answer?

Postby Thorpe » 06 Feb 2017 23:27

Hi all, new here.

So I've been trying to lucid dream for over a week now. I've come very close a few times. Once, in my dream, I managed to ask myself was I dreaming. Strange thing was, I didn't seem to know the answer. Does anyone know what this is about?

Thanks.
"And bombs are dropped on fighting cats,
and childrens' dreams are run with rats."

The Who - Helpless Dancer

florence521

Re: Ask If I'm Dreaming and Not Knowing the Answer?

Postby florence521 » 07 Feb 2017 03:11

If you didn't know the answer, I don't think it was an LD but you are getting very close!

A Lucid dream is classified as just knowing you are dreaming. There are different levels of lucidity though, and if you want to understand them check out Ed Kellogg's continuum of lucid dreaming article.

http://www.improverse.com/ed-articles/kellogg/

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 07 Feb 2017 14:00

I agree with florence521. You are getting closer to lucid dreaming. You just need to cross that line where you suddenly have the realization that you might be dreaming. That is when your conscious mind awakens and opens the door for lucidity.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Vaelan

Postby Vaelan » 07 Feb 2017 20:35

I'm going to botch a quote here but it applies.

"No one can tell you, you are in love, you just know it, right down to your bones"

Lucid dreaming is a lot like that. You know you are in a lucid state when you know you are in a lucid state. It's that simple. If you are questioning when you wake up. You haven't been. You just have a decent memory.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 23:01

Vaelan wrote:I'm going to botch a quote here but it applies.

"No one can tell you, you are in love, you just know it, right down to your bones"

Lucid dreaming is a lot like that. You know you are in a lucid state when you know you are in a lucid state. It's that simple. If you are questioning when you wake up. You haven't been. You just have a decent memory.

That is pretty close Vaelan.

I remember in high school having a conversation with 2 girls about sex. One asked the other, "Have you ever had an orgasm?" The other replied, "I think so." The first responded, "Then you definitely haven't. Orgasms are like sneezing. When you sneeze you damn well know you just sneezed. Orgasms are the same way. When you have one, you will damn well know you had one."

Lucid dreaming is like sneezing or having an orgasm. When you do, you will definitely know it. :D
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Thorpe

Postby Thorpe » 10 Feb 2017 00:55

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll keep trying and see what comes out of it.
"And bombs are dropped on fighting cats,
and childrens' dreams are run with rats."

The Who - Helpless Dancer

Return to “For Beginners”