New here, but long-time lucid

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucid1fred

New here, but long-time lucid

Postby lucid1fred » 20 Jul 2012 05:45

I'm finally taking the leap to put myself out there as a lucid dreamer with the hope that I may learn more and perhaps help others with comments and the like.

I am a 50-something-year-old guy that has been having lucid dreams as long as I can remember. I do recall telling my mother at around age 5 about a dream where I was flying over our house and that I could then change and fly to my friends house. She passed it off as a nightmare or silly 5-yr-old musings, but it was (and still is) clear as if I was awake and had super powers.

All through my childhood and teenage years, I found that I could 'setup' my dreams into a group of favorites - many of which I still use today. I didn't know this whole act of lucid dreaming had a name until the mid-1970s or so when I happened to mention it to a then-girlfriend - she worked at a university blood research center but had conversed with someone about nightmares and such - and we got into a heated arguement about dreams. I did some followup research and came across old mentions of lucid dreaming in some long-forgotten books.

Anyway, fast-forward to the present...I'm now married for nearly 32 years, have two wonderful kids that are both out on their own, and I live a typical working professional middle-class comfortable life. No serious worries, no regrets, no 'life issues' - just no one to discuss lucid dreams with...and I thought it might be time to do just that.

I don't use any special techniques as noted here (I've skim-read a few of the introductory articles and such here - interesting) and I have always thought that for me, lucid dreaming was just a way to get a good night's sleep with a twist. I am usually aware of others around me while sleeping/dreaming (this was a great help at times when our kids were little and up in the middle of the night) and I can wake myself up pretty much at will. Yes, I know when I'm dreaming and when I'm awake. ;) I used to scare my parents sometimes when they would 'peek in' on me after being out for an evening dinner or something and I would ask "How was dinner?" while essentially fast asleep at 2 am or so.

I know that this is probably maddening to some here...and perhaps fascinating to others. For me, it's just a way of life that I've always known. I've never participated in studies or really talked to anyone about this outside of my wife and kids and a few friends (that usually nod in that "I don't get it" kind of way).

That's me....Fred.

Return to “For Beginners”