Being so close to lucid

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
PumpkinofDreams

Being so close to lucid

Postby PumpkinofDreams » 10 Feb 2017 15:25

I get really close to realizing I'm dreaming. ... and then my brain finds a way to fix it.

- I think that I must be dreaming and my dream suddenly gets super vivid and really in detail to make me rethink.
- I think this can't be real... I'm watching tv or I'm in a video game... because that's logical.
-There was text in my dream. I was in Blockbuster. But the movie text seemed off. But the titles were stable so dream brain was like " no the words aren't changing so this isn't a dream." :|

I keep getting so close !

Sean Jacobs

Re: Being so close to lucid

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Feb 2017 15:40

PumpkinofDreams wrote:I get really close to realizing I'm dreaming. ... and then my brain finds a way to fix it.

- I think that I must be dreaming and my dream suddenly gets super vivid and really in detail to make me rethink.
- I think this can't be real... I'm watching tv or I'm in a video game... because that's logical.
-There was text in my dream. I was in Blockbuster. But the movie text seemed off. But the titles were stable so dream brain was like " no the words aren't changing so this isn't a dream." :|

I keep getting so close !

Dream logic is horrible. But just having that brief moment where you questioned reality means you are extremely close. What techniques are you using? Are you doing reality checks throughout the day?
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

PumpkinofDreams

Postby PumpkinofDreams » 10 Feb 2017 16:02

[quote="Sean Jacobs]

Dream logic is horrible. But just having that brief moment where you questioned reality means you are extremely close. What techniques are you using? Are you doing reality checks throughout the day?[/quote]

Aside from keeping a REALLY detailed dream journal I take time to analyze my surroundings. I'll say things like " this is a bus in really. Not a dream bus. I know this because..." or " I am not dreaming and it is obvious because."

I also used to check for hyper reality because I noticed my dreams didn't get small details. So I would look at my jeans and evaluate each strand of thread and say ... " in my dreams I don't see things this closely or well."

But now my dream brain does that to compensate. Haha.
The other night I was about to get my car (I dont even drive) stolen while in it by an escaped convict. I thought... "yeah no ... this has to be a dream." So I focus and suddenly I see the fibers in his clothes and the orange is bright and his hair! I could even see each strand of hair! So I floor the pedal to escape. Ask myself again how I even have a car and I suddenly can't drive, cause and accident and the cops reprehend me for driving with out a
License.

It's like dream logic is fighting me.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Feb 2017 17:15

It does sound like you dreaming mind is finding excuses to justify incredibly strange things....which happens to all of us. If you had a standard reality check (mine is counting my fingers on one hand...and I always count past 5 and fully expect more fingers to appear), which you use throughout your waking life you would then use it in your dream when something truly strange happens.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

PumpkinofDreams

Postby PumpkinofDreams » 10 Feb 2017 19:09

Seems simple enough. So when you count your fingers and have 8 fingers you automatically realize your dreaming?

Return to “For Beginners”