Dream Recall Issues (And a RC question)

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Maxthedoom

Dream Recall Issues (And a RC question)

Postby Maxthedoom » 12 Feb 2017 20:24

Hello everyone!
This is my third attempt at lucid dreaming.I've had 2 attempts which lasted for 1-2 weeks before this.My previous attempts made me too frustrated and I decided to quit.It's clearly something that I am always going to come back to,no matter how many times I quit,so quiting only makes me lose the habit of making RC's.
Third time's the charm,right?

I make RC's quite often,I try to make one every hour at the least.(Sometimes I worry that I do too many,so I went from every half hour to one hour.)-I pinch my nose and I try breathing through it.And then I pinch my arm.(I'm not sure if the latter is valid,it is used in movies and cartoons monstly,but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if it's any good,I can simply replace it with trying to push my fingers through my palm,but pinching is quick,and not as "weird" to other people.You know,people in trams,buses etc.)
Anyway,my greatest issue is dream recall.
I write my dreams down on my phone in an app called "Awoken".First week had a dream every night.The dreams are very short moments,like talking to someone,or my classmate getting graded on a book report.During math.As for the second week,I had another short dream on monday.No dream on tuesday,and a longer dream on wednesday,where I raced my 2 best friends.That's pretty good for a begginer,right?But I haven't had a single dream since wednesday!No dreams for 4 days straight!That is very frustrating.
So,any tips regarding dream recall would be greatly appreciated.If you don't care about my sleep schedule,don't bother reading the rest.
So,some things about my dream schedule:
First of all,my sleep depends on school.I've got a week with school in the morining,and one in the afternoon.
As this last week,with no dreams is not infact the morning week,but the afternoon week,where I have more time to sleep!
Before I started to try doing this again,I slept for 7 hours.From 10 to 5 on moring weeks,and from 12 to 7 on afternoon weeks.
For the first week,I slept for the same period of time as I just stated,from 10 to 5,or from 11 to 6,depending on if school starts at 8 or 8 50 (Yes,it takes me 2 hours to go to school.)As for the second week,I tried to improve my chances of getting better dreams by going to sleep at 11 instead of 12,and then waking up at 8 instead of 7.Now I realize that the jump from 7 to 9 hours of sleep time,although seemingly a better option,might be a problem.At those times I usually wake up at 5 30-6,renembering no dreams,and then sleeping again until 8.
And now,with the start of the morning period week,I'm pretty much forced back to 7 hours of sleep time.I'm hoping this removes this no-dream period.
Anyway,I'm sorry if I wasted too much of your time,and I would greatly appreciate any sort of help.
Do a reality check.

Sean Jacobs

Re: Dream Recall Issues (And a RC question)

Postby Sean Jacobs » 13 Feb 2017 17:01

Maxthedoom wrote:Hello everyone!
This is my third attempt at lucid dreaming.I've had 2 attempts which lasted for 1-2 weeks before this.My previous attempts made me too frustrated and I decided to quit.It's clearly something that I am always going to come back to,no matter how many times I quit,so quiting only makes me lose the habit of making RC's.
Third time's the charm,right?

I make RC's quite often,I try to make one every hour at the least.(Sometimes I worry that I do too many,so I went from every half hour to one hour.)-I pinch my nose and I try breathing through it.And then I pinch my arm.(I'm not sure if the latter is valid,it is used in movies and cartoons monstly,but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if it's any good,I can simply replace it with trying to push my fingers through my palm,but pinching is quick,and not as "weird" to other people.You know,people in trams,buses etc.)
Anyway,my greatest issue is dream recall.
I write my dreams down on my phone in an app called "Awoken".First week had a dream every night.The dreams are very short moments,like talking to someone,or my classmate getting graded on a book report.During math.As for the second week,I had another short dream on monday.No dream on tuesday,and a longer dream on wednesday,where I raced my 2 best friends.That's pretty good for a begginer,right?But I haven't had a single dream since wednesday!No dreams for 4 days straight!That is very frustrating.
So,any tips regarding dream recall would be greatly appreciated.If you don't care about my sleep schedule,don't bother reading the rest.
So,some things about my dream schedule:
First of all,my sleep depends on school.I've got a week with school in the morining,and one in the afternoon.
As this last week,with no dreams is not infact the morning week,but the afternoon week,where I have more time to sleep!
Before I started to try doing this again,I slept for 7 hours.From 10 to 5 on moring weeks,and from 12 to 7 on afternoon weeks.
For the first week,I slept for the same period of time as I just stated,from 10 to 5,or from 11 to 6,depending on if school starts at 8 or 8 50 (Yes,it takes me 2 hours to go to school.)As for the second week,I tried to improve my chances of getting better dreams by going to sleep at 11 instead of 12,and then waking up at 8 instead of 7.Now I realize that the jump from 7 to 9 hours of sleep time,although seemingly a better option,might be a problem.At those times I usually wake up at 5 30-6,renembering no dreams,and then sleeping again until 8.
And now,with the start of the morning period week,I'm pretty much forced back to 7 hours of sleep time.I'm hoping this removes this no-dream period.
Anyway,I'm sorry if I wasted too much of your time,and I would greatly appreciate any sort of help.

Hi Maxthedoom. I understand when you say that you will keep coming back to lucid dreaming. I have have been off and on since 2004. I always seem to come back to it. I completely understand your frustration. There is nothing worse than working very hard for something and not getting the results you want.

As for some advice: You mention doing reality checks regularly. Personally I like RCs as a way to induce lucidity while dreaming, however I believe this is a long term plan. In order for RCs to work it needs to be a habit that is so deeply ingrained that you don't even think about it any more, you just do them under certain circumstances. This is when that habit moves into your subconscious mind and feeds into your dreams. Find a very common event that occurs in your dreams and then do a RC when that event happens in real life. For me, I have selected doing RCs whenever I find myself in a new location/environment (when I enter a new room, or a building, or go outside, etc). I am working to make this a subconscious habit. However, I expect that it will take me any where from 30 days to 90 days of doing this consistently to make it a subconscious habit. So I have to be very patient, very consistent, and stay very positive. In addition, I don't just do a RC. When I find myself in a new location I first ask myself "Am I dreaming?" and then look around for anything that seems "dream-like", then I do my RC. This improves your awareness which will help you become lucid. So to sum up, do a "Question reality & reality check" combination during a comment event which occurs in your dreams and in reality. Try to stay positive as much as you can and do not get stressed about not having LDs. Every night is an opportunity for adventure. If you don't have a LD, don't worry about it. There will be many more nights and you will succeed.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “For Beginners”