I knew it was a dream, but it didn't become vivid...?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
MysticalMeadows

I knew it was a dream, but it didn't become vivid...?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 23 Feb 2017 00:14

So last night or rather this morning because I woke up at around 7 and slept almost immediately again. I had a dream and in the dream I realized it was a dream (I can't remember if I did a reality check or not). When I realized it was a dream, nothing happened, it didn't become more clear and vivid like it should've I don't know what happened. Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened or how I can turn it into a vivid/controlled lucid dream?

All replies are greatly appreciated. :D

Sean Jacobs

Re: I knew it was a dream, but it didn't become vivid...?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 23 Feb 2017 14:13

MysticalMeadows wrote:So last night or rather this morning because I woke up at around 7 and slept almost immediately again. I had a dream and in the dream I realized it was a dream (I can't remember if I did a reality check or not). When I realized it was a dream, nothing happened, it didn't become more clear and vivid like it should've I don't know what happened. Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened or how I can turn it into a vivid/controlled lucid dream?

Hi MysticalMeadows. Congrats on realizing you were dreaming. What happened to you is common especially for people who are new to lucid dreaming. There are levels of lucidity. On a scale of 1 to 10:
1 is realizing you are dreaming but still treating your dream as it is 100% real. You play along with the narrative, you feel all the emotions of the situation, you treat dream characters as if they are real people, etc.
10 is realizing you are dreaming and completely understanding that you are in 100% control of every aspect of your dream and acting accordingly. You know dream characters are only dream characters, you know everything is being created by your mind, you know you have the power to do absolutely anything you choose as long as you believe you can.

The more lucid you become the more realistic the dream environment will become. You can use techniques like rubbing your hands together and speaking to your subconscious and saying "Increase Clarity!" to make things look more vivid. It often help to speak out loud to your self, to help you understand you are dreaming and in control. You can say, "I am dreaming! This is my dream and I have complete control of everything!"

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 23 Feb 2017 20:57

Sean Jacobs wrote:
MysticalMeadows wrote:So last night or rather this morning because I woke up at around 7 and slept almost immediately again. I had a dream and in the dream I realized it was a dream (I can't remember if I did a reality check or not). When I realized it was a dream, nothing happened, it didn't become more clear and vivid like it should've I don't know what happened. Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened or how I can turn it into a vivid/controlled lucid dream?

Hi MysticalMeadows. Congrats on realizing you were dreaming. What happened to you is common especially for people who are new to lucid dreaming. There are levels of lucidity. On a scale of 1 to 10:
1 is realizing you are dreaming but still treating your dream as it is 100% real. You play along with the narrative, you feel all the emotions of the situation, you treat dream characters as if they are real people, etc.
10 is realizing you are dreaming and completely understanding that you are in 100% control of every aspect of your dream and acting accordingly. You know dream characters are only dream characters, you know everything is being created by your mind, you know you have the power to do absolutely anything you choose as long as you believe you can.

The more lucid you become the more realistic the dream environment will become. You can use techniques like rubbing your hands together and speaking to your subconscious and saying "Increase Clarity!" to make things look more vivid. It often help to speak out loud to your self, to help you understand you are dreaming and in control. You can say, "I am dreaming! This is my dream and I have complete control of everything!"

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for replying! I'm going to try what you said next time. :)

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 23 Feb 2017 21:54

MysticalMeadows wrote:Thank you so much for replying! I'm going to try what you said next time. :)

I hope you have your next lucid dream comes soon and that it is amazing. :D

neil

Postby neil » 23 Feb 2017 22:39

I have trouble getting clarity and stability. A few dreams ago I tried staring at the details of my hands, as per instructions, and the closer I looked, the less clear they became until they disappeared.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 24 Feb 2017 16:14

neil wrote:I have trouble getting clarity and stability. A few dreams ago I tried staring at the details of my hands, as per instructions, and the closer I looked, the less clear they became until they disappeared.

Hi neil. that is exactly what should happen. The brain has a difficult time with certain types of detail. For some reason it has difficulty replicating the small details of the human hand (most of the time). That is why looking at your hand is a highly effective reality check, although I personally add counting my fingers (and always counting past 5 with the full expectation that more fingers will appear) just to be safe.

neil

Postby neil » 24 Feb 2017 20:06

Thanks Sean. What do you feel is the key factor(s) that helps you get stability?

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 24 Feb 2017 20:29

neil wrote:Thanks Sean. What do you feel is the key factor(s) that helps you get stability?

In my opinion the key factor to stabilize the dream is moving your mental focus fully to your dream body and away from your physical body (safely asleep in the real world). You can do this in many ways, such as: Rubbing your hands together which focuses your mind on the feeling created by your dream hands rubbing together and thereby to your dream body. Engaging all 5 senses is another good way to focus your mind on your dream body. Sight, sound and touch are easy to engage; look closely at the details of your environment, speak out loud and listen to your own voice, rub your hands together or feel something in the environment around you. Smell and taste are not as easy, but with a little creativity you can do both at once...you can just say (and really believe it is true) that you have a candy cane in your back pocket and then just reach back and get it. Then you can smell and taste that sweet peppermint candy. As a last resort you can spin around while looking at the ground, or fall backwards. I would only use these if you find the dream fading and have to do something quickly to stay in a lucid dream. But both of these often lead to false awakenings, so be prepared to do a reality check if you wake up in your bed because you may still be sleeping.

I hope this helps.

neil

Postby neil » 25 Feb 2017 00:33

thanks mate, will let you know

Return to “For Beginners”