How Do You Force Yourself to Dream Journal?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
MysticalMeadows

How Do You Force Yourself to Dream Journal?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 07 Mar 2017 22:25

Hello! I'm just curious to hear how all of you force yourself to write down your dreams every single morning. I remember my dreams, but I'm just way to tired to write down my dreams in my dream journal when I wake up in the morning. How do you guys force yourself write down your dreams every morning?

All responses are greatly appreciated! :)

Eve0

Re: How Do You Force Yourself to Dream Journal?

Postby Eve0 » 07 Mar 2017 22:55

Writing down your dreams first thing in the morning is probably the worst part of lucid dreaming. Normally, before even moving when I wake up (because as soon as you start moving, talking, etc the neurons in your brain overwrite the memory of your dream) I recite how the dream went in my mind, which is also helpful for remembering more parts of your dream, because often I don't remember some aspects of my dream until I think about it and go over what happened in the dream in my mind. By that point, you should be more awake and hopefully have more motivation to write down your dream. Also, I find writing down the dream on my phone is way less annoying than having to write it out on a piece of paper. So, keep your phone by your bed as you sleep, (on airplane mode, as I'm sure you know it's not good to keep a phone sending out and receiving signals near your head while you're sleeping) and when you wake up, think about your dream, and then write it down. Alternatively, you could also record yourself talking about your dream instead of writing it down. I don't do this because I made a dream journal in which I analyze my dreams, but I find sometimes if I tell someone about my dream, and talk about it, I'll remember more parts of it, even if I talk about it hours later. Finally, if I wake up in the middle of the night, and remember a dream, what I'll do, if I'm too tired to even write it down on my computer, is go over the dream in my head, as I mentioned above, and then remember a small catch phrase if you will that sums up the dream. For example, last night I woke up around 3am and had a vivid dream about being in a park and running from UFOs shooting huge lasers down on me, and the catch phrase I made a mental note to remember was "Alien Warfare", and when I woke up, I only had a vague memory of being in a park, and didn't remember the alien attack at all, and then I remembered "Alien Warfare" and the entire dream came back to me as I thought about it more.

Hope these suggestions help!

AI360

Postby AI360 » 07 Mar 2017 23:38

What i do is I tell myself that I will not be able to lucid dream if I do not have a dream journal then I tell myself I have to or else I will have to say goodbye too flying or teleportation and sex

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 08 Mar 2017 01:01

Eve0 wrote:Writing down your dreams first thing in the morning is probably the worst part of lucid dreaming. Normally, before even moving when I wake up (because as soon as you start moving, talking, etc the neurons in your brain overwrite the memory of your dream) I recite how the dream went in my mind, which is also helpful for remembering more parts of your dream, because often I don't remember some aspects of my dream until I think about it and go over what happened in the dream in my mind. By that point, you should be more awake and hopefully have more motivation to write down your dream. Also, I find writing down the dream on my phone is way less annoying than having to write it out on a piece of paper. So, keep your phone by your bed as you sleep, (on airplane mode, as I'm sure you know it's not good to keep a phone sending out and receiving signals near your head while you're sleeping) and when you wake up, think about your dream, and then write it down. Alternatively, you could also record yourself talking about your dream instead of writing it down. I don't do this because I made a dream journal in which I analyze my dreams, but I find sometimes if I tell someone about my dream, and talk about it, I'll remember more parts of it, even if I talk about it hours later. Finally, if I wake up in the middle of the night, and remember a dream, what I'll do, if I'm too tired to even write it down on my computer, is go over the dream in my head, as I mentioned above, and then remember a small catch phrase if you will that sums up the dream. For example, last night I woke up around 3am and had a vivid dream about being in a park and running from UFOs shooting huge lasers down on me, and the catch phrase I made a mental note to remember was "Alien Warfare", and when I woke up, I only had a vague memory of being in a park, and didn't remember the alien attack at all, and then I remembered "Alien Warfare" and the entire dream came back to me as I thought about it more.

Hope these suggestions help!
Thank you so much for all these suggestions I really appreciate it! :D

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 08 Mar 2017 01:03

AI360 wrote:What i do is I tell myself that I will not be able to lucid dream if I do not have a dream journal then I tell myself I have to or else I will have to say goodbye too flying or teleportation and sex
So true, I just got to remember my motivations for wanting to lucid dream in the first place. Thanks for sharing what you do. :D

Price

Postby Price » 08 Mar 2017 07:14

The important thing is to write down your dreams before you forget them. If you can wake up and take a shower and not forget your dreams then you can write them down after the shower. You can write you dreams down during lunch time if you still remember them.

But if you immediately forget your dreams when you wake up then YES you need to write them down first thing in the morning.

I often write a list of bullet points and then when I am more awake I come back and fill in the details when I am more awake. The bullet points jog my memory.

Good Luck.

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 08 Mar 2017 19:25

Price wrote:The important thing is to write down your dreams before you forget them. If you can wake up and take a shower and not forget your dreams then you can write them down after the shower. You can write you dreams down during lunch time if you still remember them.

But if you immediately forget your dreams when you wake up then YES you need to write them down first thing in the morning.

I often write a list of bullet points and then when I am more awake I come back and fill in the details when I am more awake. The bullet points jog my memory.

Good Luck.
Thank you for the suggestion! :D

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 09 Mar 2017 20:50

I use a Cheap Voice Recorder, on waking up after a dream I may record the dream, or part of it, and back to sleep. I keep a diary and make notes after listening to the recording. For me it works. :)

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 10 Mar 2017 02:04

My ability to remember dreams is closely connected to how well motivated I am to keep a dream journal. When I get lazy, (which is often), then I only remember a few small fragments of dreams.

What works best for me is to keep a note pad and pen or pencil next to my bed. If I wake up at all during the night, I may reach for the pad and scribble down a few words or a simple little sketch of a dream object, plus any associated dream emotion. I often don't turn on the light.

When I first wake up in the morning, I may write down a few more words or phrases regarding any dream memories. If I look at these scribbles later in the day, they may jog a few more associated dream memories.

Later, I try to transcribe these notes more neatly in my dream journal within a couple of days. Adding some color to dream drawings seems to attract the interest of the unconscious mind.

If I wait too long, I may build up a stack of 50 dream notes, written on the backs of used envelopes, or whatever. Then it seems like too much of a chore to transfer them to my dream journal. My dreaming mind then says, "Well, Ms. procrastination, I'm not going to to send you interesting dreams if you don' t bother to record them in a respectful manner."

Price

Postby Price » 23 Mar 2017 05:26

My dreaming mind then says, "Well, Ms. procrastination, I'm not going to to send you interesting dreams if you don' t bother to record them in a respectful manner."

My dreams will also respond like this. If my dream gives me advice and I don't follow it, it often act like it is saying, "Fine! then I will not give you any more dreams until you do what I say" Once I follow the dream advice, my dreams will start up again.

Sometimes I feel like I have another person in my head creating my dreams, and that person can be moody, sarcastic, silly, and serious.

Return to “For Beginners”