How do you remember to do a reality check while dreaming?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Anyar

How do you remember to do a reality check while dreaming?

Postby Anyar » 13 Mar 2017 19:23

In real life, I do a reality check whenever I think of it, which is around 8 times a day.

In my dreams, though, often times either the main character isn't even me, or I'm too busy with my dream world to remember to do a reality check.

How can I remember to check even while I'm dreaming?

Sean Jacobs

Re: How do you remember to do a reality check while dreaming?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 13 Mar 2017 20:26

Hi Anyar. You're question is exactly what I'm basing my current plan for lucid dreaming.

The answer is, you need to do reality checks based on something that appears in your real life and your dreams. I have 2 examples where this has worked: First, earlier in my lucid dreaming journey I started doing RCs specifically when I was outside going for a walk, which I did every work day at lunch weather permitting. I did this for quite a while (months) to the point were it became an ingrained habit. Then one day was was walking through a field on a beautiful summer day and glanced at my hand out of habit...only to find I had extra fingers and became lucid. Second, my wife has a fear of "wetting the bed" so she always reality checks any time she uses the bathroom. She has had several lucid dreams triggered by attempting to use the bathroom in her dreams because she always does a RC under those circumstances.

What I am doing today is reality checks under 3 circumstances: 1. I reality check whenever I change locations (new room, outside to inside, inside to outside, new building, get into a vehicle, etc) or are in the same location for more than 10-15 minutes. 2. I RC when ever I have a negative emotion (anger, confusion, frustration, feat, etc). 3. When ever I am involved deeply in something where I lose awareness (I'm focused on a project, a Movie, a Game - I try to have a moment to break out of that focus to check if I'm dreaming.). All 3 of these things occur in my dreams often, and more than likely most peoples dreams.

You need something to trigger your reality check, something for your to remember. If you just do RCs randomly to most likely won't remember to do them in your dreams because there is no trigger.

Please be aware that this is a long term plan. I've read it can take longer than 3 months on very consistent practice to ingrain this habit deeply enough into your subconscious to have it flow over to your dreams. Speaking from experience I believe that is true. I just wish I had stuck with those reality checks back in the day. Now I'm starting all over again.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Anyar

Postby Anyar » 13 Mar 2017 22:40

Sean Jacobs wrote:Hi Anyar. Your question is exactly what I'm basing my current plan for lucid dreaming.

The answer is, you need to do reality checks based on something that appears in your real life and your dreams. I have 2 examples where this has worked: First, earlier in my lucid dreaming journey I started doing RCs specifically when I was outside going for a walk, which I did every work day at lunch weather permitting. I did this for quite a while (months) to the point where it became an ingrained habit. Then one day I was walking through a field on a beautiful summer day and glanced at my hand out of habit...only to find I had extra fingers and became lucid. Second, my wife has a fear of "wetting the bed" so she always reality checks any time she uses the bathroom. She has had several lucid dreams triggered by attempting to use the bathroom in her dreams because she always does a RC under those circumstances.

What I am doing today is reality checks under 3 circumstances: 1. I reality check whenever I change locations (new room, outside to inside, inside to outside, new building, get into a vehicle, etc) or are in the same location for more than 10-15 minutes. 2. I RC when ever I have a negative emotion (anger, confusion, frustration, fear, etc). 3. When ever I am involved deeply in something where I lose awareness (I'm focused on a project, a Movie, a Game - I try to have a moment to break out of that focus to check if I'm dreaming.). All 3 of these things occur in my dreams often, and more than likely most peoples' dreams.

You need something to trigger your reality check, something for your to remember. If you just do RCs randomly to most likely won't remember to do them in your dreams because there is no trigger.

Please be aware that this is a long term plan. I've read it can take longer than 3 months on very consistent practice to ingrain this habit deeply enough into your subconscious to have it flow over to your dreams. Speaking from experience I believe that is true. I just wish I had stuck with those reality checks back in the day. Now I'm starting all over again.

Interesting. This makes me wonder how useful it is to do reality checks based on alarms.

I'll try that out, then, though it may take a while. Thank you!

Anyar

Postby Anyar » 14 Mar 2017 01:00

Sean Jacobs wrote:Hi Anyar. You're question is exactly what I'm basing my current plan for lucid dreaming.

The answer is, you need to do reality checks based on something that appears in your real life and your dreams. I have 2 examples where this has worked: First, earlier in my lucid dreaming journey I started doing RCs specifically when I was outside going for a walk, which I did every work day at lunch weather permitting. I did this for quite a while (months) to the point were it became an ingrained habit. Then one day was was walking through a field on a beautiful summer day and glanced at my hand out of habit...only to find I had extra fingers and became lucid. Second, my wife has a fear of "wetting the bed" so she always reality checks any time she uses the bathroom. She has had several lucid dreams triggered by attempting to use the bathroom in her dreams because she always does a RC under those circumstances.

What I am doing today is reality checks under 3 circumstances: 1. I reality check whenever I change locations (new room, outside to inside, inside to outside, new building, get into a vehicle, etc) or are in the same location for more than 10-15 minutes. 2. I RC when ever I have a negative emotion (anger, confusion, frustration, feat, etc). 3. When ever I am involved deeply in something where I lose awareness (I'm focused on a project, a Movie, a Game - I try to have a moment to break out of that focus to check if I'm dreaming.). All 3 of these things occur in my dreams often, and more than likely most peoples dreams.

Well, actually, now that I think of it, there is one flaw.

How often do your dreams occur in your home, or somewhere you've actually been before?

Most of the dreams I've remembered are on some place I don't even recognize. They may seem vaguely familiar, but if I think about them, I'll realize I've never been to such a place before. I especially don't remember dreams about my home or neighborhood, if I do have such dreams.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 14 Mar 2017 01:43

Keep drilling the RC into your mind. What I've noticed that helps is using triggers.
Examples, like sound.
Hear your pet bark/meow? Question your waking state.
School bell rings? Question your waking state.
Suddenly feel cold? Question your state.

Rather than turning a particular activity you may forget, have things that remind you that could easily pop into your dreams.
Analyze your dream journal for any reoccurring incident, and every time that happens within reality, question your waking state.

This method worked for me far better than trying to remember to look at my hands randomly. It's A LOT more natural.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 14 Mar 2017 12:25

Anyar wrote:How often do your dreams occur in your home, or somewhere you've actually been before?

Most of the dreams I've remembered are on some place I don't even recognize. They may seem vaguely familiar, but if I think about them, I'll realize I've never been to such a place before. I especially don't remember dreams about my home or neighborhood, if I do have such dreams.

Hi Anyar. I completely agree. That is why I selected triggers which are not based on a specific location. I just RC whenever I change a location, at work, at home, if I am out anywhere. The emotional trigger can apply to any situation as well as just making it a point to interrupt myself when I am focusing on something just to do a quick RC.

Example: I went to the store to pick up some eggs. I did a RC when I exited my car, when I entered the store, when I left the store, when I got back into my car, when I exited my car, when i went into my house. I then sit on the couch and I'm watching TV, after about 10 min I glance at my hand (RC) because I've been in the same location for a while.
Example 2: I was annoyed at the store because the lines were too long and did a RC.
Example 3: When I got home my wife had some friends over and we all engaged in a conversation. I am very absorbed in the conversation when I glace at my hand (RC) just to quickly check I am not dreaming.

Over time this will become a habit and it will feed over to your dream life. However, it will take substantial time.
Last edited by Sean Jacobs on 14 Mar 2017 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 14 Mar 2017 12:26

DreamerMan99 wrote:Keep drilling the RC into your mind. What I've noticed that helps is using triggers.
Examples, like sound.
Hear your pet bark/meow? Question your waking state.
School bell rings? Question your waking state.
Suddenly feel cold? Question your state.

Rather than turning a particular activity you may forget, have things that remind you that could easily pop into your dreams.
Analyze your dream journal for any reoccurring incident, and every time that happens within reality, question your waking state.

This method worked for me far better than trying to remember to look at my hands randomly. It's A LOT more natural.

Great points DreamerMan99.

Anyar

Postby Anyar » 15 Mar 2017 00:08

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Return to “For Beginners”