I have no dream body?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Xanth

I have no dream body?

Postby Xanth » 28 Apr 2017 03:33

So I have a question about reality checking. My dreams are almost always from first person perspective, discounting occasional cinematic sequences which are probably from playing too many video games. Trouble is, I always seem to have very little awareness of my own body while in a dream. In a lot of my dreams, I seem to just drift about like a disembodied consciousness without much physical interaction with the dream world. I almost never look at my own hands in a dream, even though I do all the time in waking life. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on reality checking when dreaming me doesn't usually even notice that I have hands!

On the rare occasion that my hands do feature in dreams (for instance, I had a dream not long ago where I shook hands with Barack Obama :lol: ) the tactile sensation is very strong, so I'm fairly sure that if I can pay more attention to myself while I'm dreaming, a reality check would work very easily.

Can anyone give me any tips? Exercises to try while meditating or falling asleep, maybe? I'd really appreciate it!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

24/7/365

Re: I have no dream body?

Postby 24/7/365 » 29 Apr 2017 14:58

You can put a mark on your hand with a black marker or something. Then constantly look at it. When you are dreaming if you don't see the mark you know you are dreaming.

Xanth

Postby Xanth » 03 May 2017 01:19

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm afraid that doesn't actually answer my question. I'm never going to notice something about my hand if I never see my hand in the dream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 03 May 2017 16:54

Checking your hands doesn't matter so much as regularly asking yourself "is this a dream?" This questioning of your situation, environment and timeline is the core of any good reality check. In fact, calling the thought itself the reality check may be more beneficial than attaching it to an activity that can easily become mindless and lead to false-negatives.

That said, body awareness is useful for other reasons. Dedicated meditation sessions may help, but I wonder if they are too removed from business as usual for it to serve you while you're going about your dream. My suggestion would be to work on noticing your body throughout the mundane moments of life. Not even to do anything, just notice. I'm working at the computer and I have a body. My ankles are crossed and I'm a little cold. / I'm chatting in the hall and a have a body. My shoulder is resting on the wall and my hand is in my pocket. Add in a moment of wondering if where you are makes sense, and that could be your reality check.

CameronSeliso

Postby CameronSeliso » 09 May 2017 15:21

looks like u are conscious in the dream but not aware that you are conscious and dreaming ?

i was fucked up once in a dream like that. felt like i was very drunk (like with only 30% consciousness) and in real life when i look back at that time. i was like that too in my life. i was not wise and aware and very conscious in real life then. i think there is a big chance that that got replicated in the dream since it is the state of the brain and mind and stuff ?

i'm big noob at lucid dreaming. but my 2 cents :)

thebigdreamer20

Postby thebigdreamer20 » 10 May 2017 01:10

Interesting, we have all had dreams like that, but this is your primary dream. Let me ask you, in these dreams do you ever remember to do a reality check? Because it would seem to me, that realizing you don't have a body might indicate you are dreaming, lol.

Return to “For Beginners”