No Hypnagogia?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
VeloJello

No Hypnagogia?

Postby VeloJello » 29 Apr 2017 20:30

Hello all! I'm still a serious lucid dreaming novice, so I have a bit of a question: what does it mean when I don't experience hypnagogia? I'm not aphantasic (I can picture things very clearly in my mind), but I've never had the sensations that are, in Rebecca's article, part of the hypnagogic state. I do not experience auditory hallucinations, and I do not see vivid, bright shapes or patterns as I am falling asleep. I do occasionally get a floating feeling, but other than this, I really don't understand hypnagogia. Is not seeing clear, vivid shapes and the like normal? Or am I just falling asleep before the hypnagogic state hits me? Thank you for reading.

DreamerMan99

Re: No Hypnagogia?

Postby DreamerMan99 » 30 Apr 2017 14:36

How long are you laying in bed before you give up? Also, are you obsessing over these possible feelings? Often, those looking for something obsess so strongly over the idea of the feeling, that they are unable to relax their mind and body enough for the effects to come on. Hypnagogic sensations won't come until you reach the cusp of both mind and body falling asleep. It may help you to begin meditation techniques during waking hours to better practice your relaxation skills. Also, do you take any psychoactive compounds past noon during your day? Cannabis, coffee, black tea, benadryl, etc. These can all have an impact on your ability to reach a lucid dream state or even hypnagogia.
Good luck,
Dream on.

VeloJello

Postby VeloJello » 30 Apr 2017 18:25

DreamerMan99 wrote:How long are you laying in bed before you give up? Also, are you obsessing over these possible feelings? Often, those looking for something obsess so strongly over the idea of the feeling, that they are unable to relax their mind and body enough for the effects to come on. Hypnagogic sensations won't come until you reach the cusp of both mind and body falling asleep. It may help you to begin meditation techniques during waking hours to better practice your relaxation skills. Also, do you take any psychoactive compounds past noon during your day? Cannabis, coffee, black tea, benadryl, etc. These can all have an impact on your ability to reach a lucid dream state or even hypnagogia.

I'm not the best judge of time without a clock - maybe half an hour at the maximum? And I may be obsessing a little. I'll have to try to get better about meditation so that I can get my head clear of those feelings. And I don't generally take those substances after noon - I'm not a caffeine person and I try to avoid taking medicines when I don't need to. I do take fluoxetine, which is psychoaffective (SSRI), and I've heard that those can undermine REM sleep, but I take that pre-noon and I know that it doesn't prevent me from having vivid dreams at the very least.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely try practicing relaxation to see if that has any impact.

Price

Postby Price » 11 May 2017 02:30

Hello,

Too thoughts. hypnagogia is not for everyone. Sometime people transition into sleep so fast that you just don't catch it. So don't worry about it. You can still lucid dream. I often categorize people into light sleepers and heavy sleepers. Light sleepers experience hypnagogia more and their job is often to try and get themselves to fall asleep if that are doing a Wake-Back-To-Bed approach.

Heavy sleepers often fall asleep immediately and when they do a WBTB approach they are constantly trying to not fall asleep.

That being said. Here is my trick to try and experience hypnagogia,

1. Focus on the small things as you are going to bed. Hypnagogia wont come as a big voice or visual hallucination, think of it as a small weak sound. Try hard to hear that faint whisper. Do that for a while as see if something grows from quiet to loud.

2. As you go to sleep imagine a moving image in your mind. For example I often pretend I am skiing down a mountain, or I am hang gliding off of a coast line. As you fall asleep your imagination will become more and more vivid. Try this technique with a song you like. In your mind listen to a song that you like. See if you can actually hear someone singing it, and the music playing. As you drift off to sleep the song will come to life and keep playing. It is pretty cool.

These techniques are not quiet hypnagogia, but I believe they will start to get your mind to a place where you will start to experience this.

Oh and just thought of another technique. Go into a closet, or a space that is absolutely dark and put in ear plugs. Get as comfortable as you can and start to watch the blackness. Start to listen to the silence. If you spend an hour doing that in complete darkness. I pretty much guarantee hallucinations.

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 13 May 2017 17:08

coming out of the closet is the price.

Return to “For Beginners”