Is this hypnagogia?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
chilicat

Is this hypnagogia?

Postby chilicat » 05 Jun 2017 21:23

I think I got close to hypnagogia last night. I was trying to go to sleep and relax, then I felt a weird floaty feeling. I didn't see vivid shapes or anything, but I did see something. Every time I breathed, there was a visual that's like when you put food coloring in water or creamer in coffee. I didn't see any colors, it was just darker than the "background" I was seeing. Then I just snapped out of it. I didn't fall asleep, I just went back to normal. Also, can doing this cause sleep paralysis? I'm kinda scared. And if I get sleep paralysis, how do I deal with it? I've never had sleep paralysis.

24/7/365

Re: Is this hypnagogia?

Postby 24/7/365 » 20 Jul 2017 00:09

Yes, if the imagery would had continued to developed, you would entered into a dream; thusly, sleep paralysis would have followed suit.
Body paralysis as a result from the hypnagogia state is not common. So, I would not worry to much about that possibly.
If you every experience Body paralysis while you are awake and aware that you are awake; just relax and surrender, you will recover and regain motor control.

Bod

Re: Is this hypnagogia?

Postby Bod » 22 Jul 2017 12:25

Hypnagogia can cover the whole gamut of the senses, including auditory, tactile, kinesthesia, etc. athough visual is the most commonly reported.

With sleep paralysis I think if you feed the mind (incubate) "scary stuff" beforehand or expect the worst then I would say this creates a negative expectation. For example you only have to read some of the reports on Reddit, etc. and all the other scare stories and memes online. This creates a fear factor before you even start. Nearly, if not all of my lucid dreams are DILDs. I never get sleep paralysis in those.
"There are things known and there are things unknown and in between are the Doors." (Unsourced: Jim Morrison - Wikiquote)

Return to “For Beginners”