Can someone help me understand what is happening to me?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Median

Can someone help me understand what is happening to me?

Postby Median » 20 Jun 2017 13:51

Hello everyone. I'm writing a post in this forum because id like to understand more of what is happening to me.

A lot of times I have dreams in which I gain awereness that I am dreaming. Even though Im aware that its a dream, I have close to no control of what I do in my dreams, the people present or where I am. I just am aware that I'm in a dream and thats it, everything else is out of my control. This awareness is not constant, it comes and goes in the dream. Sometimes I start thinking in the dream "Oh, this must be a dream, good.. It means that I'm getting some sleep", but eventually I lose this awareness and the dream keeps playing itself as a movie.

Most of these dreams are harmless, but sometimes I get very vivid nightmares, in which I am aware that I'm in a nightmare but can't stop being terrified of everything Im seeing. Normally its just terror stuff like kids with dead faces or some kind of monsters. These things do not scare me in movies, but they are so real in the dreams that I can't help to be terrified.
Sometimes, I find myself in my bed and weird stuff start appearing next to me, sitting besides my bed. I keep "waking up" in the dream, only to find myself in my bed again but still dreaming. These dreams take a long time to pass, it seems an eternity, and a lot of the dream is just me "watching myself" while I sleep.

Eventually I become aware that I am in a nightmare and I try to force myself wake up but it takes a long time, and I can feel in reality that I am pressing my teeth and I start feeling pain in my dream (probably because I'm feeling pain in reality). Other thing is the music., these dreams come with incredible sophisticated music that I can't understand how I am making that up in my mind.

When I wake up normally I am so frightened that I avoid falling asleep again, and it takes a while until I am sure I am no longer dreaming, since everything feels so real that it becomes really hard to tell the difference.

I'm not interested in lucid dreaming, it actually scares me a lot, the idea of being trapped in these nightmares is making it harder and harder for me to sleep, and I just want to make sure this stops happening. Is there anything I can do? I'm sorry if this is not the right place to query about this, but I would really appreciate some help on this, it is hard to find answers.

Median

Re: Can someone help me understand what is happening to me?

Postby Median » 20 Jun 2017 14:08

Just want to add that the vivid nightmares happen more when I'm really tired but having trouble to fall asleep (due to jet lag, stress, etc). A lot of time I am sleeping already but think I am awake because the dream is just me in my bed trying to sleep (until weird stuff starts happening)

goldenrose

Postby goldenrose » 27 Jun 2017 01:43

This is an interesting situation. From my understanding, you become lucid in a dream, but you have no control over the environment, just as in the waking world. Which is, obviously, horrible when you are in a nightmare, as you can't make the monster or other terror go away. It also sounds like you're having false awakenings, or something of the sort. With the sophisticated music...your dreams may actually be trying to tell you something. I know lucid dreaming terrifies you, but while you're aware, why not try to look deeper? There may be a deeper reason as to why you're becoming lucid randomly. Or maybe not. If it makes you too uncomfortable, then that's fine, don't bother with it.

Where you say this occurs during stress and when you're fatigued, relaxation may be key. Restless sleeping, in my experience, often causes bad lucid experiences. Having some relaxing music playing as you try to fall asleep may help, or maybe try a natural sleep-aid like melatonin. Closing and opening your eyes repeatedly in a nightmare may eventually open your waking self's eyes, if you want to wake up. Other than relaxation and a balance of mind, there's not much else to do.

Hopefully, in time, this issue will go away for you and you will be able to sleep soundly once more.
Darkness is always held up by the light.

Median

Postby Median » 27 Jun 2017 15:40

Hey! Thanks for your answer.

Fortunately, lately this has been stopping. Since I can't avoid "going lucid" quite frequently (every other week or so), I really tried to make something about it in the actual dream.
Two nights ago I was having a normal nightmare (not a lucid one), where I was losing my teeth. Since this happens a lot on my nightmares, it triggered me and I became lucid as I have never been before.

I was picking up some of my teeth from the floor "Teeth? Again? Come on, this is obviously a dream", and even thought "Good, this means I am at home in bed" Somehow I became relaxed and started levitating to further prove to myself that I was in a dream. Then I tried to go through the wall to go fly outside, but for some reason I couldn't. Then I tried to go through a glass window and it worked.

I was happily flying over a very detailed landspace and thought "I'd like to try and be in the middle of a combat war or something", and tried to change the scene to a war scene, but absolutely nothing happened. I was happy flying anyway.

The only thing that I don't understand, is understand if I am actually lucid dreaming, or I am dreaming that I am lucid dreaming.. can this question be answered with full certainty? It really felt as if I was acting on my own will, and even remembered where i was IRL.

This lucid dreaming thing is quite fun, I wonder what kind of useful can be done with it. Can I, like, replay conversations or even try to memorize stuff to use IRL?

goldenrose

Postby goldenrose » 28 Jun 2017 01:37

Wow, that's amazing! I'm glad things are going better for you.

From what you say, then yes, you most certainly had a lucid dream. Since the literal definition of "lucid dreaming" is to be aware that you are dreaming while in the act of it, you're lucid dreaming, without a doubt. As said before, the control comes with practice. Flying is a great way to start trying things out. It will take more practice to do bigger things such as changing the dream scene.

As far as what you can do, I reckon the possibilities are endless. I find new things to do almost every time I lucid dream. Just try and have fun with it. :D
Darkness is always held up by the light.

Return to “For Beginners”