Questions about lucid dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
jamiesmile321

Questions about lucid dreaming

Postby jamiesmile321 » 26 Sep 2017 02:34

So..I had a few questions about how to lucid dream. It sounds like such a cool experience. I can't really use wake induced lucid dreaming because of my sleep schedule with school, but I have tried to use MILD a few times. It has never worked, mainly because I'm not tired enough, so in the long time it takes me to fall asleep I lose focus. I also have never had a lucid dream, so I can't really do the whole visualizing thing. I really want to be able to do this, and I would be grateful if anyone could help.

Sean Jacobs

Re: Questions about lucid dreaming

Postby Sean Jacobs » 26 Sep 2017 12:30

Hi jamiesmile321.

Lucid dreaming isn't easy for most people, myself included. WILD never worked for me because I have issues falling asleep.

The way that works best for me is simple yet requires a considerable amount of work. It consists of keeping a dream journal, reviewing the dream journal before going to sleep, and setting my resolve to have a lucid dream when I go to sleep (or back to sleep).

So, before I go to sleep I state to myself "I will wake up after each dream and remember that dream." This typically takes a few days to start working. When I wake up from a dream I jot down a few notes to help me remember the dream, get comfortable, tell myself (in my head) that I will lucid dream, and then doze off. I repeat these steps each time I wake up from a dream until my last dream of the night. In the morning I review my notes and write down as much detail about my dreams as I can remember. Once I've collected some dreams, I read them before I go to bed and repeat the process above. So what this processes does is: 1. it makes you very familiar with the "feel" of your dream world which allows you to recognize when you are dreaming; 2. It causes you to use the WBTB (wake back to bed) technique which raises mental awareness as you fall back to sleep and begin dreaming again.

The issues I always have with this technique is how much time it takes to track all my dreams and the sleep disruption.

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

jamiesmile321

Postby jamiesmile321 » 26 Sep 2017 22:42

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. But I'd like to know if I have to say it once, because I don't know if I will remember that I have said that. If you say it once every night, will it eventually work?

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 27 Sep 2017 12:17

jamiesmile321 wrote:Ok, that sounds like a good idea. But I'd like to know if I have to say it once, because I don't know if I will remember that I have said that. If you say it once every night, will it eventually work?

I would recommend repeating it several time and focusing on your intent, like demanding it will work...really put some emotion into it....really mean it.

jamiesmile321

Postby jamiesmile321 » 27 Sep 2017 17:02

Ok, so just say it like it's what I want? A lot of people say you have to believe it will really happen, but since I haven't had the experience, I don't know how to imagine it, but I can make it clear that it's what I want when I say it in my head. But so I have to say until I go to bed? Is it all right if I say it several times when I first lie down, because I usually lose focus after I've said it several times

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 28 Sep 2017 12:29

jamiesmile321 wrote:Ok, so just say it like it's what I want? A lot of people say you have to believe it will really happen, but since I haven't had the experience, I don't know how to imagine it, but I can make it clear that it's what I want when I say it in my head. But so I have to say until I go to bed? Is it all right if I say it several times when I first lie down, because I usually lose focus after I've said it several times

I usually say it with the expectation that it will happen, like I'm demanding that my mind make it happen. When you are ready to go to sleep, shut of the light, get comfortable, and then say it a few time. That should be fine.

jamiesmile321

Postby jamiesmile321 » 30 Sep 2017 17:37

I tried it the first night, and nothing happened. The second night, I was really tired and crashed early. Do I have to start the cycle over again?
Also, do I say it in my head or out loud? I've been trying both. The main issue I think I have is that after I say it a few times, I doze off forgetting that I've said it. Does it have to really stick in my mind? I want this to happen more than anything in the world, so I'll do anything, just tell me if I'm doing this wrong.

Return to “For Beginners”