First Lucid Dream And Questions That Have Come Up

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Notoriou

First Lucid Dream And Questions That Have Come Up

Postby Notoriou » 04 Aug 2012 23:05

I must state up front that I have had a horrible dream memory for a while now. It might also be important to note that I normally listen to music as I fall asleep and only remember really weird dreams.

Sorry for the wall of text, but i figure that to answer some of my questions you would need an accurate and detailed retelling.

Okay, so a few days ago i stumbled into this website and became fascinated with lucid dreaming. So, that night I attempted to relax and just let things happen. And I woke up the next morning without any memories of dreaming at all.

So the next day I had all the stuff i read about on my mind all day and so in the evening i decided that I would try a dream journal, so I set my alarm to 4.5 hours in, did a little self meditation to make sure that I would at least remember fragments of my dreams, and went to bed(without music). The alarm went off and I woke up grabbed the notebook, uncapped my pen, and... nothing. Feeling a little discouraged, i went back to bed and woke up a few hours later feeling like i didn't get much sleep, but decided to get up anyway, i spent an hour half awake during which time i got in a pool and didn't eat or drink anything. I then got back from the pool and decided that I would take a short nap, so I put in my headphones and fell asleep.

So I remember being in a lot of morphed together scenery from various familiar places. I knew that it was Saturday in the dream(and it was in real life as well) and I was at school, but the scenery kept randomly changing(but i don't remember any of the actual transitions), so eventually I find my self(non-lucid) and walking home in the dream, which is strange because I live in the hill country, so I look at my digital watch and notice it's 1:50(my school gets out at 3:45), (I don't keep any devices that tell time with me in real life) so I thought it was strange that I was walking home from school on a Saturday and it was 1:50 this is when I realize that I am dreaming and become either lucid or semi-lucid(after the realization, I have a feeling similar to pins and needles all over my body). I then continue to walk up the hill and come out at the end of a path that is at my great grandmother's house(I live in Texas and she lives it Tennessee) remembering that I am dreaming, I decide to try and fly, I tend to be logical in real life so I figured i should use babysteps, so I start running, and to my surprise, when i think to myself"I will run faster"; I actually slow down. It feels like the air around me is getting thicker and I have more air resistance than usual, so I decide to try thinking differently so I think "I will run slower" and as I expected, I felt lighter and the air resistance decreased. After getting to a more open area of the yard(the property she owns is a farm) I decide to try jumping and so I jump and I go the same height as usual, so I applied the same logic to this as I did running and think "I will jump less high" and as I predicted, I was soon taking 20 or 30 foot high bounds as i jog along.

When I am in mid jump at on point, I almost hit power lines and of course fear takes over so I immediately force myself downward and hit the ground. At this point I decide to try to increase my lucidity seeing as how this is my first time I try to spin around (I think I got the wrong idea, because I closed my eyes and spun relatively quickly) and when I finish spinning I still have my eyes closed but am dizzy so I reach out for the wooden telephone pole that I almost hit a few minutes ago and when my hand hits it I hear a metal sound which I found strange also. At this point I try to open my "dream eyes" and end up opening my real ones ending my first experience.

On the the questions:

1. Was this really a lucid dream? I know this is a stupid question but something just felt off.

2. Is the pins and needles feeling I described normal?

3. Why was the thought physics in my dream reversed? I know that it had to do with me, but has this happened to anyone and any tips for fixing it?

4. I am a very curious person by nature, is my questioning everything similar to some form of a reality check?

5. While awake I have a quite good memory and after I woke up from this dream, I had a perfect recall of it, is the fact that I remembered this dream so well due to the fact that while awake I remember things well and being lucid is similar to being awake?

Ryan

Re: First Lucid Dream And Questions That Have Come Up

Postby Ryan » 05 Aug 2012 01:21

Notoriou wrote:1. Was this really a lucid dream? I know this is a stupid question but something just felt off.

If you realized you were dreaming WHILE you were dreaming, then yes, it's a lucid dream. :)

2. Is the pins and needles feeling I described normal?

Everything is "normal". There's nothing you can experience while doing this that could be called not normal. There are just things people haven't consciously experienced.

3. Why was the thought physics in my dream reversed? I know that it had to do with me, but has this happened to anyone and any tips for fixing it?

It's normal.

4. I am a very curious person by nature, is my questioning everything similar to some form of a reality check?

It sure is. :)

5. While awake I have a quite good memory and after I woke up from this dream, I had a perfect recall of it, is the fact that I remembered this dream so well due to the fact that while awake I remember things well and being lucid is similar to being awake?

That's probably part of it, yeah.

I'm more inclined to believe you had an astral awareness while projecting (aka an astral projection), instead of a lucid awareness. With an astral awareness more of *you* is there. You know who you are, what you are, with all your usual physical memories in place. Having an astral awareness also makes it much easier to remember the experience, especially if you already have a keen memory in the physical.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Notoriou

Re: First Lucid Dream And Questions That Have Come Up

Postby Notoriou » 05 Aug 2012 03:44

Thanks for taking the time to read that long post and reply, it has cleared up a bunch of things for me.

I do have one remaining question I thought of later, assuming that the conditions were right in the dream for me to realize that I was dreaming, and I just got lucky, do you have any suggestions to help repeat this and turn it into something that is a little more, for lack of a better word, reliable?
At the moment it just feels like that was a happy accident.

Return to “For Beginners”