Is this the hypnogagic state?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
BioProton

Is this the hypnogagic state?

Postby BioProton » 16 Aug 2012 20:00

Last night I tried to explore the hypnogagic state, so that it may eventually help me with WILD. But I'm not sure if what I experienced was in fact hypnagogia. I laid in bed and relaxed myself, and after about 15 minutes I started feeling slight numbness in my hands. I kept focusing on letting my body fall asleep and keeping my mind awake, and eventually I lost some awareness of my body, but I could still feel the bed. Then it almost felt like I was spinning, and at one point it felt as if I had sunken a few inches into the bed. I tried to let the feelings grow, but nothing happened. I kept focusing on relaxing my body but sleep paralysis didn't kick in, and I didn't experience any hypnogagic images, sounds, etc. It seemed like I was trying forever, with no results. After a while, I brought myself out of it, rolled over, and went to sleep.

So was I "on the way" to conscious hypnagogia? I wasn't really sure what to expect, as this was my first time trying to enter the mind awake/body asleep state.

Peter

Re: Is this the hypnogagic state?

Postby Peter » 17 Aug 2012 00:15

Forget about all the did I do this and did I do that as deal whit what was going on at the time. If you think there is a liner process you will have a hard time relaxing. When you body is at the stage of sinking or spinning put your awareness into those feelings and they might get more intense. Dont concentrate on your body as that job is done.

I had a long Lucid last night and was relaxing and then in an instant I was in the dream. No HI, no SP, No nothing - just relaxing and then I was there. So whatever works is correct and only for that night as well
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

BioProton

Postby BioProton » 17 Aug 2012 04:10

Thanks, I see what you're saying. But what I don't understand is, I was trying to focus my awareness into the spinning/sinking feelings. Or at least I thought I was. Anyway, I'll try again tonight and see what happens.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Aug 2012 05:16

Just keep at it, it may take a few goes but once you get success you will find it easier from then on as you will have a feel for it
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”