Can you dream you're having a lucid dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Tarpaulin

Can you dream you're having a lucid dream?

Postby Tarpaulin » 26 Aug 2012 21:39

Hi All. I'm totally new to this. I have been keeping a pretty detailed diary every day for the last 18 months. the motivation for that was only partly that I might at some point try to develop lucid dreaming abilities. At any rate about 10 days ago I had a lucid dream "by accident", meaning I hadn't started to work on that yet.

The thing is that since having it I've had this nagging little question in the back of my mind that maybe it wasn't a lucid dream but just a dream that I was having a lucid dream. So my questions are:

1) Can you dream your having a lucid dream?
2) If so how can you tell the difference between a real lucid dream and the dream of a lucid dream, both during the dream and afterwards?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Lavendula

Re: Can you dream you're having a lucid dream?

Postby Lavendula » 26 Aug 2012 21:43

Yes you can dream aboutnhavingna lucid dream.
I don't know the difference

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
If you fall for your reflection you will drown in a dream

Mr.Lucid

Postby Mr.Lucid » 27 Aug 2012 00:12

Yes, you can dream about having a lucid dream.
For example, two nights ago, I dreamed I became lucid in a dream (I really didn't become Lucid, I dreamed I became Lucid.)
I dreamed I could fly, and then the dream about flying turned into me playing a Lucid Dream internet game. It was really weird to transition into a dream inside a dream, but it is 100% possible. And it makes u super frustrated when u try to have a REAL lucid dream. :evil:

Tarpaulin

Postby Tarpaulin » 27 Aug 2012 01:13

How were you able to know it was a dream about being lucid rather than a real lucid dream? I need to figure out if my dream was a real lucid dream or just a dream about being lucid in a dream. I can recount the dream if that helps.

Dreamer3456

Postby Dreamer3456 » 27 Aug 2012 03:37

Mr.Lucid wrote:I dreamed I could fly, and then the dream about flying turned into me playing a Lucid Dream internet game. :evil:

The same thing happened to me. I dreamed about playing a lucid internet game.

Mr.Lucid

Postby Mr.Lucid » 27 Aug 2012 14:06

Tarpaulin wrote:How were you able to know it was a dream about being lucid rather than a real lucid dream? I need to figure out if my dream was a real lucid dream or just a dream about being lucid in a dream. I can recount the dream if that helps.

I knew it wasn't a Lucid Dream for three reasons.
1) I wasn't aware during the dream.
2) I couldn't control anything, and I saw the dream in third-person view.
3) I knew I wasn't Lucid because my 'lucid dream' became an internet game, then I woke up.
Hope that helps. If you couldn't taste, feel, or smell, it likely isn't a lucid dream. :)

Tarpaulin

Postby Tarpaulin » 27 Aug 2012 15:13

Opinions welcomed on this then.

I was in a huge office/warehouse talking to somebody who apparently brokered moving companies (helped you choose the right moving company for your needs). It had come down to a choice of two companies. I decided to go for one of the two because it was the one I had used in real life. I told the broker I'd go with that one as I knew he was good having used him before. He agreed they were good and the at the other company wasn't really any less expensive anyway. Then I suddenly realized that I'd already done this - that I'd already made the move we were discussing. So I thought......if that's the case then this is a dream. I thought "if this is a dream then I can fly". I immediately tried to do so and went flying effortlessly up towards the ceiling. At that point I tipped my hat to the people in the warehouse and told them I was leaving. They didn't seem especially surprised.

I decided I wanted to go and explore a city I'd visited in several previous dreams and went soaring out of the door and up into the sky. The flying was effortless, whereas in regular dreams it had always been quite hard work. I was immediately flying over a beautiful city. It didn't really resemble the ones from my previous dreams. It was way more beautiful and had a kind of luminosity to it. There were grand avenues full of attractive shops. They were pedestrian - I saw no cars. The people walking in them all looked attractive - were well dressed and appeared happy. I decided I'd like to meet some appealing women and swept down into one of the avenues where I immediately came into contact with 3 women each dressed in a different solid color dress. We spent some time gently stroking and caressing each other and then I was off flying again.

As I flew I think I started to lose lucidity and as that happened the effort to fly became harder. Also the city began to change and become dirty and run down. The people no longer looked well off but poor and were badly dressed.

The I woke up.

I don't remember hearing or smelling anything. I'm not sure if I had any real experience of touch. But then again I don't remember whether I did - I may have and forgotten.

Opinions - a real lucid dream or just a dream that I was having a lucid dream?

Mr.Lucid

Postby Mr.Lucid » 27 Aug 2012 22:56

That dream seems to be a lucid one. The detail is just waaaaaay to vivid to be a normal dream (I know normal dreams can be vivid, but not this much!) So in my opinion, I believe you might have had a semi-Lucid dream, which would explain why you could hear, smell or touch. :mrgreen:

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 27 Aug 2012 23:57

Sounds like a lucid dream to me as long as you were aware you were dreaming, whilst the dream was happening. It doesn't matter if you had control or your senses were working. Btw congratulations on being able to fly so easily :)
Dreaming is my drug

Tarpaulin

Postby Tarpaulin » 28 Aug 2012 01:06

Thanks Mr. Lucid. I'm excited and working hard now to reproduce the experience.

Return to “For Beginners”