Few questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
NoahM

Few questions

Postby NoahM » 11 Sep 2012 18:02

So first off, I'm extremely intrigued by the idea, and want to get started - but I have a few questions that really concern me as far as the normality of life when you're a lucid dreamer.

So, question #1: I read on this website in an article that you will start to habitually perform reality checks and what not in dreams. If this is the case, can you not control when you would have just a normal night's sleep? Would you soon begin to question reality EVERY night in EVERY dream?

question #2: Is it truly rejuvenating sleep, like good-old shuteye really is? I've read about how your brain is MORE active in a lucid dream than you are in real life. If that's the case, wouldn't it not really be like sleep for your brain? Sure, your body and it's muscles are getting the rest, but if you're brain power is off the charts trying to visualize and live this crazy dream that you are controlling, it doesn't sound like it's much rest for your mind.

Please, share your thoughts, concerns, and ideas, lucid dreamers.

lucidinthe sky

Re: Few questions

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Sep 2012 20:20

1. Not sure what you mean by "control". You are always controlling everything in a dream, the difference is whether you aware of it and whether your making choices in real time during the dream, that's lucidity. All dreams are "planned" but the lucid part is where you actually are aware and making decisions about what you are going to do during the dream. You would be really lucky if you could question reality every night and every dream. Dreams are so incredibly real that why it's hard to question their reality. You don't realize how real they are after you wake up because you don't have the same kind memory you do when you are lucid.

2.The deepest part of your sleep occurs during the first 4-5 hours when you are doing problem solving and lots of other important things your brain needs. It's unlikely to have lucid dreams then anyway, but even still, it's equally restful when you wake up after having a lucid dream. In fact you feel so energized after having them it's amazing.

To me, a lot of people make too big a deal about controlling dreams as if that's all the experience there is. It's so much more than that. Just being there is so fantastic, walking around touching a 3D solid world just like the waking world. It is really like exploring an alien planet. In a good lucid dream there really no difference between the dream world and your normal waking world.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

NoahM

Postby NoahM » 11 Sep 2012 23:21

lucidinthe sky wrote:1. Not sure what you mean by "control". You are always controlling everything in a dream, the difference is whether you aware of it and whether your making choices in real time during the dream, that's lucidity. All dreams are "planned" but the lucid part is where you actually are aware and making decisions about what you are going to do during the dream. You would be really lucky if you could question reality every night and every dream. Dreams are so incredibly real that why it's hard to question their reality. You don't realize how real they are after you wake up because you don't have the same kind memory you do when you are lucid.

2.The deepest part of your sleep occurs during the first 4-5 hours when you are doing problem solving and lots of other important things your brain needs. It's unlikely to have lucid dreams then anyway, but even still, it's equally restful when you wake up after having a lucid dream. In fact you feel so energized after having them it's amazing.

To me, a lot of people make too big a deal about controlling dreams as if that's all the experience there is. It's so much more than that. Just being there is so fantastic, walking around touching a 3D solid world just like the waking world. It is really like exploring an alien planet. In a good lucid dream there really no difference between the dream world and your normal waking world.

Hi, thanks for your reply. What I meant was, can you control whether or not you go into a lucid dream? Because like I said, I read that you will begin to habitually perform reality checks in dreams, so to me, that almost sounds like you'd be doing that subconsciously(you know what I mean), without controlling whether or not you question if you're in a dream or real life.

Oh, and the reason I got interested in all of this was because a couple of months ago I came across it on the internet(sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, etc.), and last night I had my first ever sleep paralysis experience. I was dreaming like normal, and then all of the sudden, I was woken, or so I thought, by the sound of footsteps stomping toward me from outside my bedroom in the hallway. I tried to get up in bed, but I couldn't, but I ended up having the sensation of something pulling me by my feet off of my bed, and as I was being swept away everything went kind of distorted like a picture taken of an action shot that was out of focus. Then I remembered the tactics I had read to get yourself out of a sleep paralysis, and I tried all that I could think of, like wiggling a toe, and scrunching up my nose, and I woke up - surprisingly calmly. My heart was beating a bit, but it wasn't "run to your momma" frightening like I had heard it is. But the oddest part was that I grabbed my phone and looked at the time, and it was only about 20-30 minutes after I had gone to bed. Nevertheless, I went on with a normal night of sleep, without any further episodes of sleep paralysis. But with my little knowledge of sleep paralysis, I do know that it is a form of lucid dreaming, or atleast that you can go into lucid dreaming through it. So is it odd that I had this episode so early in my sleep?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Sep 2012 00:53

NoahM wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply. What I meant was, can you control whether or not you go into a lucid dream?

Yes, but only once did I decide not to and I forgot why. Usually I end up going lucid because for me it's kind of like trying to put the genie back into the bottle. Once you know, it's hard to go back to being ignorant.

NoahM wrote:But with my little knowledge of sleep paralysis, I do know that it is a form of lucid dreaming, or at least that you can go into lucid dreaming through it. So is it odd that I had this episode so early in my sleep?

I don't think it's odd to experience early in your sleep, a lot of people report experiencing it during WILD attempts. But sleep paralysis is not a form of lucid dreaming, has nothing to do it with other than the fact they both occur during REM sleep. It is also not required to go through before lucid dreaming, I have had quite a few lucid dreams but went through SP in none of them.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”