You will get there if you keep going

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Oneirophile

You will get there if you keep going

Postby Oneirophile » 12 Sep 2012 10:06

And you won't if you don't.

Hello everybody, although this post is really only for people having trouble getting lucid.

Lucid dreaming, unless you're very talented, requires a bit of practice and dedication. This site is full of great techniques and tips but I want to make a more general point here.

If you go to the gym, you soon see the results of your sessions (and so do other people). The effort pays off quite quickly and you are in control of the process – you can go to the gym more often or less often, and you'll get equivalent results. Learning to lucid dreaming is not like that. The analogy I use is: imagine if you throw stones into a small lake. They disappear and after the ripples have gone there's no evidence that anything has changed. But one day you throw a few stones and they sit on top of the water, because the others have accumulated below the surface. That's how it is with lucid dreaming. You will for a time be doing reality checks while awake but having no LDs. You might therefore think it's all pointless (see an exchange I had on another thread, copied below). But all the time, your efforts are accumulating where you can't see. And one day your "stone" – a reality check, an attempt at WBTB, whatever – will sit on top of that lake and you'll be lucid. Keep going. Keep throwing the stones, they're mounting up where you can't see. I won't say "good luck" - you don't need it, you need a bit of desire and a bit of perseverance. Have fun!

Here's the OP:
"My problem with reality checks is that i feel retarded just randomly saying AM IN A DREAM... i feel like it makes no sense to check for no reason as i know that i am 100% awake"

(my reply:) It's funny you should say that because I sometimes feel the same. Last week is a good example. I noticed something strange in what I was reading and thought, "Oh well, I suppose I have to do a reality check now even though I know that I am awake because I am here reading."

So I did my usual check of looking at my hand and counting my fingers. I looked at my hand and it had small lights around each of the fingers. "I must have put my hand in some glitter in a store," I thought.

Then I thought, "Maybe I should count my fingers, just to be sure." I counted them and there were seven, all outlined in glitter. And that's how I knew I was dreaming. I was lucid from that moment on. BUT if I hadn't done the reality check (counting my fingers etc) because I was so sure that I was awake (even though I wasn't) then I would never have triggered the lucidity. So always always always - no matter how awake you think you are - do your reality checks, especially if anything slightly (or very) odd happens.

NAIAD

Re: You will get there if you keep going

Postby NAIAD » 12 Sep 2012 20:06

Oneirophile wrote:And you won't if you don't.

Hello everybody, although this post is really only for people having trouble getting lucid.

Lucid dreaming, unless you're very talented, requires a bit of practice and dedication. This site is full of great techniques and tips but I want to make a more general point here.

If you go to the gym, you soon see the results of your sessions (and so do other people). The effort pays off quite quickly and you are in control of the process – you can go to the gym more often or less often, and you'll get equivalent results. Learning to lucid dreaming is not like that. The analogy I use is: imagine if you throw stones into a small lake. They disappear and after the ripples have gone there's no evidence that anything has changed. But one day you throw a few stones and they sit on top of the water, because the others have accumulated below the surface. That's how it is with lucid dreaming. You will for a time be doing reality checks while awake but having no LDs. You might therefore think it's all pointless (see an exchange I had on another thread, copied below). But all the time, your efforts are accumulating where you can't see. And one day your "stone" – a reality check, an attempt at WBTB, whatever – will sit on top of that lake and you'll be lucid. Keep going. Keep throwing the stones, they're mounting up where you can't see. I won't say "good luck" - you don't need it, you need a bit of desire and a bit of perseverance. Have fun!

Here's the OP:
"My problem with reality checks is that i feel retarded just randomly saying AM IN A DREAM... i feel like it makes no sense to check for no reason as i know that i am 100% awake"

(my reply:) It's funny you should say that because I sometimes feel the same. Last week is a good example. I noticed something strange in what I was reading and thought, "Oh well, I suppose I have to do a reality check now even though I know that I am awake because I am here reading."

So I did my usual check of looking at my hand and counting my fingers. I looked at my hand and it had small lights around each of the fingers. "I must have put my hand in some glitter in a store," I thought.

Then I thought, "Maybe I should count my fingers, just to be sure." I counted them and there were seven, all outlined in glitter. And that's how I knew I was dreaming. I was lucid from that moment on. BUT if I hadn't done the reality check (counting my fingers etc) because I was so sure that I was awake (even though I wasn't) then I would never have triggered the lucidity. So always always always - no matter how awake you think you are - do your reality checks, especially if anything slightly (or very) odd happens.

Thanks, that was a good post and a neat analogy!

Return to “For Beginners”