Sleep Cycle Question

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Psychosanity

Sleep Cycle Question

Postby Psychosanity » 13 Oct 2012 15:29

I am curious about something. I am aware of the REM rebound effect, where a lack of REM sleep leads to more REM sleep later, to make up for lost time. The question I have regards the opposite concept.

If one sleeps a whole lot one day, will he or she eventually get to a point where they've had 'enough' REM sleep, and so will then just remain in dreamless sleep until a long period of wakefulness 'resets' their cycles?

The reason for the question is that yesterday I slept late, and took 2 long naps during the day. Recalled dreams throughout all these periods. Was excited to try Galantamine and Choline for my first time to increase the vividness of dreams, and planned to do so that night. So I went to bed at my normal time, and slept for about 4 hours. Again, I recalled a couple dreams. Got up, took 4mg of Galantamine and 500mg of choline, and went back to bed. For the next 5 hours or so, I slept with absolutely no dreams whatsoever. Not even a fleeting image or emotion. Nothing.

It seems as if the pills actually KILLED my dreams and/or the recall thereof. Since this seems unlikely, given all the rave reviews of these pills I see, the explanation must lie elsewhere...
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Psychosanity

Re: Sleep Cycle Question

Postby Psychosanity » 14 Oct 2012 02:28

I can't find a definitive answer to this anywhere. In case the question is unclear in the OP, I'll rephrase:

Is anyone aware of a "REM maximum?". Once a certain amount of REM sleep has been accumulated, does it stop/taper off? Will all/most further sleep be NREM?

I assume not, since I can find no reference to such a concept anywhere on the interwebz. But I can't find anything that specifically refutes this either.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Return to “For Beginners”