Never had a lucid dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
theturtle

Never had a lucid dream

Postby theturtle » 22 Oct 2012 16:55

So here I am trying to have a lucid dream again. Altered states are frustrating for me. I've been frustrated with hypnosis, meditation, and lucid dreaming and I've never been able to do anything.

When I was around thirteen I put a lot of effort into trying to enter a hypnotic state and I accidently found out I have what I call an autozoophilia even though that is not a word because I can't find an actual word for it. Everytime I tried to enter a hypnotic state I thought I was in it at some point when I wasn't and started trying to give myself suggestions prematurely then I realized I wasn't in a hypnotic state and the self-induced paralysis I attempted wasn't working because I was never hypnotized. I could still move. This wasn't meant to be used for lucid dreaming I just thought it would be a cool feeling to experience. I also thought it would be interesting if I could feel like I had the body of a different species and instead of a hypnotic suggestion I got a fantasy. That's how I found out that the idea of myself with an animal's body is sexually arrousing to me and it was the accidental discovery that came from failed attempts at hypnosis.

I've also had difficulty meditating. I can't seem to enter altered states except by accident as it happened once. If it happened more times by accident without my control it would actually be a problem but it happened once in my lifetime. I don't have a chronic psychotic disorder but one time a hallucination came out of nowhere and took over my entire field of vision. Even though I knew it was a hallucination I still couldn't see anything else and I couldn't feel my body so if I was running on the treadmill when it happened I would've gotten hurt as a result but it happened once in my room and never again so I have been fine.

The only time I experienced an altered state was an accident and I've always had trouble with them. Everytime I try nothing happens.

When it comes to lucid dreaming I should have a bit of an edge. I have excellent dream recall even though I didn't when I was a child. I know that it is very common for me to dream about video games so that should be a recognized pattern that I can use. I went to sleep last night with the plan that if I dreampt about video games it would help me recognize it but it didn't. Sure enough, I dreampt about video games but I still didn't recognize it.

It's also common for me to have a dream that is not a false awakening because it is as fuzzy as a normal dream but it still takes place in my house either before or after bed. Sometimes when I wake up I think it actually happened last night until I find evidence to contradict that but the point is that there is a pattern in which a significant portion of my dreams take place in my house or occasionally in my surrounding neighbourhood.

I once had a dream in which I looked in the fridge remembering that we were out of lemonade but mom had bought more so when I opened the fridge in the dream there were two cartons of lemonade.

As soon as I woke up I immediately mistook the dream memory for a real memory that happened last night. I went down stairs expecting to find lemonade in the fridge only to realize that there was none and the whole memory was a dream memory.

Even though I remember my dreams very easily there are times when dream memories mix with real memories. This only happens if the dream is plausible enough that it could have actually happened and that has never happened in a dream that didn't take place in my home.

Another common dream for me is one in which I'm having some kind of psychic experience and that is just wish-fulfillment. It is common enough but when it happens I'm even less likely to question it because it is such a happy dream that I desperately want it to be real so that's what I believe.

In spite of knowing some of my patterns and being able to remember between 1 and 6 dreams per night I have not been able to have a lucid dream.

I have heard that having lucid dreaming on your mind can increase your odds of success but it doesn't help for me. Instead of having one I dream that I am having one.

After a long time spent reading articles on this website I had a dream in which I was attempting a WILD.

Obviously if I am already dreaming a WILD won't work. The fact that in the dream I was even attempting it already implied that I was awake and might have made it even harder to realize I was asleep.

I had more opportunities at one point than I do now. About three years ago when I was 16 I started having sleep paralysis and that could have helped me but I was never able to use it. After a year it turned into hypnopompic hallucinations without paralysis and then I started having hypnagogic hallucinations but it also gradually became less and less frequent and even when it happened it was becoming less and less intense. Eventually it just disappeared altogether. I haven't had hypnopompic or hypnagogic hallucinations in about 5 months and I haven't had sleep paralysis in over a year.

That's an opportunity missed and it was hard to take advantage of because I never knew when I would have sleep paralysis. It always came as a surprise and each subsequent episode would only happen once I stopped thinking about the previous episode and stopped expecting another one. It seemed to wait until I stopped thinking about it and then when I was the least prepared it just happened. That made it difficult to try and take advantage of it.

I have given up before. Each night is disappointing and after a week or two of consecutive failures it becomes hard to keep my morale up. Despair usually sets in and so I take a break but then I come back to it. I don't think too many people would start an eigth business after seven consecutive business failures because they would be too crushed and they probably wouldn't be too confident in their abilities to succeed.

That's pretty much what it's like for me. Too many repeated disappointments can be crushing. I've recouped/regrouped and I'm going to try again but it's difficult.

AngelXdv

Re: Never had a lucid dream

Postby AngelXdv » 31 Oct 2012 18:21

It's also common for me to have a dream that is not a false awakening because it is as fuzzy as a normal dream but it still takes place in my house either before or after bed. Sometimes when I wake up I think it actually happened last night until I find evidence to contradict that but the point is that there is a pattern in which a significant portion of my dreams take place in my house or occasionally in my surrounding neighbourhood.

I once had a dream in which I looked in the fridge remembering that we were out of lemonade but mom had bought more so when I opened the fridge in the dream there were two cartons of lemonade.

As soon as I woke up I immediately mistook the dream memory for a real memory that happened last night. I went down stairs expecting to find lemonade in the fridge only to realize that there was none and the whole memory was a dream memory.

Even though I remember my dreams very easily there are times when dream memories mix with real memories. This only happens if the dream is plausible enough that it could have actually happened and that has never happened in a dream that didn't take place in my home.

THIS! Lets call them semi-false awakenings. Here it is what I suggest: every night before you go to sleep take an hour to inspect your WHOLE house,even under the bed and in the drawer! If your house dreams are so frequent it might be your brain trying to help you this way with lucid dreaming. You want so much to lucid dream that your brain looked for the easiest way to make you lucid. ME? I had the ability to WILD since I was 4 but I didn't know it 'till this summer when I started researching lucid dreaming. Your ability is to dream of your house every night. Think of it as a real ability! Search the whole house then go to sleep. If you dream of something that was not in the house you will probably awake in the dream. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: keep a dream journal. I ignored this step so much and I could have had at least 4 truly lucid dreams,very vivid,if I kept the journal... This is why I tell you to keep a dream journal. Also the hypnagogia thing... It was hard but today was my first time to achieve hypnagogia. When I meditated I followed Rebbeca's steps! And boom! Hypnagogia,at least the beggining of it. I WILDed without hypnagogia from when I know me... REALLY! I would make up stories(I write books so this helps,I like creating)and continue than on the road. And suddenly BOOM! My head is spinning and I hear the same word ever and ever again. When I was young I just didn't know that if I would've kept calm I would've lucid dream. I always wanted to lucid dream,I just didn't know the term. If you ask me how,I don't know where I heard of lucid dreaming... With all the love,try to respect: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/easy-lucid-dreaming.html

If you will,you will lucid dream. Here are my lucid dreams that until yesterday I thought that were normal dreams: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2420

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2476

And another one,trying FILD(Finger Induced Lucid Dream),I dreamed that I could breath with my nose being pinched. Then it was more like a normal morning. I knew in my dream(only in dream)that I was dreaming and all of that. But why was it JUST A DREAM????? WHY? It didn't feel like in waking life. It was like a dream. A non-lucid,normal dream. Could I not be able to lucid dream? Or am I very close to it? On the edge? Please help me,I think I am going insane if it will keep like this! And I even looked in the mirror for a second to see me with a hair very green and cut on half like clowns and some wicked horns like devilish. Also my face had something scary about it,and I told to myself:this is a dream,don't look in the mirrors,you are not ready! Is my mind trying to make me lucid dream because I wish so hard for it? I am 13 and it would be my greatest succes so far! (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1279&start=260

These advices came from a 13 yrs old! Try harder and you will succes!

Return to “For Beginners”