Voices after waking up?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Voices after waking up?

Postby Jacob » 19 Dec 2012 04:44

So, during Thanksgiving week, a bunch of my mom's side of the family came to our house. Since there were so many of us, me and my brother had to sleep in my parent's room, on the floor. Of course, I brought my dream journal with me.

On Friday morning (the day after Thanksgiving), I woke up but did not open my eyes. I figured I would just rest there, since it was that kind of day and I was comfortable. So there I was, when I heard my mom in the room talking to my dad and I think my uncle. My mom said, something like, "I can't wait to eat that pumpkin pie that we got." Then my uncle and dad said something along the lines of, "But you can't eat it, remember?" And then my mom said, "Oh, you're right, I was really looking forward to eating it." Then they stopped talking, and I assumed that they had left the room. After a while, I opened my eyes and saw that my dad was in the bathroom that was connected to the bedroom. I got his attention and asked if he had had a conversation with mom or my uncle about pumpkin pie. He looked at me and said, "It's too early, no one has even gotten out of bed yet." Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to my face. :shock:

I consulted the internet, and I read about hypnagogia just before falling asleep and just after waking up. However, I also remember reading about it somewhere before, perhaps even on this website. Something that I wondered after I had this strange experience is if I had tried to move, would I have been able to (Sleep Paralysis and hallucinations, which would be a first for me). I wasn't even trying to move, so I can't be sure. Also, if I had opened my eyes, would I have seen "them" standing there in the room? Or would I have stopped hearing them and woken up fully?

I think I may have had a similar experience this morning. I was on the verge of waking up, and all I saw was black, same as before. Then I heard a voice say something like this: "Stephen Hawking studied umbrellas. He researched many colors of umbrellas and many shapes of umbrellas." Then I opened my eyes. This time, however, I think I was still dreaming but was just about to wake up.

Wow, this is a long post. Anyway, what do you guys think? Can you confirm if this is hypnagogia or hallucinations of some kind? I don't have brain problems, so I'm talking about the natural kind. Have any similar experiences? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!
"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

lucidinthe sky

Re: Voices after waking up?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Dec 2012 05:12

From my experiences, any sensory input in HI is normal. I've had all of them. I had times where I swore someone was right at my ear saying something. Jerked me right into being fully awake, eyes open. Saying, "What the hell was that?" Another time all of sudden with no warning I heard and saw a door shut behind me, then was completely surrounded by perfect quality super loud music as if I suddenly was in the middle of a concert. Again it startled me right into being fully awake. There is no limit to what can happen, but the sounds are kind of harder to deal with for me. Sometimes it's like travelling through space and the sounds come at you and you hear them "going by". Reminds me of Pink Floyd's song "On the Run" where there is the element of craziness about it. But don't worry, you are not going crazy, just kind of tripping naturally.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Postby torakrubik » 19 Dec 2012 22:43

I have experienced hypnogogia very similar to this too. It's quite alarming how realistic and clear the voices sound, there is pretty much no distinction between the real and hallucinatory sounds.
Dreaming is my drug

Postby Chaosescape » 21 Dec 2012 04:30

Im 99% positive its just a side effect of being in a hypnagogic state. On a few different occasions while attempting to WILD I noticed that after I entered hypnagogia and I started to see clips of my dream coming on I could hear voices talking. I believe its the voices from what or whoever is in my dreams manifesting itself before the dream actually starts. Also similar to your own experience Ive noticed a few times that when Ive just woken up and rolled out of bed (if im REALLY groggy and not really awake yet) I can hear voices and I know they were from the dream I just had. Its like the audio portion of my dream was still rolling even though the visual was gone. As I start to wake up it slowly just fades out. The first few times this happened I thought I was going crazy, but after I figured out what it was I felt pretty relieved. Anyways I hope this helps. :D
~Only those who have dared to let go... can dare to reenter~
-Meister Eckhart

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2012 04:49

It's all normal and I've been there too. I sometimes hear my dogs barking and I think, "Dang! I gotta let them out!" I wake up and there they are sound asleep. It was all in my head. But it sounded as real as real can be. Technically this could be classified as an audible.... dare I say the word.... HALLUCINATION! But it is normal. In society we are taught that hallucinations = crazy, but in reality we hallucinate a lot. I mean, what do you think a dream is in the first place?! And everybody does it.

Jacob wrote:if I had tried to move, would I have been able to (Sleep Paralysis and hallucinations, which would be a first for me).

I don't think so actually. I know when I get this and I truly think that what I am hearing is really happening, I wake up fully. Whenever I have had Sleep Paralysis Hallucinations it is the opposite. I wake up first and think I am awake and in bed and I know it and everything is normal. BUT THEN.... I start to hear or see things and realize I am actually still sleeping! And it doesn't have to be scary, it just happens sometimes, and can lead to a pleasant lucid dream from there if I leave the room. But I suppose if you got use to hearing voices or sounds and just KNOW that it is not real when in that early hour state of mind, I think it could lead to a lucid-false-awakening.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Return to “For Beginners”