itchs, eye strain, and sleep deprived frustration.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
McAlistair

itchs, eye strain, and sleep deprived frustration.

Postby McAlistair » 20 Jan 2013 17:46

Hi ...
So my resolution for 2013 was to teach myself how to LD. Im sure the problems im having are pretty common but finding it hard to get past a few things. any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated :)

Firstly: i have been trying WILD techniques, both when i first go to bed (i just eventually fall asleep), and 4-5 hours in after going to bed by setting an alarm. I can lie perfectly still and stay awake fine usually (have managed about 15-20 mins repeated times), but eventually i always get an itch and have to move, or some kind of pressure on my body starts to bother me so i move and start again. Usually before this point, i manage to get into a bit of a hypnogogic state and get some basic visuals but after a while of this my eyes start to "ache" as if they are focusing too hard.

I have tried listening to hours of isochronic tones while im doing this, i know they are scientifically proven but i honestly feel no different using them, i just can't get to sleep with them on. The end effect is that I end up trying to relax myself into some kind of restful state but just end becoming stressed out cuse i have spent 2 hours "meditating" and trying to visualize stuff to no avail and end up sleep deprived.

I have a sleep diary (not very successful but still), I have been meditating during the day and doing my reality checks (although the more time goes on the harder i find it to sincerely ask myself if "this is reality", as the repetition seems to dilute the emphasis), i have even started taking calea Z the last few nights, it has had no effect either.

Im pretty sure that its as much a case of perseverance and patience as anything else but starting to loose enthusiasm due to lack of any results. Does anyone else experience any of these probs or have any pointers?

lucidinthe sky

Re: itchs, eye strain, and sleep deprived frustration.

Postby lucidinthe sky » 21 Jan 2013 00:39

McAlistair wrote:Hi ...
So my resolution for 2013 was to teach myself how to LD. Im sure the problems im having are pretty common but finding it hard to get past a few things. any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated :)

You should be able to manage that goal, but be patient and prepare for at least 3 months of focused, commited effort. A lot of people get discouraged if they can't master it in a few weeks, but it takes longer than that unless you're lucky. It's so well worth the effort, you can't imagine how awesome it is so keep at it and don't lose hope.

McAlistair wrote:Firstly: i have been trying WILD techniques, both when i first go to bed (i just eventually fall asleep), and 4-5 hours in after going to bed by setting an alarm. I can lie perfectly still and stay awake fine usually (have managed about 15-20 mins repeated times), but eventually i always get an itch and have to move, or some kind of pressure on my body starts to bother me so i move and start again. Usually before this point, i manage to get into a bit of a hypnogogic state and get some basic visuals but after a while of this my eyes start to "ache" as if they are focusing too hard.

That sounds like you are on the right track to me. Once the dream scene forms, tell yourself "I am going into it" and go into it. That's what I do.

McAlistair wrote: I have tried listening to hours of isochronic tones while im doing this, i know they are scientifically proven but i honestly feel no different using them, i just can't get to sleep with them on. The end effect is that I end up trying to relax myself into some kind of restful state but just end becoming stressed out cuse i have spent 2 hours "meditating" and trying to visualize stuff to no avail and end up sleep deprived.

The only effects the various "tones" have given me is a headache. They work for some people, but not for me so I would skip that if it doesn't work for you. I've had plenty of LDs without them.

McAlistair wrote: I have a sleep diary (not very successful but still), I have been meditating during the day and doing my reality checks (although the more time goes on the harder i find it to sincerely ask myself if "this is reality", as the repetition seems to dilute the emphasis), i have even started taking calea Z the last few nights, it has had no effect either.

Im pretty sure that its as much a case of perseverance and patience as anything else but starting to loose enthusiasm due to lack of any results. Does anyone else experience any of these probs or have any pointers?

These are all typical problems, even after you are successful. Bottom line, it takes a commitment and time to achieve results. There is no substitute for patience and perserverance. Good luck and stay at it!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”