wierd falling feeling

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DAZ_XT950

wierd falling feeling

Postby DAZ_XT950 » 31 Jul 2011 15:43

The other night i was attempting a WILD for the first time and i couldn't get the sleep paralysis to work or anything like that, but it felt that just as i was going to sleep i felt like i was falling extremely fast and it gave me a massive jolt and i was wide awake and my heart was racing. i was just wondering if this meant anything. Any help is appreciated.

Teh_Fuhrer

Re: wierd falling feeling

Postby Teh_Fuhrer » 01 Aug 2011 09:30

Yeah I used to get these often, Im not really sure what it meant. I think I did come across what it meant but I forgot it. But I can assume that this feeling is extreme relaxation.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 01 Aug 2011 16:16

Well, usually when attempting a WILD, people tend to feel their body either float up off the bed or fall through the bed, and that signifies when the have entered sleep paralysis and are on the verge of a lucid dream. I don't think, however, a falling feeling like that would signify sleep paralysis, because that falling feeling normally would wake a person up, like what happened to you. I could be wrong though so don't hold me to it. I do however know that when you are falling in your dreams it usually happens when you are under large amounts of stress, feeling overwhelmed in your waking life, or a certain sense of failure or inferiority.
The mind is a beautiful thing

DAZ_XT950

Postby DAZ_XT950 » 01 Aug 2011 23:46

I found out what this was. it is a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch or “Hypnic jerk”. It happens when your muscles/body are really relaxed and as they are just about fall asleep the brain misinterprets these relaxation signal and thinks that you are falling down or losing balance.

This happened while attempting a wild. I feel SO annoyed because getting my body to sleep and not my mind is what I am really struggling with and i would have accomplished that if this didn't happen. :x

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 02 Aug 2011 00:34

I know what you are talking about, I am in the same boat as you. I can't tell you how many times I've twitched myself out of relaxation. I did not know until now that that is when your on the verge of SP...
The mind is a beautiful thing

Return to “For Beginners”