Remembering dreams & awareness within

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Houman

Remembering dreams & awareness within

Postby Houman » 17 Feb 2013 20:28

I am new to this forum, and while I imagine this topic has already been covered extensively, I haven't found the help I've been seeking in earnest.

I have experienced lucid dreaming moments a couple of times in my lifetime. Back in 1985 I had been trying for over a year to "find my hands" in a dream per instructions I'd read about in a book by Carlos Castaneda. It finally happened in a dream, but the episode was a very short-lived moment.

Another time, maybe 4 years later, I woke up in a dream and looked around the room I'd gone to sleep in, and saw the same room only with very different furnishings, as though it might've been the same room many years earlier (or later?). I realized in this "dream" that it was in fact a "dream" and that I should pay attention to detail so that I could remember it later when I "woke up." Again, it was a fairly fleeting, albeit memorable and powerful moment.

My dream life is very important to me, and yet I find it very difficult to access it in the conscious manner I wish I could. I remember only bits and pieces of my dreams, if any at all. I don't smoke cannabis anymore, it was preventing me almost completely from any conscious recall or access to my dreams in my waking state. When I stopped, I enjoyed a flooding recall of dreams with rich, vivid tangibility. Although it faded somewhat over time and I experience a bit less access to dreams than I did directly several days after quitting the smoke. My ability to remember my dreams seems to be, as I mentioned, a sporadic kind of thing.

I've tried writing dream journals, right after I wake up, which helps a bit. I've also tried meditating on and focusing my intent just before sleeping, concentrating on a line I wrote on an index card that I keep next to my bed: NEXT TIME I DREAM I WANT TO REMEMBER TO RECOGNIZE THAT I'M DREAMING

But to little avail. I seem to be stuck in a pattern of just slight remembering here and there and NEVER am able to "awaken" in my dreams with enough consciousness to heighten my awareness in that state and act accordingly. It remains a separate world altogether.

I wish I could make more of my "dream" life, and be more aware and conscious during it. (At least part of me wishes this, I understand that it's highly possible and probable that I'm struggling internally with this and that I remember and interact with exactly what I truly want to, deep down)

Is there anything anyone could help me with, any tips, pointers, or suggestions that might help me broaden and increase my abilities otherwise?

Thank you so much for any response.

Houman

taniaaust1

Re: Remembering dreams & awareness within

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Feb 2013 01:13

Instead of trying to get awareness while already in a dream... have you worked on trying wake induced lucid dreaming instead (WILD)? Then you are aware the whole time and dont have to like wake consciously up during a dream.

The other thing I think which helps increase "awareness" (awareness of all kinds and Ive found can be greatly helpful to remembering dreams or becoming lucid) is to do energy raising exercises. There are many different techniques for doing that and many OBE books explain how to do this eg the book "Astral Projection" by Denning and Phillps has a very good energy raising technique in it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Houman

Re: Remembering dreams & awareness within

Postby Houman » 18 Feb 2013 18:29

Thanks for your helpful thoughts, I'll check that book out.

Return to “For Beginners”