Nicotine patches and accidental lucid dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Boopy

Nicotine patches and accidental lucid dream

Postby Boopy » 10 Mar 2013 23:43

Hi all. The reason I sought this forum out was because I became lucid in a dream last night but I wasn't even trying to. I have been wearing nicotine patches to quit smoking and as previously when I've gone through this quit process I have unbelievably vivid wild dreams. This actually makes it very hard for me to get off the patches because I look forward to the dreams. Last summer I weaned off the patch and it felt as if my dream world had gone dark. I literally woke up in the morning with this feeling of loss. A few months later I relapsed for a period and went back on the patch and of course loving my dreams every night.

I am currently down to the 7 mg lowest dose patch and I feel my dreams slipping away again. But last night I had a lucid dream for the first time in my life. I woke up at 5:30 (normal wake up time is about 7 a.m.) rolled over and went back to sleep. During the course of a long tortuous crazy wild vivid dream I just suddenly realized that I was dreaming. I was looking at a mosaic pattern in a hallway and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. It was such a WOW moment. Even though I fully realized that I was dreaming I could do nothing about it. The dream just kept on going and I eventually forgot that I was dreaming. When I woke up I immediately starting reviewing the dream not wanting to forget! And so here I am.... looking for information on lucid dreams again.

About 15 yrs ago I halfheartedly researched and tried to induce lucid dreams but to no avail. From reading a bit on this website I do see that it will take some work and dedication this time. My question though is about the patches. Although I am tempted to keep the patches on to help my dreaming I know that nicotine is not good for my body in many ways (I have high blood pressure when on them too). I obviously need to continue the weaning process and get off them but I just DREAD the blackness of my dream world. Do you think that coming off the patches will actually hinder my ability to have more lucid dreams?

taniaaust1

Re: Nicotine patches and accidental lucid dream

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Mar 2013 01:38

Its sounds as if it may thou now that you've experienced one lucid dream.. it "may" be easier to have another. You could also try looking into supplements are non unhealthy things to help to induce them. Risking something like lung cancer (and the other health affects) for lucid dreams, just isnt a good way to go.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 11 Mar 2013 14:13

Nice story of yours, I'm very glad you are back to lucid dreaming. I guess I can safely say that your case is mental. You are used to having vivid dream with the patch on, and now you became mentally linked to the fact that the patch is associated with intensifying your dreams. As you said, nicotine is not good for your body, and neither is it good for your dreams. You need to refresh your mind about the ability to have controllable lucid dreams, without the need of external aid. Read (or reread) some articles Rebecca posted on this site, as they can help you to get rid of the blackness that you have issues with, and to create dream worlds of your choice.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

deepakkumaar97

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 11 Mar 2013 14:42

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:Nice story of yours, I'm very glad you are back to lucid dreaming. I guess I can safely say that your case is mental. You are used to having vivid dream with the patch on, and now you became mentally linked to the fact that the patch is associated with intensifying your dreams.

I don't agree with it, smokers' and alcohol users' dreams are less vivid compared to others and the nicotine patches may have helped you to have very vivid dreams( maybe even more vivid than normal people's), but see if it will harm you in other ways, I would say if you really want to have vivid dreams or LDs you should quit smoking.
I also read that smoking and alcohol using hinders dreams' vividness in this site(not forum) by Rebecca.
Do a reality check

Boopy

Postby Boopy » 11 Mar 2013 16:01

Thanks for the feedback. The thing is that I don't smoke and haven't smoked in quite awhile but I'd say I'm more addicted to nicotine and wearing those patches. As I said I'm weaning off the patches because I know I have to and am quite confident that I won't smoke again. I guess I will have to get used to the lack of vividness in my dreams and work on becoming lucid again so that I can have that to look forward to. I'm very much a dreamer. I've always had many many dreams and never have trouble recalling several per night. I practiced reality checks all day yesterday and repeated affirmations before going to sleep. I dreamed prolifically in the last couple hours before I awoke but no lucid dream last night. I did write down everything I remembered. I'll keep working at it.

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 11 Mar 2013 18:11

deepakkumaar97 wrote:I don't agree with it, smokers' and alcohol users' dreams are less vivid compared to others and the nicotine patches may have helped you to have very vivid dreams( maybe even more vivid than normal people's), but see if it will harm you in other ways, I would say if you really want to have vivid dreams or LDs you should quit smoking.
I also read that smoking and alcohol using hinders dreams' vividness in this site(not forum) by Rebecca.

You've got me wrong. I meant to say that the patch doesn't actually have any direct effect on inducing vivid or even lucid dreams. It's a mental state that began to exist when he used to put the patch on. It may have been completely by chance that when he used the patch, at the same night, he randomly had a vivid dream. That way, the subconscious started to build the thought of possible association of the patch with vivid dreams, saying "Well, I think I must now create more vivid dreams for him, since whenever he puts the patch on, vivid, intense or meaningful dreams occur."
Of course that is just by total luck that he planted that idea in his mind. At least that's what I think must have happened, because in reality, patches, pills or any other form of so-called "answers to instant lucid dreams" never actually exist. Clear now? I hope so. :)
It's true what you said about smoke and alcohol and I completely agree. They reduce the chance of having vivid or meaningful lucid or regular dreams by huge factors, and anyone whose attempting to lucid dream must completely get rid of those habits first.

Boopy wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The thing is that I don't smoke and haven't smoked in quite awhile but I'd say I'm more addicted to nicotine and wearing those patches. As I said I'm weaning off the patches because I know I have to and am quite confident that I won't smoke again. I guess I will have to get used to the lack of vividness in my dreams and work on becoming lucid again so that I can have that to look forward to. I'm very much a dreamer. I've always had many many dreams and never have trouble recalling several per night. I practiced reality checks all day yesterday and repeated affirmations before going to sleep. I dreamed prolifically in the last couple hours before I awoke but no lucid dream last night. I did write down everything I remembered. I'll keep working at it.

I'm glad you are working hard to rebuild yourself. Keep it up!
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Mar 2013 19:18

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:Nice story of yours, I'm very glad you are back to lucid dreaming. I guess I can safely say that your case is mental. You are used to having vivid dream with the patch on, and now you became mentally linked to the fact that the patch is associated with intensifying your dreams. As you said, nicotine is not good for your body, and neither is it good for your dreams. You need to refresh your mind about the ability to have controllable lucid dreams, without the need of external aid. Read (or reread) some articles Rebecca posted on this site, as they can help you to get rid of the blackness that you have issues with, and to create dream worlds of your choice.

I think its hard to say whether he's programmed himself to think that drug helps him to LD and hence he then does or if its the drug really impacting him some in that way.

When it comes to any form of drugs.. "side effects" of them can be quite individual, a drug may have completely opposite responses for different people. eg what may give one person a headache may help headaches for another person, same goes for any other side effect of a drug. I dont see why the side effect as far as dreaming goes may be any different from the way side effects can happen with drugs and it all being a very individual thing (thou of cause some effects are more common their others). Unexpected side effects eg side affects to something completely opposite to what one would think would occur are called "paradoxial reactions"..

But yeah.. it could also be to do with what he's programmed himself to think the drug does..
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

mscee

Postby mscee » 01 Dec 2013 12:16

:shock: This is my umpteenth time trying to quit smoking. I am ashamed that I continue to reach for cigarettes during times of stress. It's like i'm a hamster running around on the wheel in the cage. Everytime I use the patches at night, I dream some of the craziest dreams. They are so scary and off the wall. They are extrememly vivid and feels as if my mind is racing out of control. It gets so bad that while I am in the dream, when it gets too out of control, I force myself to wake up. I neglect to take the patch off at bedtime out of fear of experiencing a painful withdrawl episode knowing good and well that the dreams are much more painful than the withdrawl symptoms. This a.m., I dreamed that one of my co-workers was shot right in front of me; I woke up scared as h.e. double hockey sticks! Very tired and exhaused, I immediately fell asleep right after the first episode. I had another dream that I was driving around town in my ex-friend's car-I must have borrowed it and neglected to return it. Driving around town aimlessly, looking and feeling lost. I even dreamed that someone in a group of pedestrians threw a chicken nugget through the window. It hit me right on my face! Then, I went from driving the car to riding around town on a black bike. I rode it up and down winding hills and through neighborhoods, legs hurting and lungs exhaustively gasping for air until I realized that I had somehow transitioned from effortlessly driving around in a car to physically riding around on a mountain bike. In the dream, I came to the conclusion that I must have kept my friends car way too long (without her consent). In the process, I must have misplaced or lost the car (reason why I was on the bike); and, I believed that I needed help finding it in order to return it to my friend that was going to be furious that I kept it so long. Instead of calling the police, my father showed up in my dream. To make a long story shorter, I woke myself up. It felt as if I was seconds away from plunging off a cliff overlooking a deep body of water. I hate cigarettes, nicotine, and the nicotine patch. I hope to never, ever pick up a cigarette again...I hope.

vincexs

Postby vincexs » 03 Jan 2014 09:06

it could also be to do with what he's programmed himself to think the drug does..

http://www.mmo2k.com/FIFA-14-2515/

Return to “For Beginners”