The Fear!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
hatchha

The Fear!

Postby hatchha » 23 Mar 2013 11:17

first of all hello everyone,
I find this a fascinating topic. i want to get some feedback and share on experiences. Because the main thing that's holding me back from trying lucid dreaming is fear.
When i was teenager i had this recurring experience of realizing i was dreaming, quite often in a nightmare. I would do my best to try and wake myself up (like biting my tongue) I cant describe the panic that would grip me when I couldn't wake myself from the dream. What would happen is that I would wake up (or think i woke up) only to realize i am still asleep. this would repeat a few times, sometimes several times, of waking up and waking up in the dream and thinking i was awake but then realize i'm still dreaming.

One example, i woke up and I ran into my mum's bed because i was scared. my mum started to hug me, but then squeezed harder and harder until i could not breath. It wasn't my mother, it was an old decaying woman like a zombie, who wouldn't let me go. I realized i was still was asleep. i tried to wake myself up, i woke up. then I felt arms around me, the old woman was in my bed, squeezing me . In this dream It took a series of dream wakeups before I was truly awake. my mouth was full of blood from biting my tongue.

Im 32 now. I don't even recognize i am a asleep anymore. I must of turned it off. I've only just heard of lucid dreaming. But remembered as a teenage,r being awake and aware in my dreams. I would like to try it and learn how to control it. first I will do lots of study on the subject and lurck the hell out of this forum. Has anyone got similar experiences to mine. Do you feel fear when you lucid dream? Also what do you do when you want to wake up.

wow i didn't mean to write this much. I'll stop writing now.

thanks

tea

Re: The Fear!

Postby tea » 23 Mar 2013 15:52

hi! nice to hear you're interested in lucid dreaming!

what you described are "false awakenings", you can read more about that here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/false-awakenings.html

have you checked out the non-forum part of thise website? i can only recommend you to ;)

in fact, i find it easiest to answer your questions with simply another link: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/escaping-from-nightmares.html :D

so, all in all i'd say that being afraid of lucid dreaming because of some kind of fear really is like being afraid of eating because of stomach rumbles^^

by the way, cool dream report! i understand that it has not been that awesome for you when you experienced it, but i'm happy you did share it with us!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 23 Mar 2013 20:08

tea wrote:so, all in all i'd say that being afraid of lucid dreaming because of some kind of fear really is like being afraid of eating because of stomach rumbles^^

Exactly, it's like fear of the unknown. Lucid dreaming is a wonderful tool to get along with yourself, literally. Those fears are just a manifestation of your own. Expectations guide experiences in dreams, and if you expect to be scared, you actually will be. Don't give attention to that, and you'll find yourself in joy. It's that easy! Also, be sure to read the following article, as it'll give you steps on how to analyze your nightmares, or dreams, and associate them with life issues. You might have gotten those nightmares as a result of feeling unpleasant in real life, and therefore, your subconsciousness made you dream about them as a way to alert you.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/meaning-behind-dreams.html
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Mar 2013 21:46

Cause you played into the fear situation when young hence intensifying your dreams, it probably helped hold you then in the dreams hence then the false awakenings.

The best way to deal with any scary stuff in dreams is to use your logic that it isnt real, keep telling yourself that and see the scary thing as just like a halluncination and face it while realising cause its a dream you can have control over these situations.

When I had a creepy demon in a lucid dream (I was on a row boat with it out in the middle of a ocean).. I just closed my eyes and willed him into a innocent little boy.. hence he was just that when I opened my eyes again. (that isnt to say it wasnt scary to shut my eyes when I had a dream demon within almost reach of me.. but thou I was scared, I knew it was a dream and hence knew it was in my power to change it thou my dreams do seem very real).

So fight the fear using logic and your own mental power. Dont doubt you are powerful in what you can create in your dream. You yourself were creating the false awakenings due to just having the thought "I want to wake up". Use your mind in the same way to create what you want in your dreams.

Rather then trying to wake up due to fear... which just puts you at risk of false awakening and just is giving the dreams more power) so I personallly dont suggest to try to wake yourself up under this situation esp since you already are prone to the FA.. instead face the actual dream situation so you can let go of this fear once and for all knowing you can have control over your own dreams.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

hatchha

Postby hatchha » 25 Mar 2013 16:09

thank you for your replies.
I have learned heaps more on the subject since I first posted by reading the blogs and watching documentaries. Maybe I should of done this before I posted :), I wanted to say hi anyway.
If i am lucky enough to have a lucid nightmare again, I would embrace it.

I started reality checks and I brought a real cool looking book for journals.
I made my first entry this morning. I might as well share it because i only got a few lines down. It made me laugh when i read it this afternoon.
" Gods with heads made of stone,
they're trying to kill us,
I'm imprisoned in a cell for safety,
One of them cuts though the door.
I am given a task of waking 3 heads."
That's all i got.
I remember there was so much more to the dream, it was full on. But this was all I could extract and articulate.

Do you think it best to try and write in chronological order. Or just get whatever you can pull out of your head and write it down.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Mar 2013 06:46

just put down what you can... I find as I write, usually more details come to me. Like yourself if I only take down a few notes, I often when I wake in the morning cant remember much more. (so unfortunately I find I need to write my dreams as full as I can at the time).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”