Lucid Dreaming and Stress

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
CarissaAndrea

Lucid Dreaming and Stress

Postby CarissaAndrea » 26 Mar 2013 03:54

Hello everyone! So I randomly came across an article on lucid dreaming about two years ago, and it interested me, and made me want to read more about it. I did what the site told me to do. I did many reality checks. For me, the reality check would be to look at my hands, and then run them along something to see if it felt real, and then to tell myself, "I'm awake," while looking at my hands. After doing this for one day, the next day, I automatically was doing it every 2 hours, or so, without having to try to remember to do it. It came naturally.

Then, by some strange coincidence, my sister showed me this cartoon-type of movie about dreaming, and lucid dreaming. That night before I went to sleep, I thought about it alot, did one last reality check, and fell asleep. It turns out the reality checks, and reading, or watching things about lucid dreaming was all I needed to make myself lucid. THAT night I had my first lucid dream. It's so hard to describe. I walked around in the dream, and said, "Am I awake?" And I told myself, no I wasn't, but what's strange is I never looked at my hands, like I do when I'm actually awake. I just knew I was dreaming. I could then make things appear just by thinking about them, and when I wanted something to go away, it would be gone in less than a second. I would think about people I wanted to see, and I could actually hear footsteps coming up stairs (stairs that I could not see in the dream, but I could actually hear their footsteps!) and and then they'd suddenly be in front of me. I tried it with about ten people I wanted to see, and it worked every time! And then I thought about different places. Right when I thought about a subway in NYC, I appeared on one, and there were people riding with me, but I didn't know anyone. I did try to start a conversation with one girl sitting next to me, just to see if it would work, and all she said was her name, which I now forget. Many things happened in this one dream. Things, people, and places disappeared, or appeared with my control.

It was the craziest experience I've ever had, and at some point, I felt the dream start to slip away. I don't really know how to describe it other than that, but it felt like it was going to end soon, so I said out loud in the dream, "I want to wake up." I woke up that second, and right away, I ran downstairs to tell my sister what had happened, because I was so excited haha!

I ended up having about 3 more lucid dreams that became stronger and stronger over the next couple months by just using the reality checks. But then I moved to this new house, enrolled in a harder university where I go to school full-time, and I get so stressed out that blood vessels actually break in my eyes. I think the stress is not allowing me to lucid dream anymore. I try, but ever since I moved here; I get nothing. Sometimes I can tell a lucid dream is about to start, but then it fades away, and I wake up. It's weird. Does stress have an influence on this ability? It sucks, because I learned to do it in 2 days, but now it doesn't seem to work no matter what I do! Any help will be appreciated!

-Carissa

Peter

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Stress

Postby Peter » 26 Mar 2013 05:41

I am not sure that stress itself has a big impact as I feel stress is a simple word for a lot of issues and some affect and some dont. Lack of sleep is a big one if this is the issue then yes it will affect you big time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

CarissaAndrea

Postby CarissaAndrea » 26 Mar 2013 06:24

Yes, my homework, etc, prevents me from getting sleep. If I get any sleep at all, it's 3 to 4 hours, so that's probably one of the main reasons. Thank you!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Mar 2013 06:29

The reality check part of running your hands along something to feel if it feels real.. I strongly suggest not to do that in your reality checking as things in dreams usually feel just as real as real life. With that check it is likely to help make you think that a dream isnt a dream.

Health issues can majorly affect ones ability to LD (I know that only too well) and I wouldnt be surprised if stress does impact too... of cause stress can affect sleep which in turn can affect LD.

Make sure too that you dont go convincing yourself that LD is hard to do or you cant do it..as that too will affect how easy or hard it is to LD. As you already know LD can be easy under the right conditions..sounds like the way your current life is, isnt conductive to LD.

and said, "Am I awake?" And I told myself, no I wasn't, but what's strange is I never looked at my hands, like I do when I'm actually awake. I just knew I was dreaming

Im the same and dont do reality checks to know if Im dreaming once I became lucid enough to just question if Im dreaming or not, I tend to just know.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

CarissaAndrea

Postby CarissaAndrea » 26 Mar 2013 07:35

Thank you! I also saw on another post that you said to keep a dream journal, so I am going to start doing that starting tonight! :)

Return to “For Beginners”