Hello dreamers

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Iter_Itineris

Hello dreamers

Postby Iter_Itineris » 06 Apr 2013 01:42

Hey everyone, I'm obviously new here, but I've been aware of lucid dreaming for years, and today I have decided to learn to do it.

Right now I only have the vaguest idea of the steps needed to accomplish regular lucid dreaming, but I will be heading over to the FAQ section after writing this introduction.

I'm here, specifically, because I had the weirdest dream while I was sleeping, and when I woke up today I could remember large chunks from throughout the dream's entirety. Most of my dreams I don't remember, unaware that I was actually dreaming during the night (although intellectually I know I did). Every now and then, I have the most vivid dreams, so vivid that I will wake, and clearly remember the colors, smells, sounds... the plot of the dream - how the scene to scene progression changed, etc. I had one of those dreams over the night, and it frustrates me that most of it has faded already.

My goal concerning me being here today, is to learn to lucid dream so that I can gain a form of control over my dreams. I want to control my dreams (to whatever degree is possible) for the purpose of heightened awareness during the dream. Being more aware while dreaming will let me get a better look at what is going on around me in the dream. And I hope to develop the skills to translate some of my dreams into drawings upon waking, and eventually, turn those drawings into animations.

I know - animation. Honestly I believe it will be my best, most realistic chance of successfully translating scenery, sounds, and imagery that will typically not be standard, into something visual that combines image and sound, and allows it to be observed in a way that shows the passage of time as it occurs in the dream. The tools to self-create animation are readily available, and will only require effort to become proficient at creating it.

To my knowledge, there are only two artistic works that have come directly from a dream. Check that, I just looked around a bit, and there are a multitude of artistic creations that were inspired by dreams. Paintings, books, and poems. I was going to refer to "Kubla Khan" the poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which was interrupted by a salesman, and never finished. It turns out though, that the book series "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer was initially inspired from a dream, "Misery" by Stephen King, "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stephenson, and a personal favorite "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach. Five famous books all inspired by dreams, found in 30 seconds from a Google search.

My ultimate goal is a bit more grandiose I'm afraid, I am going to attempt to directly translate a dream to a visual medium (animation), so that myself and others can see literally what goes on in my head when I'm asleep.

I realize this project will take time to realize, and I will need to develop several new skill sets to be successful. To my knowledge this has never been done, and I think it will be awesome if I can accomplish this feat.

Went on too long, a failing of mine. Step one in this whole adventure is to learn how to lucid dream, and it seems this is the place where I can find guidance in this.

My name is Clay, and I'm a guy who wants to learn to see my dreams more clearly. Peace.

Je-Je

Re: Hello dreamers

Postby Je-Je » 06 Apr 2013 06:59

You are the Welcome here ;) . Wish you succeed in your animation and in lucid dreaming. You could also present you on my forum "New members present you here" :D
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Iter_Itineris

Postby Iter_Itineris » 07 Apr 2013 06:14

Thanks for the welcome Je-Je,

I did see that forum, but everyone who posted there had done so already having their first lucid dream, so I figured I'd hit it up after that happens. Hopefully it won't take 3 months.

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 07 Apr 2013 11:21

Iter_Itineris wrote:Thanks for the welcome Je-Je,

I did see that forum, but everyone who posted there had done so already having their first lucid dream, so I figured I'd hit it up after that happens. Hopefully it won't take 3 months.

Doesnt matter if you didnt have your LD yet, you can always post ;)
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Apr 2013 09:58

My ultimate goal is a bit more grandiose I'm afraid, I am going to attempt to directly translate a dream to a visual medium (animation), so that myself and others can see literally what goes on in my head when I'm asleep.

Sounds a cool goal.

Ive been trying to learn to paint scenes from my dreams. I love dreams due to the creativity of our subconciousness. I'd think there is animation out there already based on someones dreams thou I cant currently point you to it.. but Ive found that many lucid dreamers are quite creative so their would be quite a few around into animation.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 08 Apr 2013 13:10

Iter_Itineris wrote:Hey everyone, I'm obviously new here, but I've been aware of lucid dreaming for years, and today I have decided to learn to do it.

Right now I only have the vaguest idea of the steps needed to accomplish regular lucid dreaming, but I will be heading over to the FAQ section after writing this introduction.

I'm here, specifically, because I had the weirdest dream while I was sleeping, and when I woke up today I could remember large chunks from throughout the dream's entirety. Most of my dreams I don't remember, unaware that I was actually dreaming during the night (although intellectually I know I did). Every now and then, I have the most vivid dreams, so vivid that I will wake, and clearly remember the colors, smells, sounds... the plot of the dream - how the scene to scene progression changed, etc. I had one of those dreams over the night, and it frustrates me that most of it has faded already.

My goal concerning me being here today, is to learn to lucid dream so that I can gain a form of control over my dreams. I want to control my dreams (to whatever degree is possible) for the purpose of heightened awareness during the dream. Being more aware while dreaming will let me get a better look at what is going on around me in the dream. And I hope to develop the skills to translate some of my dreams into drawings upon waking, and eventually, turn those drawings into animations.

I know - animation. Honestly I believe it will be my best, most realistic chance of successfully translating scenery, sounds, and imagery that will typically not be standard, into something visual that combines image and sound, and allows it to be observed in a way that shows the passage of time as it occurs in the dream. The tools to self-create animation are readily available, and will only require effort to become proficient at creating it.

To my knowledge, there are only two artistic works that have come directly from a dream. Check that, I just looked around a bit, and there are a multitude of artistic creations that were inspired by dreams. Paintings, books, and poems. I was going to refer to "Kubla Khan" the poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which was interrupted by a salesman, and never finished. It turns out though, that the book series "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer was initially inspired from a dream, "Misery" by Stephen King, "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stephenson, and a personal favorite "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach. Five famous books all inspired by dreams, found in 30 seconds from a Google search.

I realize this project will take time to realize, and I will need to develop several new skill sets to be successful. To my knowledge this has never been done, and I think it will be awesome if I can accomplish this feat.

Went on too long, a failing of mine. Step one in this whole adventure is to learn how to lucid dream, and it seems this is the place where I can find guidance in this.

My name is Clay, and I'm a guy who wants to learn to see my dreams more clearly. Peace.

Welcome to the forums. You and I seem to be on the same page regarding dream-inspired creative art. I always had the idea of turning a dream into a piece of art, and interpret what I've experienced in my dreams into real life as best as I can, so other people can get a taste of what it is like to lucid dream. But, I didn't know how to do it exactly. If you stay on-track, you can hopefully make something out of your dreams.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

Oneirophile

Postby Oneirophile » 22 Apr 2013 12:03

Hi Iter

As you may know, dreams have inspired both the arts and sciences. The Beatles song "Yesterday" come to McCartney in a dream. The structure of benzene came to Kekule in a dream. There are many other examples. But it's important to differentiate between ideas from dreams and ideas from lucid dreams. Lucy has a good round-up here of the latter: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/famous-lucid-dreamers.html

You'll see Richard Linklater at (8) in that link. He has used dreams with animation in two films.

All the best.

Return to “For Beginners”