Hypagogia Help

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dylan101

Hypagogia Help

Postby dylan101 » 02 Oct 2011 05:52

Ok. I just started getting into this yesterday. Last night i attempted a WILD (kinda stupid i know). I was relaxed and calm(Step 1). I was lying there for about 10-15 mins. I had trouble experiencing hypagogia. all i could see was blank. i was really focusing on having a clear mind and creating my dream scene.

But, i think there was a good sign. i was really being tempted to flex and turn over. plz tell me this is good.

But staying on topic all i could see was black and that yellow fuzziness wen u close ur eyes.
Plzzzzzzzzzz help me. :) :)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Hypagogia Help

Postby Rebecca » 02 Oct 2011 05:59

It's a good start and every bit of practice helps in your long term goal, I think.

The desire to move is sometimes called the "roll over signal" and this is a REALLY good sign. It's your brain's ways of saying to your body "are you asleep yet?" If you are relaxed enough, the next stage is sleep paralysis and I wouldn't mind betting you were close.

Next time, allow yourself to relax even more (physically and mentally) if that's possible and don't worry about hypnagogia. Sometimes you can go straight into visualizations and walk into the lucid dream. In fact some people say you should totally IGNORE the hypnagogia from the outset, but I find it helpful to know where I'm at in the cycle. It's also very relax to play with the imagery, make faces of people you know and start influencing the memory impressions that quickly turn into dreams.

Nick Newport did some guest articles for the site which go into great detail about this phase:

Part 1 of 5
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/waking-sleep-paralysis.html

dylan101

Postby dylan101 » 02 Oct 2011 06:29

WOW! Thankyou so much for replying so quickly u made my day. But im 13 and im going to try summarise wat u said.

The urge to move was 'good'.
i should relax more and fully go through with it.
ignore step 2 and dont worry about hypagogia and just go straight into creating the dream scene.
feel free to coreect me if im erong.
And the last sentence i didnt really get so.

Also i need your opinion on wether to do meditation or self hypnosis before bed. and i think i might try a simpler technique like WBTB or MILD.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Oct 2011 04:23

My last sentence:

Rebecca wrote:It's also very relax to play with the imagery, make faces of people you know and start influencing the memory impressions that quickly turn into dreams.

...meant that you can "play with" or "manipulate" your own hypnagogia. Most people don't know this, but if you see some swirling blobs of color or moving patterns as you fall asleep... you can totally control it just by WILLING it into a specific shape or movement.

Start off with easy things like a big square (say SQUARE in your mind if it helps), then visualize it. Usually, a square will appear in your hypnagogia. Then try more complex patterns... and very soon you'll be able to "see" all sorts of complicated imagery, from the faces of loved ones to entire landscapes.

This can eventually lead into dreamscapes. You will have already experienced these automatic dreamscapes when you fall asleep. Ever been on the verge of sleep and woken up with a sudden memory of being in a field or hearing someone's voice vividly? These are "memory impressions".

So, with this method, you're deliberately influencing your memory impressions, by consciously guiding your hypnagogia. This is about the easiest way I know to have a Wake Induced Lucid Dream. It doesn't generally involve sleep paralysis and is kinda playful and creative in its approach.

PS - To answer your other question, BOTH meditation and self hypnosis are powerful tools in lucid dreaming, so give them both a go. Meditate every day for 30 mins for one week, then do self hypnosis for a week, and switch off between the two until you get a sense of which one is more effective for programming your dreams and/or becoming lucid.

In an ideal world, everyone would meditate for at least an hour ever day. It's the most rewarding practice once you "get" it. And there is nothing stopping you from meditating effectively at any age as long as you have the minimum conscious focus that any healthy person has.

dylan101

Postby dylan101 » 03 Oct 2011 06:15

Man!! The effects of this are starting already. Last night my dream was really clear and i was acting normal and doing normal stuff. I couldn't control and forgot to reality check but it was so clear.
I also attempted at having an OBE. WOW! It was so cool. i was so relaxed and my limbs were so heavy. And i was at the 'falling' stage. i felt like my mind was moving in all different directions. I thought i was really going to have one, until my sister turned on the light.

But im practising my MILD in the arvo and doing self hypnosis before bed. Next week i might do meditation lying down. And meditating for 15 min everyday. Now im going to do it for longer.

Finally, im going to focus on hypnagogia and being creative

P.S
Can u experience OBEs during arfternoon naps

Thankyou, dylan101

Return to “For Beginners”