Hi

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
PaulG

Hi

Postby PaulG » 02 May 2011 20:41

Hi everyone.

Lucid dreaming was a natural thing for me when I was little (many years ago). As time has passed I seemed to have lost that ability and am now looking to get it back. Excellent website BTW which made me aware of Xphirience which I had never heard of before but find amazing as I now have a few of the recordings. I have been using brainwave entrainment (mind machines, hemi-sync, Dr. Jeffrey Thompson etc.) for the last 15 years, mainly for general relaxation / meditation but now want to concentrate on getting my lucid dreams back. I do have more dream recall since using brainwave entrainment but now want to go the extra step and become lucid, so that why I'm here.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Hi

Postby Rebecca » 03 May 2011 01:02

Hi Paul

Welcome :D
Glad you enjoy the website.
Sounds like you have a lot of good info to share too!

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 04 May 2011 07:47

Welcome, Paul! I agree with Rebecca -- sounds like you have a lot of knowledge. Will be watching for your posts in the future!

PaulG

Postby PaulG » 06 May 2011 02:52

Hi

I am looking forward to sharing my knowledge. Although I'm no expert, I have read my fair share of brainwave material over the years, mainly so I can make informed choices myself regarding my meditation practice. I currently own the Mindlab Proteus, DAVID PAL 36 & Laxman mind machines. Research has shown that flashing light is 2 - 3 times more effective at inducing brainwave states compared to sound, so with a little effort and dedication maybe these will be excellent tools for inducing lucid dreams. My audio collection is mainly made up of Hemi-Sync and titles by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson of which there are many. I also have a few by Dane Spotts of Mind-Tek and these CD's are based on the technology used by the U.S. Military in their Stargate remote-viewing program. I also have quite a lot of other bits and bobs (too many to mention here). Whilst the vast majority are not related to lucid dreaming, as such, most are meditative in style and I would image that quite a lot will induce a brainwave state similar to products that are dedicated to lucid dreaming, so these will hopefully be helpful too.

I have actually learned a bit more about brainwave states over the last few weeks and this came about with what I at first thought was an error on your website (this might still be an error, but it depends on how you look at it). I noticed on your brainwave chart that you have the brainwave state which is <0.5 Hz listed as Lamda (I always spell it Lambda as this is how it appears on a Dr. Jeffrey Thompson CD I have). However I have always known this state as Epsilon and Lambda as 200 Hz. I know there are a few discrepancies about what the boundaries are within each brainwave state, in terms of Hz, but the names are always the same within the boundaries. Just to make sure I was right about Epsilon I decided to do a few searches and also went to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's website, who has done a lot of research on brainwaves over the last few decades and came across a few things I was unaware of before (it something I still can't get my head around, but I'm working on it). For some reason (don't ask me how) an idea suddenly popped into my head as to why some people have lucid dreams and others don't, at least from a brainwave perspective.

This new information I became aware of also answered a few questions that I had wondered about in the past. I have a few CDs by Dr.Jeffrey Thompson called Gamma and Hyper Gamma meditation and also a Lambda CD, but could never understand why they were referred to as meditation CDs, as these brainwave states are a lot faster than even beta which is not very meditative at all. I am aware that too much beta activity over prolonged periods can be stressful and as these CDs induce faster brainwave activity than beta (or so I thought) was reluctant to use them. However it seems they don't work that way at all but induce slower (or very slow) brainwave activity to induce faster brainwave activity. Confused? I am. Another thing I could never understand is why research has shown that Tibetan & Buddhist monks produce lots of Gamma and Hyper Gamma brainwaves. As they tend to meditate a lot I assumed they wouldn't produce very much Gamma or Hyper Gamma at all, but mostly produce Alpha and Theta brainwaves which is more associated with meditation, so whats going on there?

Apparently, it seems these faster brainwaves actually rely on slower (or very slow) brainwave activity. Research has shown through EEG equipment that very slow Epsilon brainwaves have "within them" very fast Hyper Gamma / Lambda brainwaves and by the same token very fast Hyper Gamma and Lambda brainwaves seem to "ride" on the very slow Epsilon brainwave frequency. So is this what causes people to lucid dream or at least become more aware in their dreams and why deep meditation have proven to be very good at inducing lucid dreams? You go to sleep one night and during the sleep cycle you drift down into deep Delta / Epsilon and whilst that is the dominant brainwave state at that time that keeps you asleep, these little bursts of very fast Hyper Gamma / Lambda brainwaves "within" the very slow brainwaves is the reason what causes you to become more aware or even lucid whilst remaining asleep. Maybe I'm wrong on this as I've read dreaming (normal dreaming at least) is more to do with the Theta state, but then again maybe Theta brainwaves, which are still slow, also have "within them" bursts of very fast brainwaves (like Gamma). Whether this contradicts any research done I don't know, but my inkling at the moment is that the slower your brainwaves become, the faster these little bursts of brainwave activity "within" the slower brainwave activity become.

Maybe these very fast brainwave states are not really dominant brainwave states at all (as I have assumed in the past) like Alpha or Beta can sometimes be, but more like "little" brainwave states within a dominant slower brainwave state.

Return to “For Beginners”