What am I doing wrong?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Kaylium

What am I doing wrong?

Postby Kaylium » 20 Jun 2013 21:38

OK, here's what's been happening the last few nights: I've been trying the WILD technique, but I somehow fall asleep before I see hypnagogia. I lay down, stay still, and in my head, I repeat "one...I'm dreaming, two..I'm dreaming, etc". I never see any hypnagogia. I repeat the lines for a few minutes, then I just fall asleep. Is there something I'm doing wrong?? (just so you know, the very first time I tried this I saw a bunch of hypnagogia. But, then I felt weird so I opened my eyes). :D

SarahDank

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby SarahDank » 21 Jun 2013 01:31

You need to make sure you remind yourself what exactly it is you are trying to do.. and let yourself relax into it. as you said you started to feel weird so you opened your eyes.. you may have been feeling numbness?

it's best to just observe the thoughts and imagery that comes into your mind whilst trying to do a WILD.
What exactly freaked you out to make you open your eyes?

Kaylium

Postby Kaylium » 21 Jun 2013 05:41

I felt kind of like I was tipping off the bed. I've heard that it's normal to feel that, but it still felt so weird I had to open my eyes and make sure I wasn't actually tipping.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Jun 2013 05:49

I have no answer. Just support.
I lucid dream, but I have never been able to follow through with any technique.
I just get bored, or drift off and fall asleep.
I'm with you and feel for you. I wish I could WILD too.

However, I do lucid dream, but it is by chance and I still don't know why.
Wish I could do it on purpose though.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 07:53

Due to your past "feeling weird".. you may of signalled to your subconsciousness by your uncomfortableness over what you were feeling (other then having complete acceptance), that you dont want to LD, it can be harder to LD after things like that. (hence I think its important for anyone who plans to LD to be prepared to push throu weird feelings and stay relaxed.. I know this advice wont help you now but it may help another). You need to get your subconciousness on your side again one could say and over the "block" you created. When you succede again..praise yourself and try to go with the flow and not pull out due to fears due to whatever you may feel.. use your logic and the knowledge that strange feelings are to be expected to ignore the need to open your eyes and look, before you feel like you are actually out somewhere else.

Keep trying but if you try a technique for 3 weeks and it dont work, do then change and try a different technique. Also be aware that hypnagogic imagery isnt necessarily important for a WILD, I WILD without it. Your big issue is you fall asleep not awarely which is something you may need to train yourself out of, once in the habit of that, it will keep happening. Keep a dream journal in case you do wake up in a LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Coffey

Postby Coffey » 30 Jun 2013 03:13

I'm no expert, but I've heard things like you should get up and head to the bathroom or something small like that- intended to wake up your mind just a little bit. Not enough to put you in a state that leads to insomnia, but just enough that it makes keeping yourself conscious during a WILD a bit easier.

Such things include going to the bathroom (previously stated), doing a few math problems, or perhaps reading a page of a book.

Don't take me like I know a whole lot, though. I have yet to perform a successful WILD. :?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”