Voice of self doubt

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Voice of self doubt

Postby PegiiL » 08 Jul 2013 23:34

Nearly every time I decide to lucid dream an irritating and exasperating little voice in the back of my mind says 'it won't work'. I do try to ignore it most of the time but then it feels like it has one and a feeling of self doubt twists inside me. Most of the time I just end up battling with it and an argument goes on in my mind. 'it will,' 'it won't' 'it WILL' 'it will not.' I hate it. How can I get it to stop? It puts me down and completely distracts me during when I try to lucid dream.

Re: Voice of self doubt

Postby Dala374 » 09 Jul 2013 05:14

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still struggling with this problem, but what I've come to do is just not think about it so hard. Give your mind a rest. Meditation definitely helps quiet everything down. Get inspired and feel passionate again, as if it were the first time, and hopefully that should put any doubts to rest.

Postby Teraku » 09 Jul 2013 20:05

Weirdest thing, I have that too. But usually when that happens, I just force my dream to become lucid through willpower, that always works.

Postby HAGART » 10 Jul 2013 02:20

Lucid dreaming seems to be one of those rare things in life where if you try too hard it ruins your success.
Most of the time if you want to succeed at something, you practice and train and you get better. That is not always the case with lucid dreaming and it is not as straight forward.

Dreaming is a subconscious experience. We all dream every night without trying. It just happens!

So perhaps what we need to do is develop the subconscious intent to have a lucid dream through constant reality checks which create the habit. Our subconscious loves habits, and we can train them. Then when you go to sleep, don't think too consciously and allow yourself to sleep. If your subconscious is trained enough and formed the habit to question the possibility that you may be dreaming, it just might happen naturally on it's own. And you will question it in a dream one day.

I get many DILDs (dream induced), but still can't successfully WILD (wake induced). It's very hard and counterintuitive. How do I sleep and stay awake at the same time? I will get in an argument with myself!
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”