Several questions regarding reality checking

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Random

Several questions regarding reality checking

Postby Random » 27 Aug 2013 20:22

For about a year now, I've been quite intrigued by the idea of Lucid Dreaming, as someone who has never remembered having a conscious dream, the idea seems fairly alien to me. On and off I've been attempting to start "Training" to have a Lucid Dream. Usually this involves the norm, Reality checking, meditation, and dream journaling. That said, it wasn't until now that I've had the initiative to start trying again, and decided it would be best to get acquainted with the message boards, and to pick up some advice on the basics. I have a few questions to ask in regards to reality checking today, and over the next week I plan to post similar threads on journaling, and meditating, as those become a part of my daily routine.

1. What physical action is best when reality checking? Rebecca lists quite a few types of checks to perform, and I'm curious as to what you all suggest is good. Something low-key is optimal. In the past I've done 2 different types, examining the palm of my hand and my fingers, and really thinking about them and what they should look like, attempting to boot my mind into cognitive thinking as well as attempting to find any abnormalities. The other was the general phasing through the palm check, pushing my right middle and pointer finger into the palm of my left hand, and questioning the world around me.

2. What should question/think about when reality checking? I've been trying to figure out the best questions, but have been having trouble. What is it best to question about reality during an RC? The one I've tried is "How did I get here?", by tracing my memories of that day backwards, to the moment I woke up. That way, if I RC in a dream, I won't be able to remember anything prior to the start of the dream.

3. How long do your RC's last? Plain and simple, when you perform a check, how long do you perform your action, and question reality?

4. What is the best way to schedule your checks? I can't set an alarm on a watch or a phone because of school, but what are good times and situations to check. Going down halls? Stairs? When in an unusual situation? Randomly whenever you feel like it?

Anyhow, thanks beforehand for answering :)

tea

Re: Several questions regarding reality checking

Postby tea » 27 Aug 2013 21:59

Random wrote:For about a year now, I've been quite intrigued by the idea of Lucid Dreaming, as someone who has never remembered having a conscious dream, the idea seems fairly alien to me. On and off I've been attempting to start "Training" to have a Lucid Dream. Usually this involves the norm, Reality checking, meditation, and dream journaling. That said, it wasn't until now that I've had the initiative to start trying again, and decided it would be best to get acquainted with the message boards, and to pick up some advice on the basics. I have a few questions to ask in regards to reality checking today, and over the next week I plan to post similar threads on journaling, and meditating, as those become a part of my daily routine.

cool. make sure to check out this (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/subscribe.html) which surely will answer some of your questions, that will be showing up in the following weeks.

1. What physical action is best when reality checking? Rebecca lists quite a few types of checks to perform, and I'm curious as to what you all suggest is good. Something low-key is optimal. In the past I've done 2 different types, examining the palm of my hand and my fingers, and really thinking about them and what they should look like, attempting to boot my mind into cognitive thinking as well as attempting to find any abnormalities. The other was the general phasing through the palm check, pushing my right middle and pointer finger into the palm of my left hand, and questioning the world around me.

it depends on what works best for you. there is a way to figure out how to set your own personalized reality checks: after having gained a small collection of dreams in your journal, you can start checking them for dream signs. you'll be learning about this if you subscribe to the link above, but let me sum it up for a second:
you read through every dream and mark all dream signs. dream signs are abnormalities, weird stuff that indicate that you're dreaming – since in real life those things wouldn't/couldn't happen.
here some examples:
"... i see my own reflection in the mirror and all of a sudden my eyes quickly switch places."
"... as i hit the breaks, the car just makes a leap forward and continues with increasing speed."
"... the dream starts in a mcdonalds restaurant where my job is to guide kids around, and encourage them to bow in front of every chewing gum left on the floor."
"... in the very same moment as i kiss the metal door, i realize that this will result in a sea of ketchup."

now, after having marked all the weird stuff, you can go ahead and categorize it. rebecca talks about LaBerges' concept of four categories:
- inner awareness
- action
- form
- context

although sometimes it's hard to clearly decide for a category, every dream sign you just marked will fit in one of those. here is a neat summary from an other forum:
http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-signs-recall/79613-inner-awareness-action-form-context.html

inner awareness
There is a peculiar thought, a strong emotion, an unusual sensation, a loss of normal logic, or an altered perception.

action
The dreamer, another dream character, or a thing does something unusual or impossible in waking life, such as flying, jumping or running great distances, walking through walls, teleporting/changing the dream setting.

form
The dreamer, another character, or an object changes shape, is oddly formed, or transforms. This may include the presence of unusual clothing or hair, or a third person view of the dreamer.

context
The place or situation in the dream is strange and includes fictional characters or places.

we could actually categorize those 4 examples i made up above, right now:
the first one would be a FORM dream sign
the second ACTION
the third CONTEXT
and the fourth INNER AWARENESS

so when you go through your marked signs, always write a small symbol next to it, which repesents the category. like, for example, letters: F = form, A = action, C = context, IA = inner awareness

after you did this, you'll find that your brain prefers a specific category over the other. depending on how your mind works, it tends to have one or more "favourite" types of dream signs.

now that you know what kind of weird stuff happens in your dreams more often, it should be understandable that now you can use/make up very specific reality-checks, according to what suits best to you.

2. What should question/think about when reality checking? I've been trying to figure out the best questions, but have been having trouble. What is it best to question about reality during an RC? The one I've tried is "How did I get here?", by tracing my memories of that day backwards, to the moment I woke up. That way, if I RC in a dream, I won't be able to remember anything prior to the start of the dream.

that sounds just right. as long as you find a way to really get yourself to question reality, you'll be fine.
my questions are something like: is this a dream? really? am i sure? how can i be sure? let's make a RC to be sure.

although almost none of my dream signs fall into the FORM category, i really just use one RC: trying to poke through my palm.
i just realized that - for me - that's what i like best. probably other kinds of RCs would work better (for example, like: switching light switches – should not work as usual – that would be a RC based on ACTION dream signs) but at the time i do not give too much weight to RCs, since i'm looking for other techniques to experiment with.

3. How long do your RC's last? Plain and simple, when you perform a check, how long do you perform your action, and question reality?

i've answered this here before: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13534&p=32337#p32337

4. What is the best way to schedule your checks? I can't set an alarm on a watch or a phone because of school, but what are good times and situations to check. Going down halls? Stairs? When in an unusual situation? Randomly whenever you feel like it?

it, again, is up to you:
some people do them regularly, like, every hour or so. others simple do them when they remember (but work on remembering it as often as comfortable).
also, there is something important to consider: if you decide to base your reality checks on your personal dream sign habbit, you may want to find an other reason for checking.
example:
let's assume most of your dream signs fit into the category "inner awareness". in this case, it's wise to get used to doing reality checks whenever you find yourself having a strong, inappropriate or unusual thought or emotion throughout the day.

the easiest kinds of reality checks are FORM checks (like finger-through-palm) which is the reason many people (including me at the time) don't base their checks on their dream signs.

i hope this helped in any way.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Random

Postby Random » 28 Aug 2013 01:49

tea wrote:*tea's message here*

Wow! Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm going to start journaling in a night or two, so I'll keep all of this info in mind well writing and re-reading it, and be sure to read more on the idea of the 4 categories. This will help loads.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Aug 2013 04:58

Random wrote: In the past I've done 2 different types, examining the palm of my hand and my fingers, and really thinking about them and what they should look like, attempting to boot my mind into cognitive thinking as well as attempting to find any abnormalities.

If you are looking at your fingers and focused on them being how they usually look like, you could ruin that reality check as what a person is thinking is often created into their dream eg if you think about them looking normal, they could well then look normal in your dream.

When you do the looking at the hands check, rather then looking to see if they look normal, instead look at them with the focus on looking to see if they are abnormal . **I hope you understand what Im getting at, you are doing the same thing but looking at things in a slightly different way**

I suggest to not schedule reality checks using alarms unless you get alarms coming into your dream as otherwise you may not do the reality check in a dream without an alarm coming into the dream too. Instead its far better to schedule them according to something you know you do get in your dreams eg if you get going down stairs in your dreams, do it then. If you commonly have a certain room in your house you often get in your dreams, you could try doing it in real life everytime you enter that room etc.

In my own case I get toilets coming in heaps during my dreams so when I go to the toilet or see one, that would be a great time for me to do a reality check.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Swift

Postby Swift » 28 Aug 2013 08:23

Hey there!

One thing I found with my reality checks is that when I first used the counting finger method, I didn't really specify to myself how many fingers I was supposed to have. I remember in one of my dreams I began to wonder if I was dreaming so I counted my fingers on one hand. In my head I was going "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... fair enough" and continued on in a normal dream, not realizing that 7 is a very unusual for someone to have on one hand! XD

What I do now is count my fingers on each hand, and saying in my head "I have 5 fingers, yep, I'm awake." It may seem stupid to tell yourself that you've got 5 fingers but I guess its one of those things that people don't seem to focus on.

Before I do a reality check, I like to really think to myself "Am I dreaming?" or "Is this a dream?", which is very easy for me to assume that it could be a dream as I've had very realistic dreams where I'll finally notice that somethings out of place and then realize I'm dreaming.

I tend to do my reality checks whenever I think of lucid dreaming, remember a dream or hear someone talking about sleeping or dreams which is usually a few times per day. Just keep up with reality checks and always question if you are awake or not. Eventually you'll get there. Good luck C:

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”